Diego Maradona - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

10 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Fair dos ; unfortunately am still living in the past , never got into the messi/inestia tiki taka thing , liked zidane tho so am not sure where i tired of the modern game

Suppose a lot depends on your age as well and who’s top of their game when you’re most into football. Two others I forgot, who I loved at a certain time - Hagi and Stoichkov.

15 hours ago, kumnio said:

For me, Id go with Messi as the best with Zidane, Ronaldo, Kaka & Cristiano Ronaldo filling out my top 5.

Wouldnt be far off mine, although Maradona for Kaka. Kaka was fantastic, but his 4 year Real Madrid stint was pretty underwhelming. I get this was proably due to him being injured for long stints. Seemed to take a lot out him.

Batistuta would be close for me too. Loved watching him.

4 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Batistuta would be close for me too. Loved watching him.

Batistuta is my favourite player, I loved watching Fiorentina with him and Rui Costa. But I don’t think he near the best players sadly. 

9 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Platini was one of the best for me in terms of footballing ability. 

outstanding in that euro 84 championship - pre zoe ball jump on the bandwagon fake 'footy' fans

portugal semi way better than final v spain i recall

no british (isles) representation but was still on tv

56 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

outstanding in that euro 84 championship - pre zoe ball jump on the bandwagon fake 'footy' fans

portugal semi way better than final v spain i recall

no british (isles) representation but was still on tv

I don't think they showed any of the group stages on TV here.

Was just highlights of the semis and the final was live IIRC.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

going from memory ; i bought the parents old radio rental for my bedroom, and recall watching group games including romania ; as sure first time i'd seen that all yellow kit - semi was live too - only from memory tho and fair few years back

20 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

going from memory ; i bought the parents old radio rental for my bedroom, and recall watching group games including romania ; as sure first time i'd seen that all yellow kit - semi was live too - only from memory tho and fair few years back

Had me doubting myself.  And there was a group game live,  but only one...

"With no home nation representation in France, both the BBC and ITV decided to snub the tournament. Just two matches were shown live – the West Germany v Spain group match and the final"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/that-1980s-sports-blog/2016/jun/10/france-euro-1984-tv-bbc-itv-platini

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Had me doubting myself.  And there was a group game live,  but only one...

"With no home nation representation in France, both the BBC and ITV decided to snub the tournament. Just two matches were shown live – the West Germany v Spain group match and the final"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/that-1980s-sports-blog/2016/jun/10/france-euro-1984-tv-bbc-itv-platini

thanks for that ; so i was watching highlights only then..... doh

Team of the tournament from Euro 84. 

Harald Schumacher
Germany
João Pinto
Portugal
Karlheinz Förster
Germany
Morten Olsen
Denmark
Andreas Brehme
Germany
Chalana
Portugal
Alain Giresse
France
Jean Tigana
France
Frank Arnesen
Denmark
Michel Platini
France
Rudi Völler
Germany

Last updated: 11/04/16 14.51CET

RELATED INFORMATION

P
Edited by EddardStark

35 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Team of the tournament from Euro 84. 

Harald Schumacher
Germany
João Pinto
Portugal
Karlheinz Förster
Germany
Morten Olsen
Denmark
Andreas Brehme
Germany
Chalana
Portugal
Alain Giresse
France
Jean Tigana
France
Frank Arnesen
Denmark
Michel Platini
France
Rudi Völler
Germany

Last updated: 11/04/16 14.51CET

RELATED INFORMATION

P

Belgians ?

17 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Interesting. We were talking about this yesterday when discussing our first football memory on tv. 

I asked some of my older pals if all games from tournaments were on tv, from possibly 74/78 onwards and none of them could remember. 

One was certain all games from 78 were on, another wasn't so sure and thought it may only have been the home nations games. 

19 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Interesting. We were talking about this yesterday when discussing our first football memory on tv. 

I asked some of my older pals if all games from tournaments were on tv, from possibly 74/78 onwards and none of them could remember. 

One was certain all games from 78 were on, another wasn't so sure and thought it may only have been the home nations games. 

74 & 78 definitely had most if not all the games live on TV.

Euro84 was the tournament UK TV forgot.

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

74 & 78 definitely had most if not all the games live on TV.

Euro84 was the tournament UK TV forgot.

From my memory, I would have been convinced that the France v Portugal game was on live. It sticks in my head as one of the best semi finals ever. But maybe it was just highlights.

26 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

From my memory, I would have been convinced that the France v Portugal game was on live. It sticks in my head as one of the best semi finals ever. But maybe it was just highlights.

It was deffo highlights.  Late on a Saturday night.

An absolute classic game. Peak Motty commentary too...

Edit:- Historical TV listings confirm it. Val Doonican and Dynasty were given priority over this match...

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1984-06-23

Edited by Toepoke

4 hours ago, dandydunn said:

if i may inject some bitterness here ; Porto v Dons (ECWC semi) away leg - 2nd half live (may have joined transmission with 5mins or so left in 1st half) 1984

rangirs away to inter milan - early round of uefa - think was 3-0 to inter ; entire game live - similar vintage

celtic - notts forest  - ditto ;

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 3:39 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Fair dos ; unfortunately am still living in the past , never got into the messi/inestia tiki taka thing , liked zidane tho so am not sure where i tired of the modern game

Maybe tiki taka or whatever it's called? when the invention and individual brilliance and creativity was taken away and passing the opposition to death took over? fitba is nowhere near as exciting as it used to be and IMO it's because of that. It's pish to watch and we have shot ourselves in the foot by allowing ourselves to be dragged into it. A team or nation should always play to it's own strengths, not other's. 

Edited by Bzzzz

On 3/29/2020 at 12:47 PM, Toepoke said:

It was deffo highlights.  Late on a Saturday night.

An absolute classic game. Peak Motty commentary too...

Edit:- Historical TV listings confirm it. Val Doonican and Dynasty were given priority over this match...

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1984-06-23

I remember that game, never liked Platini but what a player. 

On 4/9/2020 at 9:00 AM, Bzzzz said:

Maybe tiki taka or whatever it's called? when the invention and individual brilliance and creativity was taken away and passing the opposition to death took over? fitba is nowhere near as exciting as it used to be and IMO it's because of that. It's pish to watch and we have shot ourselves in the foot by allowing ourselves to be dragged into it. A team or nation should always play to it's own strengths, not other's. 

Tiki Taka at its best was a joy to watch, Xavi Iniesta and Messi 2009 - 2012 
Spain as well around that. 

Unfortunately during that time it made other teams defend so deep they could suck the life out of games.

On 4/10/2020 at 9:48 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

Tiki Taka at its best was a joy to watch, Xavi Iniesta and Messi 2009 - 2012 
Spain as well around that. 

Unfortunately during that time it made other teams defend so deep they could suck the life out of games.

Aye, it was a joy to watch initially but IMO it's ruined the game as everyone irrespective of ability has tried to play the same way. Mind when we were difficult to beat at Hampden, we'd fight for a game, now we sit back and try and pass it to death, we no longer play to our strengths. Sounds a ridiculous thing to say but there is too much passing in the game these days. Sideways sideways sideways for the fkin sake of it.