Home School - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Up mark for the thread . 
Are you a male primary school teacher ? Is there a prejudice from female colleagues still against males in primary teaching? 
I reckon the 144 sums in four minute test would revolutionise Scottish primary maths 

7 hours ago, Shaundy said:

Up mark for the thread . 
Are you a male primary school teacher ? Is there a prejudice from female colleagues still against males in primary teaching? 
I reckon the 144 sums in four minute test would revolutionise Scottish primary maths 

Just speaking for myself here, as someone who retrained post-50, I'd say that I faced significant prejudice but a lot more to do with my age than my gender, and particular from school leaders. Getting a job was a nightmare, as was keeping one. And they always seemed to think that (if I was lucky enough to have one) the best thing to do was to allocate a TA of similar age, meaning that I was always getting a kicking because our classroom displays weren't up to scratch, in no small part because neither of us could hop up & down the stepladders!

My son is a primary teacher as well...he gets a degree of flak from his mates but he's not mentioned any real hassle at school.

Might as well chip in. Been a primary school teacher for 10 years so if anyone wants any help....fuck off and find it yourself or go and ask killiefaetheferry.

Only kidding. I have heaps of resources so happy to help as well in anyway.

What stage do you teach Killie? I've covered most but was upper stages for last 6/7 years. Took up a new job this year doing an Early years class....nursery and p1 together! Very different but really like it.

In terms of preducise...not really. Schools, other staff and parents always seem to really like there being a male teacher about and it's all been pretty positive in that regard. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 8:57 AM, iainmac1 said:

Might as well chip in. Been a primary school teacher for 10 years so if anyone wants any help....fuck off and find it yourself or go and ask killiefaetheferry.

Only kidding. I have heaps of resources so happy to help as well in anyway.

What stage do you teach Killie? I've covered most but was upper stages for last 6/7 years. Took up a new job this year doing an Early years class....nursery and p1 together! Very different but really like it.

In terms of preducise...not really. Schools, other staff and parents always seem to really like there being a male teacher about and it's all been pretty positive in that regard. 

Nb: It’s prejudice, Mr Teacher  🤣🤣