Positivity - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

6 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

Just joined an 8 o’clock clap . You had to be there . 

A lot of patronising shite, no doubt plenty of clappers who's vote at the ballot box goes to parties that don't give a shit about the NHS.

For a minute I wondered what the noise was. I live on the city ring road so it’s relatively densely populated. 
aye you are right . But by the time I got to the door and realised / remembered this was what it was , I joined in. For half a minute. Then back in to return to hyper world 🤪

can’t disagree with the sentiment.  Cunts promoting it is something else. We all give a shit is our deceit 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

32 years married today. Quite impressive in this day and age even though I say so myself.

Mr Tidy has vertigo. After 32 years you need to experiment  a  bit. A headache  becomes a bit predictable. 

Congratulations - enjoy the day. My dad always used to say that being married was like having one foot in the grave & the other on a banana skin (but then he was married to my mum).

32 years is a good effort though. Well done 🥂

Eventually after a week of trying we were able to get a refund on our cancelled holiday to Australia but my god it was a struggle. Emirates were great to deal with, holiday insurance cancelled no problem. We also had an internal flight booked from Gold Coast to Sydney, bit of a battle for refund eventually sorted. Booking.com/Ibis hotel, well fuck me what a fucking joke. The fuckers cancelled our booking and kept the cash over $1000 Oz dollars. .  Some of the questions we were asked you wouldn't believe. You would think they had no clue what was going on in the world. I eventually had to quote their updated policies and procedures regarding coronavirus to get satisfaction. 

44 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

My Dad’s works shut down now, ideal since my mum would be defined as moderate risk. 

That's good mate and a relief. Of my close family  (none living with me, older kids, brother and in laws) 5 are key workers. My only worry now is them. 

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

Right I've been biting my tongue. 

I posted the video in the positivity thread as an expression of how good I feel knowing that God ultimately has everything under control.

Do we praise God for bringing us the virus (creator of all)? 

Perhaps God only allowed the virus. (Didn't cause it, but didn't stop it.)

Either way, Christians are asked to 'embrace the trial'.

When we do, God takes us through the furnace and refines us like gold.

And when we come out of the trial, we're stronger and we're closer to God.

I'm going to regret this ain't I 😬

No, I don't think it was that bad. :wink2:

13 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Congratulations - enjoy the day. My dad always used to say that being married was like having one foot in the grave & the other on a banana skin (but then he was married to my mum).

32 years is a good effort though. Well done 🥂

Thanks Huddersfield. Thats us survived another one ! 

Hope you are bearing up there. Is Mrs H still away ? 

Also, you being a chess player and all that, what would you suggest for a novice? I remember playing chess for a short time as a child but I cannot really remember much as about it. Is there a ‘chess for dumbos’ you could recommend, ie that explains everything in simplistic terms. I am becoming bored of Cluedo and Operation 🙂 

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Thanks Huddersfield. Thats us survived another one ! 

Hope you are bearing up there. Is Mrs H still away ? 

Also, you being a chess player and all that, what would you suggest for a novice? I remember playing chess for a short time as a child but I cannot really remember much as about it. Is there a ‘chess for dumbos’ you could recommend, ie that explains everything in simplistic terms. I am becoming bored of Cluedo and Operation 🙂 

Yes, she's still away. We're anticipating 12/13 weeks all told. It's already the longest we've been apart in all our years! I'm having to organise my own beer supply. Tough times.

Re. the chess; there are hundreds of online tutorials & websites & it tends to boil down to how you prefer to learn; books, videos, whatever. Possibly a good starting point is a website called Chessity. It has tutorials & exercises on it from absolute beginner up to advanced tactics. I pay for a subscription to it, so I can't tell straight up how much of it you get with the free membership, but it's probably worth a look &, if you find it useful, getting a subscription.

Websites like chess.com & loads of other ones have tutorials to get going. If you prefer books, Chess & Bridge (chess.co.uk) are pretty much the biggest retailer & will have dozens of primers.

It's like a sitting down version of golf though...clearly designed to be perpetually there to remind you of your failings! But good luck all the same :)

6 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Yes, she's still away. We're anticipating 12/13 weeks all told. It's already the longest we've been apart in all our years! I'm having to organise my own beer supply. Tough times.

Re. the chess; there are hundreds of online tutorials & websites & it tends to boil down to how you prefer to learn; books, videos, whatever. Possibly a good starting point is a website called Chessity. It has tutorials & exercises on it from absolute beginner up to advanced tactics. I pay for a subscription to it, so I can't tell straight up how much of it you get with the free membership, but it's probably worth a look &, if you find it useful, getting a subscription.

Websites like chess.com & loads of other ones have tutorials to get going. If you prefer books, Chess & Bridge (chess.co.uk) are pretty much the biggest retailer & will have dozens of primers.

It's like a sitting down version of golf though...clearly designed to be perpetually there to remind you of your failings! But good luck all the same :)

Its really tough that you need to be apart for so long. But it will probably make you both appreciate each other all the more when she returns . Just make sure the hoose is tidy for her coming back ! 
And until then at least you still have the beer.

My uncle is in his mid 70’s and was at the shop today for some milk, rolls and 2 bottles beer. He said it was more exhausting cleaning everything he bought  from the shop with dettol wipes than the journey to the shops. Even his bank card and co-op card had to be wiped. 

Thanks for the info on the chess. I will definitely take a look at Chessity and also the book website. I am a bit old fashioned and like a book. 

18 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Its really tough that you need to be apart for so long. But it will probably make you both appreciate each other all the more when she returns . Just make sure the hoose is tidy for her coming back ! 
And until then at least you still have the beer.

My uncle is in his mid 70’s and was at the shop today for some milk, rolls and 2 bottles beer. He said it was more exhausting cleaning everything he bought  from the shop with dettol wipes than the journey to the shops. Even his bank card and co-op card had to be wiped. 

Thanks for the info on the chess. I will definitely take a look at Chessity and also the book website. I am a bit old fashioned and like a book. 

Clean the house? I suppose I could do 😉

I can relate to your uncle. It’s driving me crackers having to wipe things down. Even letters. 

I just did a quick search for books anyway. I noticed you can still get a copy of ‘Teach Yourself Chess’ by Bill Hartston. It’s an old book, but a very good one so I’m not surprised it looks like it’s still in print, though you might get a cheap 2nd hand one on Amazon. If you don’t see any others you like, I’d go for that. 

Let me know how you get on & if there’s anything that doesn’t make sense!

19 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Clean the house? I suppose I could do 😉

I can relate to your uncle. It’s driving me crackers having to wipe things down. Even letters. 

I just did a quick search for books anyway. I noticed you can still get a copy of ‘Teach Yourself Chess’ by Bill Hartston. It’s an old book, but a very good one so I’m not surprised it looks like it’s still in print, though you might get a cheap 2nd hand one on Amazon. If you don’t see any others you like, I’d go for that. 

Let me know how you get on & if there’s anything that doesn’t make sense!

Thanks Huddersfield,  that is much appreciated. 

🤫 Exactly how long did you say you were in isoltion for ????

😊