Gallus - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

26 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Not sure it would be. Us Fifers would've probably said, "Whore d'ye stye the noo?"

At least they would in my part of Fife which is the east.  There's a difference between East Fifers and West Fifers.  Starting every sentence with Hessir (Hey Sir) isn't as common in the east.

Good thread. Words and accents are fascinating.

Interesting.  I am from the west coast and always used stay to mean live.

i wonder what part of Scotland uses bide?

13 minutes ago, slasher said:

Last time I heard this word widely used was in relation to a young James McFadden 😀

Funnily enough, that was who I was thinking about when I started the thread.

I remember watching him play for Motherwell against one of the old firm when he was very young and he was doing things that he had no right to do.

22 minutes ago, Denny’s Yard said:

Bide is pretty common in the Perthshire are. 

Would you say Perth has an accent then? 

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Also widely used in Scandinavia. 

Most notably Sweden ('Bra').

Donkey's years ago, Jonny (great poster) and I had a discussion on here about the origin of 'braw'. Turns out its Latinate in origin, developing from 'brave' (in the Latinate sense, most commonly seen now in the borrowed Italian 'bravo'). Its use as a general epithet of admiration came into English around the mid-1500s (Shakespeare uses it a lot: "O brave new world that has such people in't"). That sense of the word has just about died out in modern English but is retained in Scots 'braw'. It made its way to Sweden during the 17th century because of Gustavus Adolphus's military forays into Europe during the Thirty Years War.

7 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Most notably Sweden ('Bra').

Donkey's years ago, Jonny (great poster) and I had a discussion on here about the origin of 'braw'. Turns out its Latinate in origin, developing from 'brave' (in the Latinate sense, most commonly seen now in the borrowed Italian 'bravo'). Its use as a general epithet of admiration came into English around the mid-1500s (Shakespeare uses it a lot: "O brave new world that has such people in't"). That sense of the word has just about died out in modern English but is retained in Scots 'braw'. It made its way to Sweden during the 17th century because of Gustavus Adolphus's military forays into Europe during the Thirty Years War.

Also used in Bavarian German and parts of Austria. “brav-“. 

Der brave Soldat (brave has two syllables there). The good soldier. 

22 hours ago, Denny’s Yard said:

I remember, when I was a kid, being at a caravan site in Portsoy or somewhere near.  I was playing with another little boy and he asked me, ‘Where de ye bide, the noo like?’, meaning which caravan is yours.  At the time I had no idea what he meant but it has stuck in my mind.

I guess that would be a Fife accent?

Bide is well used in Abdn/shire

far ( faur ) di ye bide ?

not sure the term “bidey in” is that used much though these days

a live in partner 

always seemed kind of dated even back in 70s Aberdeen....

Not so common now but in the east of Fife folk would refer to their mother as "ma mer"  Not a lot different from the French "ma mère".  Brother was "ma brer" with the French being "mon frère".  These were about the only things we were all able to learn no problem when we did French at the high school.

Maybe just a coincidence as I don't know of any French influence around these parts.  Not a lot of wee Cantonas running aboot anyway.

"Gallus" is a cracking word and I always have associated it with Glasgow / WOS, I always used it to describe someone, confident, care free & game as fuck.

Other rarely heard  words I remember fro 70's/80's (bampot, stoater,  "ben next door", pieces (as in sandwiches), bawheid, etc etc

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2020 at 7:38 PM, glasgow jock said:

"Gallus" is a cracking word and I always have associated it with Glasgow / WOS, I always used it to describe someone, confident, care free & game as fuck.

Other rarely heard  words I remember fro 70's/80's (bampot, stoater,  "ben next door", pieces (as in sandwiches), bawheid, etc etc

I called my wife a bampot the other night and she burst out laughing as she hadn’t heard it in years. 

On 4/5/2020 at 10:24 PM, Denny’s Yard said:

Bide is widely used in Aberdeen, an example of being, if you were telling your pal about someone that you were trying to find out about, you would ask “fars he bide, or fars he fae”