Income/Work - Coronavirus - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Income/Work - Coronavirus

Didn't want to muddle the Coronavirus thread as its more of a discussion of the illness. 

Advice for self employed and freelance workers on BBC is if you are unable to continue work or your source of income stops because of Coronavirus the only option is to claim universal credit which can take 6 weeks to process. £300 per month. Scary times. 

2 hours ago, phart said:

We need someone like this to corner the government

Absolutely brilliant that folk like that still exist rather than just careerist sell out arseholes.  Hopefully the cynic in me but one of my first thoughts after was worrying for her safety because that'll put a lot of noses out of joint.  

OK, so self employed in hospitality industry. All my functions cancelled. A shuddering halt and sadly have had to lay people off. Tried to contact Scottish Government advice line regarding claim for grant for sudden loss of income but they're obviously overwhelmed, cannot get through. Appreciate many are going to be in the same position. I'm assuming it just a case of applying for universal credit. Not been involved with claiming benefits before. Anyone involved or have experience with this process. Again appreciate its an unprecedented situation  on such a large scale so will be difficult for benefit system to cope. 

3 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

OK, so self employed in hospitality industry. All my functions cancelled. A shuddering halt and sadly have had to lay people off. Tried to contact Scottish Government advice line regarding claim for grant for sudden loss of income but they're obviously overwhelmed, cannot get through. Appreciate many are going to be in the same position. I'm assuming it just a case of applying for universal credit. Not been involved with claiming benefits before. Anyone involved or have experience with this process. Again appreciate its an unprecedented situation  on such a large scale so will be difficult for benefit system to cope. 

Heard on radio chancellor making an announcement during Boris's daily update thing later.

This is a time when we should be printing money as was done for the banks.

I think you'll just have to stay on line to get through, hopefully more info comes out later today for you guys.

4 hours ago, Och Aye said:

I am in the same boat as you,not in hospitality industry but been stood down until further notice by the company i do work for.Filled in the universal credit stuff online last night then called the number this morning to make an appointment.Got one for Cowdenbeath tomorrow at 12.35 but now i have just had a call telling me not to go in due to the coronavirus and appointment will be done over the phone on 1st April.

Never done this universal thing before so don't know what to expect.

I'm als self employed n brickin it, how am I suppose to cover rent if n when I'm not working, government have spoken to mortgage lenders to give people a 3 month break from making mortgage payments, well done ya Tory bastards what about rent payers 

1 minute ago, jcs said:

I'm als self employed n brickin it, how am I suppose to cover rent if n when I'm not working, government have spoken to mortgage lenders to give people a 3 month break from making mortgage payments, well done ya Tory bastards what about rent payers 

Would be a right bastard of a landlord that forced you to pay rent when he himself gets a mortgage holiday on the house you're living in!

12 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Would be a right bastard of a landlord that forced you to pay rent when he himself gets a mortgage holiday on the house you're living in!

I'm in a council house mate, I just think the government are so out of touch it's unreal, 1st they say work from home that's fine if you work in an office most dont, I'm a roofer what should I do,  get people to send their roof to me so I can repair it n now they say people with mortgages will get a reprieve, they obviously think everybody works in an office, has 2.4 children and mortgage. I'd just like to add if that is the way some live then that's fine by me, I just want to know what about me n other people without a mortgage n office job

6 minutes ago, jcs said:

I'm in a council house mate, I just think the government are so out of touch it's unreal, 1st they say work from home that's fine if you work in an office most dont, I'm a roofer what should I do,  get people to send their roof to me so I can repair it n now they say people with mortgages will get a reprieve, they obviously think everybody works in an office, has 2.4 children and mortgage. I'd just like to add if that is the way some live then that's fine by me, I just want to know what about me n other people without a mortgage n office job

Ther Scottish government have said they are looking at rent holidays for tenants, nothing more concrete than that atm, sorry.

5 minutes ago, phart said:

Ther Scottish government have said they are looking at rent holidays for tenants, nothing more concrete than that atm, sorry.

If to say i haven't heard that yet it's hard to keep up with all the info, so thanks for that, just really worried as most are 

1 hour ago, jcs said:

I believe that the advice was to work from home wherever possible.

Everyone is in the same boat, and has their own concerns/issues that this will cause. We’re all going to have to take whatever sort of hit we can afford on this, and work things out as best we can. I don’t think that there’s any reason to be getting annoyed at this early stage, that won’t help anything. Everything is up in the air at the moment, and we all have our own individual situations to deal with.

1 hour ago, jcs said:

If to say i haven't heard that yet it's hard to keep up with all the info, so thanks for that, just really worried as most are 

Even in normal times you need to be in arrears for months before councils even think about trying to evict you. No council is going to want to evict folk at this time. I know it's worrying and you won't want to be in debt but there is no need to panic.

Can you not keep working in the meantime? I don't think anybody is telling you to stop working yet, if you have work to do that is. 

13 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Everyone is in the same boat, and has their own concerns/issues that this will cause. We’re all going to have to take whatever sort of hit we can afford on this, and work things out as best we can. I don’t think that there’s any reason to be getting annoyed at this early stage, that won’t help anything. Everything is up in the air at the moment, and we all have our own individual situations to deal with.

I'm not annoyed I'm worried

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Even in normal times you need to be in arrears for months before councils even think about trying to evict you. No council is going to want to evict folk at this time. I know it's worrying and you won't want to be in debt but there is no need to panic.

Can you not keep working in the meantime? I don't think anybody is telling you to stop working yet, if you have work to do that is. 

Im working on a site near Dundee driving through from Glasgow every day at the moment although the site agent said they think the site will be shut down possibly by Friday 

52 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I believe JCS was looking for advice and support not a lecture and the bit in bold shows what a hypocrite you are. You called me selfish a couple of days ago, pot, kettle, black.

2 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

I believe JCS was looking for advice and support not a lecture and the bit in bold shows what a hypocrite you are. You called me selfish a couple of days ago, pot, kettle, black.

What do you mean?

I meant that everybody is having to readjust at the moment, so there is no reason to moan about your own individual situation, because we’re all in the same boat.

That's me working from home for 12 weeks due to underlying condition. It's going to be a challenge especially with 2 teenage girls and a stressed Mrs Slasher for company. Might need to move my 92 year old Dad in for company as well. 

Anyway I don't give a fuck as long as we all get through it. Good luck to all tambers and as Dave Allen used to say 'May your God go with you'. 

Edited by slasher

13 minutes ago, slasher said:

That's me working from home for 12 weeks due to underlying condition. It's going to be a challenge especially with 2 teenage girls and a stressed Mrs Slasher for company. Might need to move my 92 year old Dad in for company as well. 

Anyway I don't give a fuck as long as we all get through it. Good luck to all tambers and as Dave Allen used to say 'May your God go with you'. 

All the best to you slasher 

3 hours ago, jcs said:

I'm not annoyed I'm worried

Im working on a site near Dundee driving through from Glasgow every day at the moment although the site agent said they think the site will be shut down possibly by Friday 

I'm the same as you jcs,i install and decomm cabling so i can't work from home.

Fingers crossed that everyone can get something sorted asap as the longer it goes the more worrying people will become.

Good luck slasher and i hope the underlying condition doesn't cause you to much grief.

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Hang in there, Slasher.

We'll all hopefully meet up in 2021 or at least Hampden.

God bless you and your family.

2 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Hang in there, Slasher.

We'll all hopefully meet up in 2021 or at least Hampden.

God bless you and your family.

Cheers bud that'd be great! 

Ive no doubts I'm going to be fine 👊 but thanks for the support. 

God bless you and yours x

5 minutes ago, slasher said:

Cheers bud that'd be great! 

Ive no doubts I'm going to be fine 👊 but thanks for the support. 

God bless you and yours x

And yours too, big man.

Only year I've actively done lent in a long time.

Yikes should go back to being relapsed and lazy.

15 hours ago, dohadeer said:

What do you mean?

I meant that everybody is having to readjust at the moment, so there is no reason to moan about your own individual situation, because we’re all in the same boat.

Except not everybody’s circumstances are the same. Some clearly have greater cause for concern than others. You either can’t comprehend that or just don’t want to, hence your selfish dismissal of people’s very valid concerns. Grow up and show some compassion.