What is your line of work? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What is your line of work?

Now that we are all getting along, for now, 😉, what do you do for work. I know I'm a nosey bassa, but I have seem some very intelligent, interesting, posts and threads. Dont know what yees all look like, but would be interesting to see what your career is. I have been with the City Of Ottawa Water Division for 33 years. I have done it all. Valves, hydrants, chlorination, pipe installation, and water quality testing. Most recently I transferred to the heavy equipment dept. I love it. I operate heavy machinery now till I retire in 3 years. 55 years old is the magic number to retire. So, what do you all do for a living? 🙂

20200313_163536.jpg

Do office work for a private healthcare company, just found out today that we're clearing the beds to work along NHS so now classed as a key worker which give us access to avoiding to the supermarkets at set times and avoid the lunatics and their panic buying, but more importantly gives me the option to keep my son in school, which is very welcome after him being in tears this morning at it being closed down.

Office worker for a large financial sector firm and like Terry, we've been told we are classed as key workers as we oversee annuity payments, death claims etc and people are desperate to surrender polices just now.

Luckily I can work from home but will still need to be in the office a lot as I can walk in to city centre from home.

Missus isn't so lucky as she works in travel and had to take unpaid leave and fears for her job.

On scale of things we are still extremely lucky and my thoughts and prayers are with those less fortunate. it's going to be a tough few months and everyone needs to back each other and support those less fortunate whenever possible.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

Walk the dog every morning and do a bit of housework. Afternoon watch the racing or play golf, weather permitting.

Through in a couple of TA trips away and  some time in Spain to ease the boredom.

Great getting retired early and I have no regrets about misselling a few Endowment policies.

Head of Resource Planning for a UK wide Tour Operator.  It's as dull as it sounds.  Travel industry is on it's arse and the example Squirrel gives of his missus is typical of the  industry in general.  We've been given a 20% reduction in hours/pay and I know of others in the industry who have either been given 50% cuts, 3 months unpaid or in some cases laid off.  I've worked in travel for 25 years and been through Gulf wars, 9/11, Ash clouds, SARS, Tsunami''s and just about every other world event however I've never experienced anything like this.  I'd be astonished if the company I works for still has even close to the same number of people in each site when we get through the other end of this.

25 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Head of Resource Planning for a UK wide Tour Operator.  It's as dull as it sounds.  Travel industry is on it's arse and the example Squirrel gives of his missus is typical of the  industry in general.  We've been given a 20% reduction in hours/pay and I know of others in the industry who have either been given 50% cuts, 3 months unpaid or in some cases laid off.  I've worked in travel for 25 years and been through Gulf wars, 9/11, Ash clouds, SARS, Tsunami''s and just about every other world event however I've never experienced anything like this.  I'd be astonished if the company I works for still has even close to the same number of people in each site when we get through the other end of this.

Aye, she's had to take 10 days unpaid so far  but it'll end up a lot more than that.

I worked in the third sector most of my life. I ended up a senior manager having worked in & managed homelessness services, work with offenders, pretty much any group of ‘socially excluded’ people in my time. Probably the same type of organisations that Lairdyfaeinverclyde works for.

I was made redundant as part of the impact of austerity (the organisation near enough halved in size over a couple of years) & used my redundancy money to retrain as a primary teacher. Altogether spent 3 or so years training/working as a teacher before health problems took over & I’m  now retired. 

Nowadays I do various voluntary stuff around health, run a local support group, etc. 

Apologies for the essay! I’m bored stuck in here 😂😂😂

45 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Key worker as a Primary Teacher. In Monday as usual to care for kids that need to be in school for various reasons.

I'm a primary school teacher in Highland. We've not heard a thing about teaching children of key workers or what is happening about that.

As far as we know we are now off for the indefinite future and are sending home activities via seesaw.

3 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Now that we are all getting along, for now, 😉, what do you do for work. I know I'm a nosey bassa, but I have seem some very intelligent, interesting, posts and threads. Dont know what yees all look like, but would be interesting to see what your career is. I have been with the City Of Ottawa Water Division for 33 years. I have done it all. Valves, hydrants, chlorination, pipe installation, and water quality testing. Most recently I transferred to the heavy equipment dept. I love it. I operate heavy machinery now till I retire in 3 years. 55 years old is the magic number to retire. So, what do you all do for a living? 🙂

20200313_163536.jpg

Is that a Dinky Toy truck you're hanging on to ?

😊

1 hour ago, iainmac1 said:

I'm a primary school teacher in Highland. We've not heard a thing about teaching children of key workers or what is happening about that.

As far as we know we are now off for the indefinite future and are sending home activities via seesaw.

Who is looking after key workers' kids?

Edited by killiefaetheferry

1 minute ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Self employed or employee?

Employee, but on a 0 hour contract, so feck knows what is happening.

My gaffer (Who I trust) is trying to find out from head office, what the score is, but reckons it will be Monday at the earliest, before he knows anything.