The Great Football Reset 2020 ? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Great Football Reset 2020 ?

been loosely aware of this for a few years now ; mostly listening to off the ball , as my exposure to Scottish club scene not that great these days

but been a bit of chat about how long things can continue ; escalating wages (out of control) in EPL it sounds / compared to tv revenue - diminishing gate receipts etc

just got a mass email from Aberdeen / Dave Cormack re 5 million likely shortfall ; unlikely to be much support for filling up the coffers to help pay wages for guys under contract getting stupid money when lot of folks personal/domestic situations are in dire straights

although i dont think we'll ever go back to the days of the players being close to punters wages wise ; be nice to come out of this with a different approach

Question. Are all footballers going to be paid their wages during this pandemic? Surely if teams were struggling financially before the Corona outbreak the players will be I  danger of no getting their wages.. I guess it also depends on how long this will last..

Would it be covered by the government scheme?

Obviously the majority of players wil earn a good bit more than the £37k cut off, but it would help.

Aberdeen had 4/5 home games left and the majority of the tickets will be season tickets that are paid for. Where’s the £5 million deficit? Is this projected for next season?

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Would it be covered by the government scheme?

Obviously the majority of players wil earn a good bit more than the £37k cut off, but it would help.

Aberdeen had 4/5 home games left and the majority of the tickets will be season tickets that are paid for. Where’s the £5 million deficit? Is this projected for next season?

It wasn’t an exact science of a number. They estimated at £1,00,000+ from Scottish cup, refunds for tickets, no corporate, selling other tickets for the games, sponsorship, early season ticket sales etc etc. 

Some huns have went into absolute meltdown, thinking administration is coming, but dont realise if Aberdeen are set to lose out on 5,000,000 for loss of attendance and prize money, then Rangers will be set to lose at least 5 x that amount. Twitter has made some incredible reading since this was announced 🤣

10 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

It wasn’t an exact science of a number. They estimated at £1,00,000+ from Scottish cup, refunds for tickets, no corporate, selling other tickets for the games, sponsorship, early season ticket sales etc etc. 

Some huns have went into absolute meltdown, thinking administration is coming, but dont realise if Aberdeen are set to lose out on 5,000,000 for loss of attendance and prize money, then Rangers will be set to lose at least 5 x that amount. Twitter has made some incredible reading since this was announced 🤣

Never even thought of that. Huns were fuckin skint even before this happened. Interesting to see how all of this unfolds.. 

19 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Never even thought of that. Huns were fuckin skint even before this happened. Interesting to see how all of this unfolds.. 

European payments for this year will keep us ticking over. Good fortune that Celtic went out when they did- in order that we get the vast majority of the media (or what ever UEFA calls it these days) pot for Scotland.

36 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

A lot will be down to seson tickets. The more paid up season tickets you have, the safer you are (until fans start to ask for their cash back- which I think is (hopefully) unlikley).

56 minutes ago, Mox said:

There will be plenty of clubs all over the world that will be in trouble. Barcelona are reportedly looking at asking players to take a 70 percent pay cut, so no one will be exempt.

Read bayern of the munchen were doing 20% pay cuts ; wow....

is some insurance in these cases not voided by ‘act of god ‘

Scotty min ; that was nt a segway :)

6 hours ago, Debian said:

Rangers, Celtic, Hibs, Dundee, Motherwell & Hamilton are the 6.

Hamilton don't seem too confident.

(Are you sure that the other team wasn't Stranraer?)

4 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Or what if the wording isn't specific enough?

17 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Some may, but most would be able to now rely on the fact that it is a government order to stop playing (thus a 'business interuption'). Further some policies will have specific epidemic and pandemic wording- I've seen policies (not sports related) that actually referrence Corona Virus - since it is a known catagory of virus, and has been for some time.

1 hour ago, Stu101 said:

Some may, but most would be able to now rely on the fact that it is a government order to stop playing (thus a 'business interuption'). Further some policies will have specific epidemic and pandemic wording- I've seen policies (not sports related) that actually referrence Corona Virus - since it is a known catagory of virus, and has been for some time.

thanks for clarification ; i was just taking some stuff id seen written elsewhere ; that wasnt football club relatedd

26 minutes ago, jailender said:

Aberdeen have announced that their insurance will not be paid out after 30th April.

funny i was just reading that in EE

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/donsnews/aberdeen-chairman-dave-cormack-hits-out-after-clubs-insurers-remove-pandemic-cover-during-covid-19-crisis/

33 minutes ago, jailender said:

When this is over, the number of senior clubs in Scotland (and elsewhere) will be much reduced.

Theoretically anybody below Premiership level shouldn’t be paying anybody much more than £37k per year. While there’s a lot of uncertainty, if the government job retention scheme is as straight forward as it sounds (big IF) clubs should be covered to pay their employees.

I know Dundee United’s owner (? American guy??) basically admitted they had gone all-in on getting promoted this year, so they will need to go back to the well (no apostrophe!) but otherwise clubs have a fair chunk of the 19/20 season money already in the bank, and can cut costs until football starts again.

Edited by sbcmfc