Any mechanics/car savvy people? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any mechanics/car savvy people?

I got a new car back in September but obviously can't drive it now for the foreseeable. I've read that it's not good to leave a car idle for more than 2 or 3 weeks. Is that correct for a modern (petrol) engine? If it's not going anywhere for 3 months, should I at least be running it idle for a period of time every so often? Any other tips to keep it functional?

Cheers!

5 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

are you not self isolated if you stay inside your car ? 

unless its a new thing to do with electronics or catalytic converter, I've never heard that about lying  idle 3 weeks - alternatively get someone else to drive it 

The strict advice I'm under is not to go as far as the street in case I accidentally come close to someone, but it's quiet enough around here, so I could. I don't want to drive away in case of accident, breakdown, etc. To be honest, if I know it'll start fine come June/July, I'm not worried too much.

My Plan B is to get my daughter to take it for a spin, but it's a Motability car, so although she's on the insurance, there are very tight restrictions about what she can & can't use it for. Easiest is definitely just to leave it where it is but I don't want to run into a bucket load of trouble with it further down the line.

Cheers anwyay :)

Your battery might go flat but other than that it should be OK. Park it in a position where it's easy to get close to with another car, in case you need to jump start it. Also, the handbrake could seize on so, if it was me, I would block the wheels with bricks or something and leave the handbrake off. 

Mr Tidy is an auto electrician. A flat battery is the only likely problem so just let  the engine run occasionally. 

I would however suggest that this exactly the type of situation where your daughter should be allowed to use it. You have been instructed to self isolate therefore cant go to the shops, surely she should be able to use your car to go get you shopping. 

If it's not going to be used for some time get someone to take it for a run round the block every couple of weeks

Any good mechanic will tell you this