Jimmy Greaves ill - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jimmy Greaves ill

Had it all and years ahead of anyone else in the game at that time - even when Best came on the scene IMO

I wonder if the 66 World Cup played a part in his alcoholism - im sure he has been asked and said it didnt but it surely must have had some effect

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Had it all and years ahead of anyone else in the game at that time - even when Best came on the scene IMO

I wonder if the 66 World Cup played a part in his alcoholism - im sure he has been asked and said it didnt but it surely must have had some effect

Watched the documentary on him, hecwas some player.

He seemed to be a disruptive character in all the dressing rooms he was in.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Death of his child possibly more likely than the world cup?

27 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Death of his child possibly more likely than the world cup?

Not sure

I think his alcoholism seemed to start after his time at Spurs

edit

Found this - very good

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/aug/25/sport.comment4

Edited by Ally Bongo

I mind in guidance class at school being shown "The Jimmy Greaves Story" a documentary made in the late 70s I think.  He mainly talked about his battle with alcoholism in it.

The quote I saw from him about the 66 World Cup was him turning up at Wembley for the final,

"Alf Ramsey put his arm around me and told me to piss off."

The whole Saint and Greavesie thing started by accident IIRC. St John had taken over presenting On The Ball from Brian Moore. Greaves became an ever more regular guest until they ended up making it a double act. Although I don't believe they were particularly close pals.

Edited by Toepoke

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Although I don't believe they were particularly close pals.

They didnt stay anywhere near each other but Greaves has said "They had a lovely relationship"

He used to tell the story that he was picked to play against us in 67 cos Ramsey had a feeling we'd turn them over and he didn't want the Scots saying they'd beaten his WC winning side.

Quite a funny guy during his Saint and Greavesie days even if the one-liners were obviously scripted.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...