Best Scottish player to never leave Scotland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Scottish player to never leave Scotland

SkyBlueScot

The BBC were re-running the story about Ruud Gullit describing Davie Cooper as one of the best players he'd seen and that he wasn't well known as he never played for a team outside Scotland.

So, who'd be the best player that played their entire career in Scotland?

I immediately thought of McStay but the further back you go, the more common it was.

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Got the defence can you put the rest of the team together?

Good shout. I'll stick to players from 1980 onwards:-

Billy Thomson 

Danny McGrain

Sandy Jardine 

Willie Miller 

Alex McLeish 

Paul McStay 

Scott Brown 

Andy Ritchie

Davie Cooper 

Frank McDougall

Paul Sturrock

Googled M

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Billy Thomson 

Danny McGrain

Sandy Jardine 

Willie Miller 

Alex McLeish 

Paul McStay 

Scott Brown 

Andy Ritchie

Davie Cooper 

Frank McDougall

Paul Sturrock

Googled MCDougall to find out about his career.  104 goals in 207 but no caps. Also became the most expensive domestic transfer when St Mirren paid £150,000 to Clydebank for him.

Not an obvious pick.

2017 onwards would make a nice game.

44 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Googled MCDougall to find out about his career.  104 goals in 207 but no caps. Also became the most expensive domestic transfer when St Mirren paid £150,000 to Clydebank for him.

Not an obvious pick.

Phenomenal goalscorer but a back injury ended his playing days early.  May have been partial to a shandy or two also.

Had a bit of trouble with a striker, many great goalscorers with long careers in Scotland seemed to have had short spells down south (eg. McCoist, Robertson, Dodds, Coyne, McGarvey).

Edited by Toepoke

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's hard to think of anyone other than Brown from this century who'd threaten the team.

Maybe Tierney if this had been done a year ago?

Forrest maybe the only contender as an attacker, but I certainly wouldn't pick him ahead of Cooper or Sturrock.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Googled M

Not an obvious pick.

probably greatest penalty box finisher in a Dons jersey in my lifetime ; am sure many would argue Joey should get that honour though

dont think his game would of been suited to international game though

pretty sure his last game (or one of his last) was cup final 86 v Hertz ; where although he didnt score his selfless dummy inside the box allowed for an easier finish (cant recall who - i know that hewitt & stark also scored)

was at Servette game , where we had one half chance whole game ; Frank scored with a glancing header

21 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

It's hard to think of anyone other than Brown from this century who'd threaten the team.

Maybe Tierney if this had been done a year ago?

Forrest maybe the only contender as an attacker, but I certainly wouldn't pick him ahead of Cooper or Sturrock.

None of the current crop would be near it  but find somebody old enough though and nobody from your over 80's bar the ones around in the 70's as well would make it, maybe. Although Cooper is a bit special.

Current never played outside Scotland players would struggle against a Morton team with Andy Ritchie (another uncapped player}

38 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

None of the current crop would be near it  but find somebody old enough though and nobody from your over 80's bar the ones around in the 70's as well would make it, maybe.

It's a shame the drop off in quality that we see domestically. But I would imagine if the disparity in wages between the Scottish and English leagues was as wide when all of the guys in my team were playing, coupled with the Bosnan rule, virtually all of them would've headed south at some point.

15 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Billy Thomson 

Danny McGrain

Sandy Jardine 

Willie Miller 

Alex McLeish 

Paul McStay 

Scott Brown 

Andy Ritchie

Davie Cooper 

Frank McDougall

Paul Sturrock

Not a bad team !

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Phenomenal goalscorer but a back injury ended his playing days early.  May have been partial to a shandy or two also.

Had a bit of trouble with a striker, many great goalscorers with long careers in Scotland seemed to have had short spells down south (eg. McCoist, Robertson, Dodds, Coyne, McGarvey).

i recall the stories of guys walking back to city centre from pittodrie , and frank beating them to the bar

for a guy not so tall his heading accuracy was amazing ; the 5-1 game v rangers stands out

14 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

i recall the stories of guys walking back to city centre from pittodrie , and frank beating them to the bar

for a guy not so tall his heading accuracy was amazing ; the 5-1 game v rangers stands out

Does he still have his pub in Aberdeen?

I seem to remember a story about him being charged for being drunk in charge of his own pub.