Times you swore you'd never go again - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Times you swore you'd never go again

I was just inspired by the first match thread. How many times have you ever left a match (club or country) GENUINELY believing you were done & were never going again?

I can only remember one...an away match at Macclesfield in December 2003; stood in a freezing cold open end in a dilapidated ground watching us lose 4-0. I remember sitting in a Burger King on the way home seriously planning what else I could do with my Saturdays. In the end I didn't mean it, but at that moment I really, truly believed I was finished for good with football.

When the prices started getting ridiculous for Scotland games. Poland was my last one with my boy and haven’t been back since. Didn’t renew my membership and even let someone else use my membership for the England game, something I’ve always wanted to see. 

No regrets. 

Had a season ticket at Ibrox for around 25 years. Last game was the last game of our first season back in the top flight. Beat Hearts 2-1 and it was a good game and a cracking day out but that was an anomaly to the previous 5+ seasons where I jus my hadn’t enjoyed going and was only making about half a dozen games a season. If it hadn’t been for “relegation” I’d have jacked it in long before. I knew after that Hearts game I was done and haven’t been back since.  

AFC - 'Genuinely?' Probably several times spanning the last 25 years I guess - I've no discipline though 😂 (That said, I haven't been to a home game this season - 1st time in 50 years)

SFA - Didn't renew - Don't miss it at all (At the moment ;))

Scottish cup final 2016, watched the Hibernians home and away for 25 years and had now (finally) seen them win the Scottish Cup and the league cup a couple of times. They’re realistically never going to win the league so for me job done. Haven’t been at a game since and have no intentions of attending in the future, a random European away trip being the only exception that could tempt me. A great journey of highs and lows that’s taken me all over Scotland Europe and even the Caribbean, best to go out on a high 

15 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

After putting up with all the bell ends on the Dublin - Bratislava flight I said that was it. I went the following month to Wembley as we were booked up but I think I've only been to 2 home games since.

Just get better pals then fella! 😂

15 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

After putting up with all the bell ends on the Dublin - Bratislava flight I said that was it. I went the following month to Wembley as we were booked up but I think I've only been to 2 home games since.

Wembley was my last away game ( just fed up pissing money away on football) I'll continue to go to home games. 

Almost every game this season it has been horrendous for me. In fact our chairman said at Saturday's game that there is a good chance the national League will expunge this season's results which means we won't get relegated if that is correct I am calling it a day I can't go through this again.

22 hours ago, dan cake said:

Scottish cup final 2016, watched the Hibernians home and away for 25 years and had now (finally) seen them win the Scottish Cup and the league cup a couple of times. They’re realistically never going to win the league so for me job done. Haven’t been at a game since and have no intentions of attending in the future, a random European away trip being the only exception that could tempt me. A great journey of highs and lows that’s taken me all over Scotland Europe and even the Caribbean, best to go out on a high 

I honestly don't understand that but each to their own!

Scotland v Belarus 2005

Scotland losing 1-0 with about 20 mins to go, Centre back plays straightforward ball to Right back on sideline, under no pressure he miscontrols it for a Belarus throw in.

I stood up, said "enough" out loud and walked up the stairs saying to myself that was it, I was never going to another Scotland game.

And I never have been back

1 hour ago, Robbo `81 said:

Scotland v Belarus 2005

Scotland losing 1-0 with about 20 mins to go, Centre back plays straightforward ball to Right back on sideline, under no pressure he miscontrols it for a Belarus throw in.

I stood up, said "enough" out loud and walked up the stairs saying to myself that was it, I was never going to another Scotland game.

And I never have been back

that was a bad one ; they scored early on , we had to win to stay in contention but WS continued in with the lone striker role with the hope pinned on kenny misser - okay he scored a lot of decent goals , but he wasnt really that prolific for us (norway beat slovenia away i recall to put a dent in our slim hopes)

i just checked the archives , and turns out was my last home game at hampden too - more of circumstance tho as moved to Canada few months later - remember being in Puerto Pollensa when we played faroes & lithuania

since then ; ive only seen live games which were friendlies - v USA in jacksonville , & Mexico in the Aztec

keep telling the kids i ll  take them to a tournament....... altho we have a north american world cup on the horizon ?

On 3/14/2020 at 1:46 PM, vanderark14 said:

Too many times to count but livingston at home losing 6 nil was one match which sticks out. I had a season ticket that season.........i went back the next home game.😂😂😂

i recall 3 home games in a row i attended early 90s - think all 1-0 losses ; BK Copenhagen in europe , airdrie league cup , and st johnstone in league - going from memory -pretty sure alec smith was sacked on back of this tho

Never said enough is enough but I’ve stayed away for months at a time in the past when it was utter dross being served up by amateur level players . Was totally scunnered when Ross county beat us 2-1 in the 2016 League cup final , my next game after that was the play off defeat to Falkirk . Gave them one last chance the week after in the Scottish cup final and well that shut me up 

There were 5 travel club members at our address I was the last to go this year with not renewing CBA any more with the ridiculous nights we played on as for todders I regularly turn down free offers of corporate tickets... currently watching and travelling for more rugby games now and have absolutely no idea whats going on but I do have a drink in my hand ....