Your first ever match watching your team. - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your first ever match watching your team.

Clyde v Dundee Utd (1974) remember it well - Clyde had a player head a rocket shot off the line (Danny McGrain) and his career was just about finished after that, always remember my old man saying "he could have gone on to play for Scotland" he was and still is to this day Clyde's youngest ever captain.

I think he was a relative of Celtic's Danny McGrain ??

I looked into this quite recently and am fairly certain was dons v falkirk 72 old 1st div ; fergie and kennedy played for falkirk it turns out ( in reading an evening express article years later )2-2 result

i had missed out on going to us beating falkirk 8-0 week before ( league cup ) as i was sulking in back garden - same spot i recall being in for the peru game as a 12 yr old

also recall my dad taking me to a man city midweek friendly- think is denis laws only senior game at pittodrie

Edited by Auchinyell Sox Change

On 3/14/2020 at 9:03 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

Morton, 94 - 95 season in the second division, can’t remember who against though. 

Was that when Del played alongside Rajamaki and the other Viking lad? He got set upon For being a twat after game at Shielfield and I’ve had a huge dislike for the cunt since then. 

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

Was that when Del played alongside Rajamaki and the other Viking lad? He got set upon For being a twat after game at Shielfield and I’ve had a huge dislike for the cunt since then. 

Yeah, along with Derek Lilley and Alan Mahood. 
The next season was the last day game against Dundee United when half of inverclyde tried to get in to watch it. 

My Uncle Munro was from Chichester

Met my Dad's sister when he was in the Navy, moved to Hamilton and went to every Accies home game

I can vaguely remember as a 5 year oldish wearing an Accies tammy and being taken by him to old Douglas park a few times but i cant remember who they were playing. They werent big games but i recall Paul Hegarty playing 

My Dad used to go to every cup final and the first domestic game i remember was the 75 cup final Celtic v Airdrie and then the following year Rangers v Hearts

My Mum made me wear a bright green turtle neck jumper for the 75 cup final and i recall getting a macaroon from the boy that sold them and refused an Irish Tricolour

Hilarious

Most i remember about the 76 cup final was DJ scoring from kick off and looking behind me at the bottles up in the air flying from side to side up the Celtic end

Edited by Ally Bongo

Rangers Bayern Munich 72 Cup Winners Cup semi

The game was played during a series of power strikes/rationing, so it was an afternoon kickoff instead of at night.

My Mum insisted that my dad took me and my sister to the match, that way he could not go on a bender after the game and miss his night shift.

Due to the fact I was only 2, I don't remember any of it, and if it was not for my dad and various other members of my family, constantly bringing up the fact for the next 48 years, that I slept through most of the game, I doubt I would ever known I was there.

My older sister (Her first game as well) remembers it better, but even she say's I slept through most of it, and was more interested in going back to my granny's and playing with her dug.

November 74, lost 3-0 at home to East Fife, old man couldn’t believe I wanted to go back for the next home game. 

Could be wrong but it might have been Alex Ferguson’s first game in charge of St Mirren as well. 

15 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Yeah, along with Derek Lilley and Alan Mahood. 
The next season was the last day game against Dundee United when half of inverclyde tried to get in to watch it. 

I remember that well. Massive queues down Sinclair street, think a few regulars missed out that day unfortunately.

15 hours ago, loanhead-tartan said:

I got hit with a baseball cap a couple years ago . Boy mustn’t have had any money for a pie that night 

Early 80’s at Love St always used to stand next the segregation fence, playing Morton and got hit just above the eye with a small object, turned out it was the little Scotty Dog from monopoly.

Dirty Greenock f”ckers 😀

28 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Early 80’s at Love St always used to stand next the segregation fence, playing Morton and got hit just above the eye with a small object, turned out it was the little Scotty Dog from monopoly.

Dirty Greenock f”ckers 😀

Did you get £200 on your way out?

31 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Dirty Greenock f”ckers 😀

My mate, who is sadly no longer with us, was a Morton fan and I went along with him to the St.Mirren game in 98/99 season, Saints won 4-1 iirc and they had a huge travelling support with them. Whole Dublin end was full. Think they got promoted that season actually.

10 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Piecing things together from remembering a scoreline and a Jimmy Forrest brace...

Scottish League Cup - August 17th, 1968 - Aberdeen 4 Dundee United 1

Dons in blue kit back then , or red/blue/white stripes ....... altho united may still have been playing in white in those days

Can't be sure, but probably 1971 - '72 season, against some mob like Gillingham. I mainly remember being struck by the colour, and how fat most of the players were, after a black & white diet of the 'athletes' served up on MotD, FA cup finals and the Mexico WC. Mainly local lads like Steve Uzelac fueled by pies, beer and fags. The exception being Peter Kitchen, the English Steve Heighway; I'm not sure I've ever had a hero to match him since.