Diego Maradona - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Did anyone watch the documentary film on C4 last night? Three hour watch but captivating stuff. What a talent but what a disaster in terms of his life choices. So much pressure on to carry the expectations of family, city and country on his back.

Read and watched loads about him down the years, great footballer but a horrible human being unfortunately. Nothing is ever his fault, the drugs the whoring the cheating he always turns the tables and makes himself the victim. Missed 5 penalties in a row for Boca costing them a championship, then blamed it on a witch. 

Could never take to him

A dislikeable cunt that could play football and was just as dislikeable playing it for all his ability

Edited by Ally Bongo

1 hour ago, shaggycoo said:

Tbf I did actually enjoy that film. 

think secret is not to focus too much on the choreographed football action scenes ; usually ends up like disney dog dribbling through a whole team of statues  ; recall damned utd kept those scenes short and slo mo type - book was great too

ive never watched 'the manageress' cherie lunghi since it came out early 90s ? imagine would be very dated now

On 3/23/2020 at 12:42 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

Tremendous film 

On 3/23/2020 at 9:00 PM, Stu101 said:

Great film, possibly the best football film ever made.

6 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

what, better than Escape to Victory ?

1 hour ago, shaggycoo said:

Surely not better than A Shot at Glory?! 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

or The Damned United

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

or

Wscdvd.jpg

Emily Lloyd now :(

Image result for emily lloyd

Image result for emily lloyd

You can have all them,  I give you Gregory's Girl..........

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Shame that Ken Hutchison disappeared off the radar

Great actor.  I'm sure someone on here, might have been Charlie Endell, claimed to have recognised him in a London boozer a few years back and had pint with him.

As for Maradona,  finished watching it tonight.  Not as good as Senna, but a well made film all the same. Thought it could have covered more of his early career and less about his Italian decline though.  Oh and 1980s goalkeepers were terrible!

On 3/23/2020 at 7:12 AM, EddardStark said:

Maradona the player took an unbelievable amount of punishment on the pitch. He always seem to take it and just get on with it. In later years it looks like he can barely walk. (not because of the drugs)

aye - some of those tackles in Serie A. one of the many things that stood out for me was during his Napoli days, when his cocaine intake and partying may have been at a peak (certainly in terms of when he was an athlete), he was still training like a beast. some of those work-outs and circuits he was doing - wow. 

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

1. Maradona

Huuuuuuge gap

2. you can argue about Messi, Cruyff, Ronaldo (x2), Zidane, van Basten, etc

I don't think there is as big a gap but i think him and Messi are the best ever by some distance. 

14 minutes ago, Mox said:

I don't think there is as big a gap but i think him and Messi are the best ever by some distance. 

Yeah, I’m a big Messi fan (not a big, messy fan). He’s as electric and magical to watch on the pitch. But Maradona dragged Argentina to the World Cup and a non-top-five Napoli to the Scudetto.