What is your line of work? - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What is your line of work?

17 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

I'm a primary school teacher in Highland. We've not heard a thing about teaching children of key workers or what is happening about that.

As far as we know we are now off for the indefinite future and are sending home activities via seesaw.

:blink:

Sounds like a fairly random way to distribute stuff.

Treasury bank manager, specifically foreign exchange. First time in 30 years of doing this job that I have worked from home. Never thought it would be possible with all the technology that is required. At work we are in a secure room, no-one can get in without a pass, yet here I am buying and selling currency from my living room 🙄

I really think this virus will change the way people work going forward.

In my particular job WFH would never have been considered till now. But the infrastructure is now there so there could be situations where it would be allowed. 

Its driving me mad though, WFH is not as attractive as it may sound. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Treasury bank manager, specifically foreign exchange. First time in 30 years of doing this job that I have worked from home. Never thought it would be possible with all the technology that is required. At work we are in a secure room, no-one can get in without a pass, yet here I am buying and selling currency from my living room 🙄

In my particular job WFH would never have been considered till now. But the infrastructure is now there so there could be situations where it would be allowed. 

We closed our Cape Town office in 2015,  so for 3 years I worked from home in CApe Town, with odd trips to Angola/Kenya - tended to have habit to work through until 6/7pm but also allowed me to work from home elsewhere such as Aberdeen, Namibia, Mauritius when i chose to .- 

CASS/Client Money Manager for an Investment Bank. Usually work from home 1 day a week but now FT.  

Usually get more done WFH but now that us and our 3rd party are both st home finding it's bit as seamless and things aren't as controlled.  This week has been a riot and Monday I've my both direct reports off so utterly buzzing for it and looking after my daughter all day. 

18 hours ago, davierobbsagod said:

retired, ex fire service, scutter about now ,should have been at the houston rodeo this weekend   but currently working my way through a box of malbec and various bags of crisps and why are people suddenly panic buying flour ?

Where were you stationed?

5 minutes ago, Debian said:

CASS/Client Money Manager for an Investment Bank. Usually work from home 1 day a week but now FT.  

Usually get more done WFH but now that us and our 3rd party are both st home finding it's bit as seamless and things aren't as controlled.  This week has been a riot and Monday I've my both direct reports off so utterly buzzing for it and looking after my daughter all day. 

Right, so I've got a big and a wee pension (not tax case) with my ex-employer. Will be 55 in 2 years. Want to access the 25% tax free lump sum. Big pension is final salary. Wee pension is 5 grand. Thinking about dipping my toe in with the wee one to see how it all works. Pension Bee? In return for any advice I can help to save your sanity with teaching advice 😂

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I said that to a few people at work yesterday. This may well change lots of things going forward including how and where we work.

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Right, so I've got a big and a wee pension (not tax case) with my ex-employer. Will be 55 in 2 years. Want to access the 25% tax free lump sum. Big pension is final salary. Wee pension is 5 grand. Thinking about dipping my toe in with the wee one to see how it all works. Pension Bee? In return for any advice I can help to save your sanity with teaching advice 😂

If both your Pension are Defined Contributions rather than defined benefits - they will be down 25-30% 

I would imagine you do not want to take your 25% out until market recovers (which i believe could be very quick)

If it is a defined benefits and you start pension at 55 - they are going to reduce payout rather than wait until say 60-65

Not sure you can get access to that 25% ? Cumulative seems to need to be less than 30K across all pensions"

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/defined-benefit-schemes

Taking your pension as a lump sum

You might be able to take your whole pension as a cash lump sum.

If you do this, up to 25% of the sum will be tax free, and you’ll have to pay Income Tax on the rest.

You can do this from age 55 (or earlier if you’re seriously ill) and if:

• The total value of all your pension savings is less than £30,000.
  • Your pension is worth less than £10,000, regardless of how much your other pension savings are. You can do this for up to three different pensions.

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Wish I could reciprocate ^?^

I know you probably feel that your indoctrination is too deep to recover from, but hang in there.

It's not easy to 'unlearn'.

Be as open minded as you can, and the chances of you breaking through "truths protective layers" will increase exponentially. :ok:

5 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Forget it. In 6 months time your pension will be worth fuk all and you will have to work until you are 75. This advice comes free of charge.:ok:

11 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

I know you probably feel that your indoctrination is too deep to recover from, but hang in there.

It's not easy to 'unlearn'.

Be as open minded as you can, and the chances of you breaking through "truths protective layers" will increase exponentially. :ok:

My mind is open to all possibilities.  I support Kilmarnock and Scotland after all.

I am also totally comfortable with my understanding of the universe and our place in it.

Thanks for your consideration though. :)