Best Uncapped Scottish Players - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Uncapped Scottish Players

Stockholm 1980

I’m sure this might have been done before, but after contributing to another topic, I thought i’d raise this one.

My first and outright candidate would be Kevin McAllister  Falkirk - Chelsea - Hibs.  I can take if your playing for Falkirk your hardly going to get a look in, but in his time at Chelsea and Hibs he merited a cap, and I’d argue he was a much better player than Pat Nevin who was probably preferred to him.

Chip in with your selections.

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Joe Wark is a name always chucked in by 'well fans of the older generation 

What about Bobby Graham? Was he not the guy made the whole team tick at the time Pettigrew was scoring loads of goals?

I suppose there were just so many good players around at that time that the competition for places was so strong.

Pat McGinlay, even being Celtic’s top scorer for the season (from midfield) couldn’t get this guy a cap. A real box to box midfield who banged in over 60 goals for the Hibernians. Genuinely no idea why he was constantly overlooked 

My dad gave me a pull out from the Sunday Post a couple of weeks back on "No cap wonders".

In it are the aforementioned McGovern, Ritchie and Russell, plus:,

John Brown (Dundee/ Rangers)

Alex Harley (Third Lanark)

Jimmy Leadbetter (Ipswich)

Graeme Payne (Dundee Utd)

Gordon Smith (Rangers, Brighton etc) - apparently Ron Greenwood wanted to call him up for England!

Alex Ferguson (Dunfermline, Rangers etc)

Bobby Cox (Dundee)

Malcolm Finlayson (Wolves)

Ian Scanlon, great player for Aberdeen and St Mirren, came to Saints in a swap deal with Peter Weir going to Dons, both great players and very similar,  but Scanlon scored Treble the amount of goals for saints than Weir did in similar appearances. 

Including the best goal I ever saw at Love Street, 2-0 down to Celtic, came back to win 4-2 with Scanlon scoring the 4th with a sweet volley over 40 yards out ( not exaggerating), totally gutted there is no footage of that goal in existence.

9 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Does that not mean he wasn't good enough?

Not really - he was good enough to play international football but there were players that were better.

Sadly, we have too many players at the moment who aren't good enough to play international football but are the best - or least worst - options available.

I doubt you will find any players who were the best in their position at that particular point who weren't capped.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

Not really - he was good enough to play international football but there were players that were better.

Sadly, we have too many players at the moment who aren't good enough to play international football but are the best - or least worst - options available.

I doubt you will find any players who were the best in their position at that particular point who weren't capped.

We shall agree to disagree.

Im good enough to play for Tuvalu, so thats international standard.

9 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Ray Houghton.

Heads should have been rolling down Park Circus to Charing Cross for that one.

That's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight but I don't recall any clamour to call him up when he was playing for a struggling Oxford United team.

Which player would you have left out of the 86 World Cup squad to accommodate him?