Well, well, well... - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Well, well, well...

2 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

Every time I see this thread bumped I hope to see mad mental Derek on another bevy fueled crusade but it looks like either the Corona virus has got him or he's all shagged out

Maybe he's one of the statistics? Found with a bottle of hand sanitiser and a face mask rammed up his hole.

So the worst day they had is 50 deaths per day but more like 10-30 per day when it was bad but with a few days less than 10.

Why don't you post the equivalent UK graph of deaths per day for the UK with roughly half the population of Japan.

It is 500-1000 per day. Half the population. 

I'd say Derek should still be crowing at this point.

42 minutes ago, thplinth said:

So the worst day they had is 50 deaths per day but more like 10-30 per day when it was bad but with a few days less than 10.

Why don't you post the equivalent UK graph of deaths per day for the UK with roughly half the population of Japan.

It is 500-1000 per day. Half the population. 

I'd say Derek should still be crowing at this point.

Think most people have a pretty decent idea of UK numbers, however,

image.png.d72a2fd1c0407e117d26838d691cff8c.png

Not that clear what they've been doing or not doing in Japan, most of the stuff that was available for the last few weeks seemed to be of the, 'it's only a matter of time before Japan gets it really bad cause they've not been following the rules' variety.

Edited by Eisegerwind

On 4/3/2020 at 6:15 PM, derekfaejapan said:

A good few years ago on this board, I started a thread suggesting that people in Scotland should do what we do in winter when bugs are being spread about...

Spray your hands with alcohol and wear face masks during flu season...

I had the cunt ripped outta me for suggesting that...(Several threads mocking it)...Was kinna funny though.

Now...You're all locked down. 95% of people here have been wearing masks since January...We aren't locked down.

Thoughts?

you were proved wrong back then, remember it very well.

Not many people here are wearing masks at all. I certainly havent and I've been out every day working. Still alive so far

5 minutes ago, Kirk said:

you were proved wrong back then, remember it very well.

Not many people here are wearing masks at all. I certainly havent and I've been out every day working. Still alive so far

Me as well (masks wise). But apparently 37,000 people have died of the 'rona in the UK, and 846 have died in Japan and they have twice the population of the UK.

Edited by Eisegerwind

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/japan-ends-its-covid-19-state-emergency

they did not trace any clusters to Japan’s notoriously packed commuter trains. Oshitani says riders are usually alone and not talking to other passengers. And lately, they are all wearing masks. “An infected individual can infect others in such an environment, but it must be rare,” he says. He says Japan would have seen large outbreaks traced to trains if airborne transmission of the virus was possible.

Most clusters originated in gyms, pubs, live music venues, karaoke rooms, and similar establishments where people gather, eat and drink, chat, sing, and work out or dance, rubbing shoulders for relatively extended periods of time

1 hour ago, phart said:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/japan-ends-its-covid-19-state-emergency

they did not trace any clusters to Japan’s notoriously packed commuter trains. Oshitani says riders are usually alone and not talking to other passengers. And lately, they are all wearing masks. “An infected individual can infect others in such an environment, but it must be rare,” he says. He says Japan would have seen large outbreaks traced to trains if airborne transmission of the virus was possible.

Most clusters originated in gyms, pubs, live music venues, karaoke rooms, and similar establishments where people gather, eat and drink, chat, sing, and work out or dance, rubbing shoulders for relatively extended periods of time

I'm finding it pretty difficult to actually nail down what measures Japan has taken. Almost every article that comes up is in some way critical of their approach, it's almost as if they are being willed to fail. As far as I can gather they've done nothing other than tell people to reduce social contact, encourage the wearing of masks and maintain/improve hygene (something, I understand, as a nation they are already very good at). Certainly no lockdown or 2m social distancing. Yet they are still getting headlines like this,

Japan’s capricious response to coronavirus could dent its international reputation

It is difficult to know if the country has just been lucky or if it’s a matter of good policy.

People were out and about in Osaka, Japan, on Wednesday. Japan has seemed to contain the coronavirus without broad lockdowns or widespread testing.

UK death rate per million  558

Japan death rate per million 7

Edited by Eisegerwind

I don't think the Japanese need to be told to socially distance, I think it just comes naturally. It's like us not needing to be told, not to shit in the kitchen sink. I think a huge medium of transmission is handshaking and hugging. Both those practices should be stopped forever. Both daft social gestures in the first place. I've still to be convinced about faces masks though. The evidence I've read is about 50:50 on that. More studies required, IMO.

46 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think the Japanese need to be told to socially distance, I think it just comes naturally. It's like us not needing to be told, not to shit in the kitchen sink. I think a huge medium of transmission is handshaking and hugging. Both those practices should be stopped forever. Both daft social gestures in the first place. I've still to be convinced about faces masks though. The evidence I've read is about 50:50 on that. More studies required, IMO.

They don't look particularly socially distant in that pic above for example or what I've seen of trains and other social situations. I think you'll have a hard time getting our European neighbours to stop hugging, rather less of a daft social gesture and more of an expression of humanity I'd argue. Who knows about the masks, regardless shouldn't we be using some of the few remaining flights in and out of the country to send a fuckload of scientists over there to find out what they are doing?