Positivity - Page 14 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Being able to work from home has seen a slowdown in the pace I was living at and loads extra time to spend with the wee lass.  

One of the main benefits is it has allowed me the time to learn something new everyday.  

Just take today as an example - up to an hour ago didn't know Rolf Harris could play bagpipes. 

On ‘A House in the Country ‘ today I found out how to  ‘paper marble’ . It was quite interesting. More interesting than the programme . 

7 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Well seeing as I have put a bit of "fat bastard" back on, I am having a salad tonight. Nothing special..🙂

Och, and here was me hoping you might have browned your meat 😁

I think i might start a ‘cooking in isolation’  thread, do you think it would be popular ? 

Edited by TDYER63

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Och, and here was me hoping you might have browned your meat 😁

I think it might start a ‘cooking in isolation’  thread, do you think it would be popular ? 

Absolutely,  just dinnae let me.post any of my masterpieces..🤣🤣🤣

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

On ‘A House in the Country ‘ today I found out how to  ‘paper marble’ . It was quite interesting. More interesting than the programme . 

I found out going to need a bigger shed.  My mrs and five year old daughter had a ding dong over the outfit they were buying for her Sumdog character (get coins every task you complete).   'Mum - this girl is young.  Those shoes are for old people like you!'  

3 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I found out going to need a bigger shed.  My mrs and five year old daughter had a ding dong over the outfit they were buying for her Sumdog character (get coins every task you complete).   'Mum - this girl is young.  Those shoes are for old people like you!'  

😂😂 I have absolutely  no idea what Sumdog is but  I have a feeling the character is sporting a rather nifty set of old lady shoes. 

On 5/3/2020 at 12:51 AM, slasher said:

Read, review and share plz. 

Whit else ye gonna do on lockdown? At least if you think it's pish you can vent at the author on here. Bring it! 😀

IMG-20200429-WA0002.jpg

Just thought I would post a wee update. It's sold about 300 copies in a week. I've no idea if that's good or not but I'm well chuffed. I've mostly been marketing on Facebook as I think my generation have kinda taken over that. Beyond this I'm struggling a bit. Any ideas are welcome. I should add that this really is not a money making exercise (£2.49 a book) , it's about getting a dying story out there. 

Ps thanks for all the support guys, I really appreciate it ❤️

Edited by slasher

10 hours ago, slasher said:

Just thought I would post a wee update. It's sold about 300 copies in a week. I've no idea if that's good or not but I'm well chuffed. I've mostly been marketing on Facebook as I think my generation have kinda taken over that. Beyond this I'm struggling a bit. Any ideas are welcome. I should add that this really is not a money making exercise (£2.49 a book) , it's about getting a dying story out there. 

Ps thanks for all the support guys, I really appreciate it ❤️

I've got a copy downloaded - just trying to finish a couple of other books I've got on the go then I'll make a start on it, but it definitely looks up my street.

I have a mate (mate of my lad's strictly speaking) who wrote a book (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Are-They-Now-Huddersfield/dp/1912027607)   - I think it's a paper version only & obviously a bit of a limited audience, but he was pretty relentless marketing it on all sorts of social media platforms. I'm not really much of a salesperson to be honest, but I guess key is fathoming out who might want to read it & where you'd find them.

Is there any sort of trade union, ex-workers group or maybe Facebook page for people who worked there?

8 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I've got a copy downloaded - just trying to finish a couple of other books I've got on the go then I'll make a start on it, but it definitely looks up my street.

I have a mate (mate of my lad's strictly speaking) who wrote a book (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Are-They-Now-Huddersfield/dp/1912027607)   - I think it's a paper version only & obviously a bit of a limited audience, but he was pretty relentless marketing it on all sorts of social media platforms. I'm not really much of a salesperson to be honest, but I guess key is fathoming out who might want to read it & where you'd find them.

Is there any sort of trade union, ex-workers group or maybe Facebook page for people who worked there?

Thanks m8. I'll definitely have a look. That's my problem, I'm not a great seller, in fact I hate doing it 😔

I will be buying it too Slasher, once I work out how to buy it on a kindle 🙂

I will also forward It to whatsap group chats as work colleagues etc come from out that way.

Great news on the sales 👍

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I will be buying it too Slasher, once I work out how to buy it on a kindle 🙂

I will also forward It to whatsap group chats as work colleagues etc come from out that way.

Great news on the sales 👍

The sales were great, but this was so much better 

Screenshot_20200509_221658_com.facebook.orca.jpg

For our mathematicians and home schoolers

EXrjSOLWAAI2Qd4?format=jpg&name=small

How can you add an R number that's a rate, or ratio close to 1.0, and a number of infections that must be in the tens of thousands, and get a meaningful result?

What are the units of COVID Alert Level?

10 hours ago, exile said:

How can you add an R number that's a rate, or ratio close to 1.0, and a number of infections that must be in the tens of thousands, and get a meaningful result?

Considering his "Alert Level" scale only goes up to 5, I think we could be staying off the scale for a long time yet.

Arithmetically speaking there is no reason why he can't add those two numbers together. I'm assuming they are in the same units. But it just means that, as far as he is concerned, the rate of infection (R) is relatively insignificant compared to the actual number of infections. Which might in fact give us some indication about how his mind is working?;)

I would have thought that some "scientific" advisor would have approved his "equation" before it being announced to the public. Which a scary thought.

11 hours ago, exile said:

That's wild as fuck.

OK using the best guess from a quick google we have, using world of meters for infections and a BBC article for R0, will use average between estimate.

COVID Alert Level= R(0.83)+ 219,183= 219,183.83

So the alert level is 219,183.83.

Is this actually real or a pisstake?

Edited by phart

48 minutes ago, phart said:

That's wild as fuck.

OK using the best guess from a quick google we have, using world of meters for infections and a BBC article for R0, will use average between estimate.

Aye, it could take a long time before we get down to "Alert Level 5" which is the highest level on his alert level scale. It's just mental that they can come out with shit like this. It's on a par with the injecting bleach idea.

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Considering his "Alert Level" scale only goes up to 5, I think we could be staying off the scale for a long time yet.

Arithmetically speaking there is no reason why he can't add those two numbers together. I'm assuming they are in the same units. But it just means that, as far as he is concerned, the rate of infection (R) is relatively insignificant compared to the actual number of infections. Which might in fact give us some indication about how his mind is working?;)

I would have thought that some "scientific" advisor would have approved his "equation" before it being announced to the public. Which a scary thought.

I agree it's possible they can be added - especially if they are the same units - but even if not, you could have a "fruit level" obtained by adding number of apples plus number of pears, even if those numbers are different units, and it could be meaningful? But is this? Need to find out the detail.

It looks as if it's trying to look scientific, while also trying to look simple, but not really achieving either.

I'd guess there is real logic underneath it, but the way' it's presented makes it look simplistic.

8 hours ago, phart said:

That's wild as fuck.

It is actually real

The Spectator has a defence of it here, comparing it to complex numbers...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-number-10-should-illustrate-its-covid-alert-formula

1 hour ago, exile said:

It is actually real

The Spectator has a defence of it here, comparing it to complex numbers...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-number-10-should-illustrate-its-covid-alert-formula

a lot of nonsense since neither R0 or number of infections are imginary numbers, a complex number is just a real number combined with an imaginary number.

It's sophistry.

1 hour ago, phart said:

a lot of nonsense since neither R0 or number of infections are imginary numbers, a complex number is just a real number combined with an imaginary number.

It's sophistry.

Yes that particular article is 'imagining' something that wasn't there - trying hard to cover up for the lack of explanation in the original broadcast.

Edited by exile

On 5/10/2020 at 12:00 PM, TDYER63 said:

Thats brilliant. Feedback like that from someone who worked there shows you have captured it perfectly. 

Jim.  You should go on to New College Lanarkshire on FB.  I worked at the college for 23 years in Motherwell.  I would put your book up on there, sure you would get a few sales.

On 5/10/2020 at 12:00 PM, TDYER63 said:

Thats brilliant. Feedback like that from someone who worked there shows you have captured it perfectly. 

The feedback has been really encouraging so far and I'm pleasantly surprised to see its sold a few in Oz and the States. 

11 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Jim.  You should go on to New College Lanarkshire on FB.  I worked at the college for 23 years in Motherwell.  I would put your book up on there, sure you would get a few sales.

Thanks RH. I'll have a look at that in a few days. I'm taking a bit of a break from it just now as I think I was becoming a bit obsessive over it.