Euro 96 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

ITV 4 are showing the whole tournament as if it was live this May

What a time to be alive that summer was ...up until the England game anyway

Best Of | Famous Nike Football Poster Ads - Footy Headlines

Magnum Photos

Villa Park at the World Cup - Birmingham Live

Soccer Scotland Holland Euro 96 Stock Photos & Soccer Scotland ...

Scottish Football Fans Stock Photos & Scottish Football Fans Stock ...

32 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Is it not every game online and England's games and the final on ITV 4?

pernickety

yes sadly

https://www.itv.com/football/articles/footballs-coming-home-as-itv-hub-unearths-euro-96

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

ITV 4 are showing the whole tournament as if it was live this May

What a time to be alive that summer was ...up until the England game anyway

Best Of | Famous Nike Football Poster Ads - Footy Headlines

Magnum Photos

Villa Park at the World Cup - Birmingham Live

Soccer Scotland Holland Euro 96 Stock Photos & Soccer Scotland ...

Scottish Football Fans Stock Photos & Scottish Football Fans Stock ...

unfortunately had to be in pubs with 'baddiel/skinner' song on repeat as living in london

flew back to Abz to watch the england game in the pub with the lads / as i did for the play off at hampden some years later

watched the 0-0 v holland on my own in station bar in basingstoke -nipped out work early ; the switzerland game where we won 1-0 had absolutely zero coverage of it , as eng v holland on tv/radio - had to phone home to get updates

i ve never watched the 2-0 england game since , aside from the obvious highlights..... but am still of the opinion we got our arses handed to us that day - ive read a lot about how we would of gone on to win it if pen gone in etc, as dominating game etc - the 99 version was closer to the truth ; again though Daillys header had the desired 'if ma aunt had baws' mythology weaved in

2 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

i ve never watched the 2-0 england game since , aside from the obvious highlights..... but am still of the opinion we got our arses handed to us that day - ive read a lot about how we would of gone on to win it if pen gone in etc, as dominating game etc - the 99 version was closer to the truth ; again though Daillys header had the desired 'if ma aunt had baws' mythology weaved in

Aye - we were never really in it for over 75 minutes

England dominated and it was another of those scenarios where if you have so much of the game and it's only 1-0 the other team are still in it

Saying that England had indeed just about punched themselves out and it would have been awfy deflating if McCoist had taken the penalty and it went 1-1

Knowing the history of Scottish football we would still have probably found a way to let them get the win 

It was great times though

Fabulous summer weather and the boozers in Hamilton were packed watching England v Switzerland on the opening Saturday 

Was made even more exciting knowing i had briefs for all three Scotland games and was travelling down and back 3 times in the next week and a half

The following Friday was something special though

We went into Glasgow on the afternoon and there was a real buzz about the place - still glorious hot weather and an excitement about the England game the next day

Started off in the Copthorne and ended up at the Bon Accord before getting Ian Sharp's Euroscot bus from Anderston at midnight

Was pished when i got on the bus - fell asleep and woke up possibly at Watford gap - where i was rewarded with a litre bottle of vodka and coke from the two big hibbies in the back seat

We spent the rest of the day with them at Trafalgar Square and only got split up on the tube going to the game - mainly because my pal Davie got lifted at Baker Street tube station when the train doors opened - the Police were doing spot searches and took his beers.

My Lambrusco survived and i put it next to a wall when i jumped off the train to plead his case 

A tramp ran away with it

Next train was full of England fans but there was no bother 

The Switzerland game a few days later was a damp squib in more ways than one

Ian Sharp's bus driver was a cunt and he had clearly had enough of Euro 96

He said that if anyone was not on board after the final whistle - regardless of the result - they were getting left

We applauded the team's efforts and as we got back to the bus park he had kept his promise

Hanging around Villa park was a bit ropey but we managed to make it into New Street Station with about £20 between us

Managed to sneak onto the football special and made it up to Glasgow for free

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

England dominated and it was another of those scenarios where if you have so much of the game and it's only 1-0 the other team are still in it

Saying that England had indeed just about punched themselves out and it would have been awfy deflating if McCoist had taken the penalty and it went 1-1

Knowing the history of Scottish football we would still have probably found a way to let them get the win 

Fabulous summer weather and the boozers in Hamilton were packed watching England v Switzerland on the opening Saturday 

Was made even more exciting knowing i had briefs for all three Scotland games and was travelling down and back 3 times in the next week and a half

We went into Glasgow on the afternoon and there was a real buzz about the place - still glorious hot weather and an excitement about the England game the next day

Started off in the Copthorne and ended up at the Bon Accord before getting Ian Sharp's Euroscot bus from Anderston at midnight

Was pished when i got on the bus - fell asleep and woke up possibly at Watford gap - where i was rewarded with a litre bottle of vodka and coke from the two big hibbies in the back seat

We spent the rest of the day with them at Trafalgar Square and only got split up on the tube going to the game - mainly because my pal Davie got lifted at Baker Street tube station when the train doors opened - the Police were doing spot searches and took his beers.

My Lambrusco survived and i put it next to a wall when i jumped off the train to plead his case 

A tramp ran away with it

He said that if anyone was not on board after the final whistle - regardless of the result - they were getting left

We applauded the team's efforts and as we got back to the bus park he had kept his promise

Hanging around Villa park was a bit ropey but we managed to make it into New Street Station with about £20 between us

nice one ;  a real fans tale from days gone by ; the weather was scorching that summer

for some reason i'd never really considered going to any of the games tbh ; and to date ive still never been to a game at wembley

i remember watching the eng v germany game at home in the flat , good entertainment, good game

14 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

A tramp ran away with it

Big Bill Henry?

3 hours ago, daviebee said:

Big Bill Henry?

Cant remember but he certainly didnt have the build to be referred to as Big

There was a big heavy fella that kinda assisted with Euroscot and went to Euro 92 - is that who you are meaning ?

‘we got our arses handed to us that day’

fairly standard downtrodden Scottish perspective right there!

It was an even game that could have went either way. England dominated first 10 mins or so of the second half (when they opened the scoring), but we had our spells too, remember David Seaman pulling off a world class save from a Gordon Durie header. Can’t remember Andy Goram having much to do during the game.

To suggest we were somehow outclassed our outplayed that day is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Daz1982 said:

‘we got our arses handed to us that day’

fairly standard downtrodden Scottish perspective right there!

It was an even game that could have went either way. England dominated first 10 mins or so of the second half (when they opened the scoring), but we had our spells too, remember David Seaman pulling off a world class save from a Gordon Durie header. Can’t remember Andy Goram having much to do during the game.

To suggest we were somehow outclassed our outplayed that day is ridiculous.

final score again , mate ?

agreed ; but my point was only relevant in entire context of original post - we do like to play the 'what if' scenario out quite often , and somehow claimed we wiz robbed , or game closer than reality - eg if only Dailly had,nt headed straight at Seaman '99

to suggest Gorams only action was to pick the ball out of the net twice is likely far fetched

going back to previous euros, we had loads of possession and shot around box v holland and germany at euro 92 , but difference in quality /finishing was telling - we got it together for the lesser ranked CIS in last game , effectively a friendly by then

we are happy to take the wins (1-0) v France (Caldwell) and Holland (McFadden) where in reality both games could of easily been 3-0 defeats ; without appreciating the balance of play

There is a 20 minute video highlights of the game on Dailymotion - only 4 minutes are given to the first half which is how i remember it

We were blown away for 20 minutes of the second half and it could easily have been 3-0

We did come into it a bit without looking all that dangerous - indirect free kick in the box and Durie's header which was never going in IMO that Seaman got with his hand

Spencer starting for McCoist was another Scotland "out the box" tactical blunder

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4gwtj1

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Cant remember but he certainly didnt have the build to be referred to as Big

There was a big heavy fella that kinda assisted with Euroscot and went to Euro 92 - is that who you are meaning ?

Aye that was Big Bill the Bigoted Busman! Listening to him after a game was always educational... every Rangers player played great and the ones that were on the bench or sometimes not even in the squad should've been playing... every Celtic player played sh*te, etc. and when one did have a semi-reasonable game, they only did so cos a Rangers player was ordering them about on the park!  The only exception one time was John Collins who had "no' a bad game fir a dago!"  He really had to be experienced to be believed!  :lol: 

Cannae remember that other driver but then I'd no reason to.  Surprised that Sherpie would've left anybody in London though.  Not like him.

15 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

There is a 20 minute video highlights of the game on Dailymotion - only 4 minutes are given to the first half which is how i remember it

We were blown away for 20 minutes of the second half and it could easily have been 3-0

We did come into it a bit without looking all that dangerous - indirect free kick in the box and Durie's header which was never going in IMO that Seaman got with his hand

Spencer starting for McCoist was another Scotland "out the box" tactical blunder

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4gwtj1

thanks for that - even tho d we scored that pen , and momentum had swung in our favour ; whos to say it wouldnt of wound down to 1-1 at best ..... we were hardly prolific back then ; 1 goal in whole tournament.......

14 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Aye that was Big Bill the Bigoted Busman! Listening to him after a game was always educational... every Rangers player played great and the ones that were on the bench or sometimes not even in the squad should've been playing... every Celtic player played sh*te, etc. and when one did have a semi-reasonable game, they only did so cos a Rangers player was ordering them about on the park!  The only exception one time was John Collins who had "no' a bad game fir a dago!"  He really had to be experienced to be believed!  :lol: 

Cannae remember that other driver but then I'd no reason to.  Surprised that Sherpie would've left anybody in London though.  Not like him.

During the 2 day bus tour of Europe to get to Sweden he got the name of Oliver Hardy troosers .

It was Birmingham and by that point i dont think Ian had any say in it - the bus driver was a Nazi

On 3/27/2020 at 10:48 PM, Ally Bongo said:

A tramp ran away with it

Why do people call tickets “briefs”? Never understood that.

17 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

thanks for that - even tho d we scored that pen , and momentum had swung in our favour ; whos to say it wouldnt of wound down to 1-1 at best ..... we were hardly prolific back then ; 1 goal in whole tournament.......

2 clean sheets out of 3 games.

Only conceded 2 goals the whole tournament.

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to watching the Holland and Swiss games, no real highlights of those two on Youtube. See how many chances were missed at 1-0 in the last game.

England game was good performance from memory. Everyone remembers the missed penalty but Seaman made an amazing save from Durie header at 1-0 aswell.

Was proably as good as the 99 Wembley performance, just didn't get the breaks in typical Scotland tournament fashion.