Gallus - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Derives from 'gallows'. The noun had developed into an adjective meaning 'born to hang' by the 15th century (the earliest OED quote for the adjective is c. 1425: "This gallowus man toke him by the skyrtis of his palle or mantyl". It evolved from there to mean someone 'uppity', and then, for some, to the more neutral 'over-confident'.

Edited by DonnyTJS

Just now, DonnyTJS said:

Derives from 'gallows'. The noun had developed into an adjective meaning 'born to hang' by the 15th century (the earliest OED quote for the adjective is c. 1425: "This gallowus man toke him by the skyrtis of his palle or mantyl". It evolved from there to mean someone 'uppity', and then, for some, to the more neutral 'confident'.

This is what we want.

3 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

This is what we want.

All in the wonderful OED. I no longer work for an organization where I can access the online version, but I recently acquired the print version (all twelve folio volumes) from a school library that was chucking them out - a library throwing out one of the greatest reference works in the language: just insane.

4 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Is the timekeeper back for good?

I expect my appearances will be brief and infrequent. There's quite a lot going on ...

[edit: maskless in Japan]

Edited by DonnyTJS

2 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

All in the wonderful OED. I no longer work for an organization where I can access the online version, but I recently acquired the print version (all twelve folio volumes) from a school library that was chucking them out - a library throwing out one of the greatest reference works in the language: just insane.

So,

image.png.0d52232b74daeebe53453c327eea1ccc.png

image.png.1da46ab917c1b493852849e01e855d93.png

8 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Gallus, not used much anymore, pretty common 70's, absolutely no negative connotation, unless it meant a bit overconfident. Generally gallus-good.

Thats how I remember it. Was used regularly in Paisley in the 70’s and always a positive reference.
Was usually prefixed by the words ‘pure’. And ‘fucking‘. 

Not by me of course. I didn't swear in those days. 

It's a great word, although I always thought it was more an endearing adjective than seemingly arrogant/tall poppy syndrome description here. As in he's a bit maverick, gives it a go, not afraid to try but in a good way.

I like hearing Scots words and if anything noticed more people using them- which is great if natural - but it sounds fake when you've got the Glasgow uni/middle-class BBC Scotland type accents adding in a 'ye ken', 'aye/naw,' etc.

I didn't realise even when speaking 'English' that  a lot of Scottish people's sentence structure, words and syntax are really different from other English speaking nations - just like other countries, areas, etc are from ours. I almost never say ''haven't'' or ''have not'', I didn't even realise I did this til I spent some time outwith Scotland and don't think I've even got a strong accent - generic soft Dundee , but I'll say ''I've no yet,'' etc. There comes out as 'thur' ; 'send it to us', and often without thinking I think is ''ah hink'' and saying I is not the Angus/Dundee 'Eh' but more a mix of Weegie/Dundee 'Ah'll' and that's me basically speaking English. And many times I've mentioned Italy folk have thought I was meaning LA. 

Edited by weekevie04

10 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

It's a great word, although I always thought it was more an endearing adjective than seemingly arrogant/tall poppy syndrome description here. As in he's a bit maverick, gives it a go, not afraid to try but in a good way.

I like hearing Scots words and if anything noticed more people using them- which is great if natural - but it sounds fake when you've got the Glasgow uni/middle-class BBC Scotland type accents adding in a 'ye ken', 'aye/naw,' etc.

I didn't realise even when speaking 'English' that  a lot of Scottish people's sentence structure, words and syntax are really different from other English speaking nations - just like other countries, areas, etc are from ours. I almost never say ''haven't'' or ''have not'', I didn't even realise I did this til I spent some time outwith Scotland and don't think I've even got a strong accent - generic soft Dundee , but I'll say ''I've no yet,'' etc. There comes out as 'thur' ; 'send it to us', and often without thinking I think is ''ah hink'' and saying I is not the Angus/Dundee 'Eh' but more a mix of Weegie/Dundee 'Ah'll' and that's me basically speaking English. And many times I've mentioned Italy folk have thought I was meaning LA. 

Many varieties of 'English' would be mutually unintelligible if we didn't have a standard writing system.

1 hour ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

People that pronounce J as “jai” need to have a long, hard look at themselves.

Other than Paw Broon, does anyone still say “braw”?

This post has unintentionally turned into a wee bit of a go, although the second question is genuine. Just got the lockdown blues!

It's still used in Fife a lot. As in "Jaboysir that's a braw pair o galluses you've got oan."

3 hours ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

People that pronounce J as “jai” need to have a long, hard look at themselves.

Other than Paw Broon, does anyone still say “braw”?

This post has unintentionally turned into a wee bit of a go, although the second question is genuine. Just got the lockdown blues!

I say braw regularly each day. If someone passes me a brew I'd say braw, ta. 

17 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Derives from 'gallows'. The noun had developed into an adjective meaning 'born to hang' by the 15th century (the earliest OED quote for the adjective is c. 1425: "This gallowus man toke him by the skyrtis of his palle or mantyl". It evolved from there to mean someone 'uppity', and then, for some, to the more neutral 'over-confident'.

Thanks for this.  Palle or mantyl?

I remember, when I was a kid, being at a caravan site in Portsoy or somewhere near.  I was playing with another little boy and he asked me, ‘Where de ye bide, the noo like?’, meaning which caravan is yours.  At the time I had no idea what he meant but it has stuck in my mind.

I guess that would be a Fife accent?

29 minutes ago, Denny’s Yard said:

I remember, when I was a kid, being at a caravan site in Portsoy or somewhere near.  I was playing with another little boy and he asked me, ‘Where de ye bide, the noo like?’, meaning which caravan is yours.  At the time I had no idea what he meant but it has stuck in my mind.

I guess that would be a Fife accent?

Not sure it would be. Us Fifers would've probably said, "Whore d'ye stye the noo?"

At least they would in my part of Fife which is the east.  There's a difference between East Fifers and West Fifers.  Starting every sentence with Hessir (Hey Sir) isn't as common in the east.

Good thread. Words and accents are fascinating.

Just now, daviebee said:

Not sure it would be. Us Fifers would've probably said, "Whore d'ye stye the noo?"

At least they would in my part of Fife which is the east.  There's a difference between East Fifers and West Fifers.  Starting every sentence with Hessir (Hey Sir) isn't as common in the east.

Good thread. Words and accents are fascinating.

Agree, I'd say Denny's quote sounds more north Angus/Aberdeenshire than Fife.

Angus is different too. Even Carnoustie to Arbroath can have a big difference. Or even 4-5 miles north of Monifieth/Carnoustie, it's almost Aberdeenshire sounding at times.

Really interesting thread.