Lyndon Dykes - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lyndon Dykes

andyD

1 hour ago, dohadeer said:

Because McBurnie is a quality player, as his club performances have shown for at least 2 years.

I’d love for mcburnie to prove me wrong and start firing them in for Scotland but so far when I’ve seen him play even at club level he’s looked like Colin nish after a half bottle 

15 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

He’s only got 9 caps, and several of those were for a matter of minutes. Have a bit of patience. He’s shown in his club performances that he’s a good player. Don’t write him off after a few games and move on to a Livingston striker. That’s crazy talk.

Yeah, as I said an hour ago, in a post you quoted, he may yet come good. 

Doesn't change the fact that in his 9 caps and 460 minutes thus far he has been at best ineffective and at worst downright dreadful. 

As for Dykes, I can see a case for including him, but don't see why that would have to be instead of Mcburnie. Not like we are spoiled for options. 

Thankfully, Leigh Griffiths is fit and in form. Unless that changes, and if the game goes ahead at all, he'll surely be starting. Maybe as the only out and out striker, maybe not. 

50 minutes ago, loanhead-tartan said:

I’d love for mcburnie to prove me wrong and start firing them in for Scotland but so far when I’ve seen him play even at club level he’s looked like Colin nish after a half bottle 

Strange that he keeps his place in a team that are competing at such a high level, isn’t it?

It’s almost like he’s performing well in the games that you’re not watching.

4 hours ago, loanhead-tartan said:

Just because he has a multi million pound price tag on him does that make him untouchable ? Let’s be honest naebody can disagree he’s been rank rotten for Scotland .why no give other players a chance 

How many minutes has he played for Scotland... And how many players got pass marks in the matches he played? 

If you think Dykes is anywhere near McBurnies level, there is absolutely no point discussing this

37 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

How many minutes has he played for Scotland... And how many players got pass marks in the matches he played? 

If you think Dykes is anywhere near McBurnies level, there is absolutely no point discussing this

Not once did I say he was near mcburnies level . My point was clear that why not give dykes a chance as mcburnie clearly hasn’t been setting the heather alight 

1 minute ago, loanhead-tartan said:

Not once did I say he was near mcburnies level . My point was clear that why not give dykes a chance as mcburnie clearly hasn’t been setting the heather alight 

I don't think McBurnie has had a fair crack of the whip, he's clearly a better player than most of our strikers, if not all, and we should persevere with him

3 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I don't think McBurnie has had a fair crack of the whip, he's clearly a better player than most of our strikers, if not all, and we should persevere with him

He's definitely not better than Griffiths, it's arguable wether he's better than our other strikers. He's certainly not better for Scotland than naismith. mcburnies had 460mins for Scotland and has been absolutely terrible. I am willing to give him more chances in the future but he shouldn't be starting our upcoming game/s. I ain't keen on lyndon dykes either, it just shows how weak up front we are that we are considering dykes for our squad. 

10 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

He certainly needs a good run of games , you might get the best out of him if you stick Griffiths up top in a 2 , someone who’ll do a lot of the dirty work 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

He's definitely not better than Griffiths, it's arguable wether he's better than our other strikers. He's certainly not better for Scotland than naismith. mcburnies had 460mins for Scotland and has been absolutely terrible. I am willing to give him more chances in the future but he shouldn't be starting our upcoming game/s. I ain't keen on lyndon dykes either, it just shows how weak up front we are that we are considering dykes for our squad. 

Definitely not better than Griffiths? I'm no so sure masel

13 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

He's a better player, but not a better striker.

His overall contribution in the Sheffield United team has been massive, his goal return hasn't.

Just depends what you want from your striker and what you can expect from your other ten players.

25 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I don’t think that you can state as a fact that McBurnie is definitely not better than Griffiths. What is that based on?

It’s pretty difficult to make a straight comparison between what McBurnie does for Sheffield United and what Griffiths does for Celtic, as they are two completely different roles that they are performing (even though both strikers.)

Football is a hierarchy system, and someone playing regularly at the business end of the English Premiership has a very good claim to being a better player than someone playing for Celtic.

Please be fair in your assessments of players.

4 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I don’t think that you can state as a fact that McBurnie is definitely not better than Griffiths. What is that based on?

It’s pretty difficult to make a straight comparison between what McBurnie does for Sheffield United and what Griffiths does for Celtic, as they are two completely different roles that they are performing (even though both strikers.)

Football is a hierarchy system, and someone playing regularly at the business end of the English Premiership has a very good claim to being a better player than someone playing for Celtic.

Please be fair in your assessments of players.

I have been fair, Griffiths imo is a better player than mcburnie. By your logic mcburnie is better than edouard. Sheffield are having a great season but I reckon they will finish 8th. Many average sides with average to poor players have finished 8th in the epl. Burnley was 7th a couple of years ago. Celtic has had lots of strikers and players in general who are better than mcburnie over the years. Just because you play epl doesn't mean you are better than celtic players. Mcburnie has scored 4 goals all season and is not a good epl striker. Imo I Griffith's is better. That's a fair assessment and just because you don't like it doesn't mean its not a fair assessment. 

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I have been fair, Griffiths imo is a better player than mcburnie. By your logic mcburnie is better than edouard. Sheffield are having a great season but I reckon they will finish 8th. Many average sides with average to poor players have finished 8th in the epl. Burnley was 7th a couple of years ago. Celtic has had lots of strikers and players in general who are better than mcburnie over the years. Just because you play epl doesn't mean you are better than celtic players. Mcburnie has scored 4 goals all season and is not a good epl striker. Imo I Griffith's is better. That's a fair assessment and just because you don't like it doesn't mean its not a fair assessment. 

No, what I didn’t like was you stating it as a fact.

That’s fair enough as an opinion, but it isn’t a fact.

I certainly wouldn’t be judging McBurnie’s season on how many goals he’s scored, and neither are Sheffield United, as he keeps getting selected. There’s far, far more to his role than that.

Look how much money is riding on the English Premier League and how competitive it is from top to bottom. You have to be doing something very right to finish in the top half of that league. Teams that you mention like Burnley and Sheffield United are far better than you give them credit for.

7 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

No, what I didn’t like was you stating it as a fact.

That’s fair enough as an opinion, but it isn’t a fact.

I certainly wouldn’t be judging McBurnie’s season on how many goals he’s scored, and neither are Sheffield United, as he keeps getting selected. There’s far, far more to his role than that.

Look how much money is riding on the English Premier League and how competitive it is from top to bottom. You have to be doing something very right to finish in the top half of that league. Teams that you mention like Burnley and Sheffield United are far better than you give them credit for.

Aye, some contest at the top of that league. Only the 25 points between first and second.

24 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Mcburnie has scored 4 goals all season and is not a good epl striker.

McBurnie's scored 3 times as many goals at home this season than Firminho..

Firminho's trash! If he was Scottish, I'd not have him near the team! Roll on Dykes!

1 hour ago, andyD said:

McBurnie's scored 3 times as many goals at home this season than Firminho..

Firminho's trash! If he was Scottish, I'd not have him near the team! Roll on Dykes!

Exactly the example that I was about to use.

Look how many goals Liverpool have scored this season, and yet their striker, Firmino hasn’t scored a single league goal at Anfield. A striker’s game in most cases is about so much more than how many goals they score.

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Aye, some contest at the top of that league. Only the 25 points between first and second.

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear on that one. I meant how competitive the league is outside the ‘big six’ - usually from positions 7 to 20.

(Off-topic, but that 20-odd point gap between Liverpool and Man City is mostly a statistical anomaly, rather than a true reflection of the difference in standard between those two teams. There is very little between them - certainly not as much as the point gap suggests - Liverpool have just had a statistically historical season in terms of single-goal victories.)

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Which sides in the epl do you think Griffiths would regularly start for?

13 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I jest. 

I agree. It’s like Robertson and Tierney.

Some insane Celtic fans probably still think Tierney is better.

Its a shame McBurnie is such an unlikeable helmet though. 

18 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

As I said though you cannot judge players on 'what ifs' only on judging players at the same level. Griffiths and McBurnie have both played international football and Griffiths has been much more potent than McBurnie - the stats tells us that. Griffiths 19 Caps 4 Goals with McBurmie 9 Caps 0 Goals.