Scotland's best performances - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's best performances

romanticscot

4 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Lets get into some healthy discussion about Scotland's best team and individual performance's of the last 10 years.  

This may help - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team_2000–19_results

I’d be more tempted to get into some healthy discussion about why the word ‘performances’ doesn’t need an apostrophe. However.......

Spain at home

Germany away and at home

Poland away
Republic of Ireland at home.

England at home

I suppose that the high point in terms of performance was the Poland away match - although if I remember rightly, one of our defenders should have been sent off for a horror tackle early on, which would surely have totally changed that match. Following that, and all the way through to defeat in Georgia, that was probably the only time in the past decade when I thought ‘we’ve actually got an alright team here.’

1 hour ago, dohadeer said:

I’d be more tempted to get into some healthy discussion about why the word ‘performances’ doesn’t need an apostrophe. However.......

Spain at home

Germany away and at home

Poland away
Republic of Ireland at home.

England at home

I suppose that the high point in terms of performance was the Poland away match - although if I remember rightly, one of our defenders should have been sent off for a horror tackle early on, which would surely have totally changed that match. Following that, and all the way through to defeat in Georgia, that was probably the only time in the past decade when I thought ‘we’ve actually got an alright team here.’

Poland battered us at times in that away game, despite scoring 2 good goals we were very lucky to escape with a point. 

47 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

What is difficult to understand? The question was Scotland's best performances or you just being a bell end as usual?

The original poster was looking for a discussion of Scotland performances in the past 10 years weren’t they?

54 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The six counties away in the Celtic Cup back in 2011.

Beat them 3-0. McArthur accidentally scored from an over-hit cross. Dominated the game and should really have scored more.

What’s the ‘six counties’?

Northern Ireland? 

Is that some name for it based on which half of the Old Firm you support?

The best performance I have witnessed (I have stated this on the TAMB previously  over the years)

Scotland v Spain (3-1) world cup qualifier November 1984 - quite simply outstanding and we probably would have beaten any team in the world that night- even Jim Bett played a blinder :lol:

29 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

The best performance I have witnessed (I have stated this on the TAMB previously  over the years)

Scotland v Spain (3-1) world cup qualifier November 1984 - quite simply outstanding and we probably would have beaten any team in the world that night- even Jim Bett played a blinder :lol:

The thread is asking for performances from the last 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 8:24 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

2 - 0 v Croatia at Hampden was relatively comfortable if I remember correctly, although a dead rubber game 

This one came to mind for me as well, as well as the away game when we beat them 1-0. They were dead rubbers for us but were they not meaningful games for Croatia?

Otherwise beating Eire 1-0 at Parkhead.

The games against Spain and Germany were credible but still defeats. Poland and Eire both took loads of points off Germany in that group. The draw against England was a poor performance rescued by Griffiths free-kicks, and we still threw it away with seconds left.

7 minutes ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

Although it was hardly world class opposition, and taking into account the poor performance against them at Hampden, the 3-0 win in Lithuania in a must win match, is not far off as good as it’s been. Ireland 1-0 England 2-2 were ok results.

Lithuania equalised in that game from a dodgy dive by Mikoliunas

5 hours ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

Although it was hardly world class opposition, and taking into account the poor performance against them at Hampden, the 3-0 win in Lithuania in a must win match, is not far off as good as it’s been. Ireland 1-0 England 2-2 were ok results.

Best all round away performance I can recall in my opinion

7 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Lithuania equalised in that game from a dodgy dive by Mikoliunas

You're thinking of the game where we beat them 3-1.  The poor performance mentioned above was the game where James McArthur equalised late on and we were absolutely fkin rank.

8 minutes ago, daviebee said:

You're thinking of the game where we beat them 3-1.  The poor performance mentioned above was the game where James McArthur equalised late on and we were absolutely fkin rank.

You’re right, completely mis red that post.

Anything to forget that Hampden draw, the only time I’ve left early and missed a goal 

12 minutes ago, The_Bruce said:

4 - 0 away to Albania?
Not exactly giants of international fitba but not complete minnows either, in fact must've been a similar ranking to us so to beat them 4 - 0 on their own patch in a competitive match is worth a shout.

did they not have a gut sent off ; early doors....