Income/Work - Coronavirus - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Income/Work - Coronavirus

5 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

Except not everybody’s circumstances are the same. Some clearly have greater cause for concern than others. You either can’t comprehend that or just don’t want to, hence your selfish dismissal of people’s very valid concerns. Grow up and show some compassion. 

Exactly.

Plenty self employed could see their business go under within weeks with no income. That's not a case of folk readjusting - that's a case of ending up with nothing.

To say we're all in the same boat is utter nonsense and so lacking empathy/understanding of folks circumstances it's beyond belief.

Folk on zero hour contracts aren't in the same boat as somebody employed with the council with a fixed term contract for example who is able to work from home.

Night and day.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Exactly.

Plenty self employed could see their business go under within weeks with no income. That's not a case of folk readjusting - that's a case of ending up with nothing.

To say we're all in the same boat is utter nonsense and so lacking empathy/understanding of folks circumstances it's beyond belief.

Folk on zero hour contracts aren't in the same boat as somebody employed with the council with a fixed term contract for example who is able to work from home.

Night and day.

Ok, there are lots of us in the same boat, I should have phrased it as.

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Just been sent this. Hopefully this’ll help anyone in this situation. 

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-01/0122/amend/coronavirus_daily_cwh_0320rev.14-18.html

I’m not sure what my stance on this is.

I’m someone who’s self-employed, and over the past few days several people - mostly self-employed themselves, or with close family members who are self-employed - have sent me links to a petition about self-employed pay. (A petition started by someone who doesn’t know the difference between the word ‘accept’ and the word ‘except’ by the way, which is a worrying indication of their intelligence levels. If you’re going to start a petition which you think is important enough to gain hundreds of thousands of signatures, at least take the care and time to check the spelling.)

I’m not sure where this demand for or belief of entitlement to close to normal pay comes from. This is an emergency situation. The government only has limited resources. The offer of support equivalent to Universal Credit, if that’s the correct term, seemed fair enough to me. If that’s enough to pay bills and buy food, that seems enough in these extreme times. I don’t expect the government to pay me 80% of my normal wage, to sit at home and do nothing. Some people have to live on Universal Credit for much of their lives.

Am I missing something here? I don’t really get this entitlement to a normal monthly wage in these emergency times. As long as we have enough to buy food, and pay bills, surely that’s all we need? Just to repeat, I say that as someone in exactly that boat, rather than someone looking in from the outside. It all looks a bit greedy to me, to be demanding any more than what is required to live on, in these emergency times.

6 hours ago, dohadeer said:

I’m not sure what my stance on this is.

I’m someone who’s self-employed, and over the past few days several people - mostly self-employed themselves, or with close family members who are self-employed - have sent me links to a petition about self-employed pay. (A petition started by someone who doesn’t know the difference between the word ‘accept’ and the word ‘except’ by the way, which is a worrying indication of their intelligence levels. If you’re going to start a petition which you think is important enough to gain hundreds of thousands of signatures, at least take the care and time to check the spelling.)

I’m not sure where this demand for or belief of entitlement to close to normal pay comes from. This is an emergency situation. The government only has limited resources. The offer of support equivalent to Universal Credit, if that’s the correct term, seemed fair enough to me. If that’s enough to pay bills and buy food, that seems enough in these extreme times. I don’t expect the government to pay me 80% of my normal wage, to sit at home and do nothing. Some people have to live on Universal Credit for much of their lives.

Am I missing something here? I don’t really get this entitlement to a normal monthly wage in these emergency times. As long as we have enough to buy food, and pay bills, surely that’s all we need? Just to repeat, I say that as someone in exactly that boat, rather than someone looking in from the outside. It all looks a bit greedy to me, to be demanding any more than what is required to live on, in these emergency times.

I see exactly what you’re saying. I do t want to sit at home either and be paid 80% of my wages for doing fuck all either, but these are unprecedented times and could go for months. We have no idea where the next wage is going to come from. We were all asked to go on 80% yesterday, whether we’re working or not, simply in the hope that there’s a job to go back to after this clears up. 

Good luck everyone, the world has just went fucking haywire. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hope everyone has managed to get themselves sorted with regards to payments.

I managed to get sorted for unviversal credit although i won't exactly know how much i will get until the 18th.

I can furlough myself and get 80% of the salary i pay myself monthly but i am not allowed to claim 80% on the dividends,which is where i get the majority of my money.So i will probably get about £470 per month, better than nothing.

I am not entitled to the £10k business grant as i don't pay business rates but i have read that there are people out there who are still working and picking up the grant as well.Boasting about what they are going to do with their extra money.

My business is struggling just now, we supply food to roll shops etc so basically my only customers still open are a few butchers (who are doing great) and one convenience store with deli attached. I've branched out and doing home deliveries which is bringing a small amount in but not much. I haven't taken a wage this month which is not ideal when we have a mortgage and a wedding to pay for. Waiting to hear from local council if we will get accepted for the £10k grant, if we do then that will take a lot of pressure off. Along with running the van etc I have a walk in fridge and freezer which cost around £700-800 in electricity every month, not even coming close to covering that just now. It is shite!!
The government should be covering small businesses and not making them jump through hoops to maybe get a bit of money to keep them going. 

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

My business is struggling just now, we supply food to roll shops etc so basically my only customers still open are a few butchers (who are doing great) and one convenience store with deli attached. I've branched out and doing home deliveries which is bringing a small amount in but not much. I haven't taken a wage this month which is not ideal when we have a mortgage and a wedding to pay for. Waiting to hear from local council if we will get accepted for the £10k grant, if we do then that will take a lot of pressure off. Along with running the van etc I have a walk in fridge and freezer which cost around £700-800 in electricity every month, not even coming close to covering that just now. It is shite!!
The government should be covering small businesses and not making them jump through hoops to maybe get a bit of money to keep them going. 

If you pay business rates you should qualify for it.Good that you can diversify as well.

Because i'm one man ltd company i fall into all the pits so to speak. 

I decided last night to register with readyscotland as a volunteer,just need to wait and see if needed for anything.Beats sitting about the house.

5 hours ago, Wullie Anderson said:

If you pay business rates you should qualify for it.Good that you can diversify as well.

Because i'm one man ltd company i fall into all the pits so to speak. 

I decided last night to register with readyscotland as a volunteer,just need to wait and see if needed for anything.Beats sitting about the house.

I don't pay rates as its a small unit but I have just checked the account and East Ren have paid it in today, so that really does save me ust now. Im the same though, my dad is the registered owner of the company but its me who runs everything and does the deliverys etc. He is just on the deeds as it was the easiest way to do it at the time. I would certainly look into it and apply via your local council anyway. If you wan't anymore info just fire me a message and I'll help if I can. 

1 hour ago, Wullie Anderson said:

That's great news about the grant,i don't have premises of any sort so very much doubt i would get it.

You won't. They are giving grants to those who pay rates because they will claw it all back when rates rocket over the next few years. They're paying employees 80% because they will claw it all back when income tax and NI contrabutions rocket over the next few years. Its more difficult to claw back money from the self employed but they'll come up with something.

All you'll get is your average 3 months profit from your past 3 years self assessments. So add your past 3 financial years profits divide it by 36 and multiply it by 3. You should get that amount paid to you some time in June. Hope that makes sense, it gave me a sore head writing it!!! 😲 

Edited by Och Aye

10 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

You won't. They are giving grants to those who pay rates because they will claw it all back when rates rocket over the next few years. They're paying employees 80% because they will claw it all back when income tax and NI contrabutions rocket over the next few years. Its more difficult to claw back money from the self employed but they'll come up with something.

All you'll get is your average 3 months profit from your past 3 years self assessments. So add your past 3 financial years profits divide it by 36 and multiply it by 3. You should get that amount paid to you some time in June. Hope that makes sense, it gave me a sore head writing it!!! 😲 

That's why i said i would get £470 per month in earlier post 😉 . I know i won't get a grant so i won't apply. That's life. As long as the sore head was with writing that and not anything else.👍

I'm not due the self-employed payment as I've only been self-employed since January. Seems strange I'm discriminated against for that reason. As it happens, I am still able to work to a certain extent. However, with a young child at home all day (and the wife not able to supervise all the time due to recovery from illness) I'm limited in what work I pick up. So I'm definitely losing out. Not as bad as some though.

28 minutes ago, Wullie Anderson said:

That's why i said i would get £470 per month in earlier post 😉 . I know i won't get a grant so i won't apply. That's life. As long as the sore head was with writing that and not anything else.👍

Sorry never seen your previous post. Funnily enough I'm close to that figure too. By the time I pay March bill to my suppliers and restock when I start back it should just about cover it (suppliers been great not even sent March invoices - they are still trading well tho thankfully). 

Not paying rates may turn out to be a blessing over the next few years. I fear for some businesses and I certainly won't be touching the government loan. 

Sore head may have been partly down to vodka 😄👍

Edited by Och Aye

23 minutes ago, duncan II said:

I'm not due the self-employed payment as I've only been self-employed since January. Seems strange I'm discriminated against for that reason. As it happens, I am still able to work to a certain extent. However, with a young child at home all day (and the wife not able to supervise all the time due to recovery from illness) I'm limited in what work I pick up. So I'm definitely losing out. Not as bad as some though.

That's rotten hopefully they'll look at that again. Take it you've done mortgage and car finance 3 month  break if applicable. 

16 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Sorry never seen your previous post. Funnily enough I'm close to that figure too. By the time I pay March bill to my suppliers and restock when I start back it should just about cover it (suppliers been great not even sent March invoices - they are still trading well tho thankfully). 

Not paying rates may turn out to be a blessing over the next few years. I fear for some businesses and I certainly won't be touching the government loan. 

Sore head may have been partly down to vodka 😄👍

That's great news with the suppliers. It is good that companies realise how much it affects everyone and not just themselves.I'm like you, definately not going down the loan route. Will just soldier on.Hope i can get some work as a volunteer with readyscotland so i'm at least doing a bit to help others who are in more need than me.

11 hours ago, Wullie Anderson said:

have read that there are people out there who are still working and picking up the grant as well.Boasting about what they are going to do with their extra money.

Can imagine the types mouthing off about this. It's getting paid through HMRC so good luck to them if they fancy their chances. They'll end up on the losing side. As Al Capone said - don't fuck with the tax people. 

7 hours ago, Wullie Anderson said:

That's great news about the grant,i don't have premises of any sort so very much doubt i would get it.

Ahh fair doos then. Yeah we only took over last year from my dad's pal who was terminally ill and its been a tough and expensive year anyway. Hopefully this is enough to see us through until everything grts back running. 

Fraud during these grant applications will be hammered. 

• Personnel Today

Navigation

Furlough: HMRC clarifies TUPE rules and warns against fraud

By Ashleigh Webber on 9 Apr 2020 in Furlough, Coronavirus, Latest News, TUPE
furlough-tupe-shutterstock_1697375344.jp
Shutterstock

Employees who were transferred to another organisation under TUPE after 28 February 2020 can receive 80% of their wages while furloughed under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, it has been signalled.

The government’s furlough claims portal will be launched on 20 April, HM Revenue & Customs has also revealed.

According to an email from the Treasury to David Johnston, MP for Wantage in Oxfordshire, which addressed the issue of TUPE, the new employer can submit a claim for 80% of wages for furloughed employees even if they were not on that organisation’s payroll on the 28 February cut-off date because they have since been TUPE’d. The email says that the staff are “eligible for the CJRS”.

Prior to this, there had been confusion around how TUPE affected employees’ eligibility under the scheme.

Barrister Daniel Barnett from Outer Temple Chambers highlighted the issue on his Employment Law Matters podcast. He said: “Who pays? Not the transferer because the transferer won’t have paid them any salary [beyond 28 February].

“Under the scheme as it stands, the new employer can’t claim either as the employees wouldn’t have been on their payroll as of the 28 Feb.

“It’s a loophole; something the government hadn’t considered originally and it’s an odd result.”

Barnett said the Treasury was expected to publish a further update to its Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme guidance to clarify the matter. The Treasury has been approached for comment.

Meanwhile, the government is likely to launch its furlough claims portal on 20 April, with the first wage payments made to employers likely to be made on 30 April. A guidance document is expected to be published by HMRC in the next week.

HMRC has said any fraudulent claims made under the scheme – for example, where employees have continued to work while furloughed – are likely to result in criminal convictions. Its chief executive Jim Harra, told the Treasury select committee yesterday (8 April) that he expected it to be targeted by fraudsters.

“We are going to be paying out a vast sum of money in a rapid period of time. Any scheme like this is a target for organised crime. Any scheme that pays out I’m afraid attracts criminals that want to defraud it and people that are genuinely entitled to it who inflate their claims,” he said.

He said HMRC had put in place a number of measures to minimise fraud, which included:

• the requirement for an employer to have already been authenticated by HMRC
  • a four- to six-day payment processing period to allow background checks
  • checks on employers after a payout has been made to verify a claim was real.

Harra reiterated that employees who had been furloughed must not carry out any work for their organisation, and urged those who had been asked to continue working while on furlough to report their employer.

He said: “We are aware that some employees have already been reporting that some employers have asked them to work during the furlough period. We expect the vast majority of employers to do the right thing and in fact in many cases they have no choice because people are genuinely furloughed and cannot work.

“But we will be asking anyone who’s got information about the scheme being abused to let us know and there is an online hotline service for any employee who feels they are being asked to be complicit in something they don’t want to be complicit in.

Edited by Och Aye