Lyndon Dykes - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lyndon Dykes

andyD

26 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Which sides in the epl do you think Griffiths would regularly start for?

I think he would probably get a start for some of the lower half epl clubs. I think he could get a start for Sheffield United as well because they have such poor strikers. I think long run mcburnie won't make the grade at top half epl team, I think he will end up back in the championship or at a relegation battler in the epl. Sheffield United have had a good team spirit this season and punched well above their weight but in the long run they don't have the talent to sustain a top half finish every season and will end up a bottom half team. They do have some cracking players like fleck but they also have some poor players. As I said I expect mcburnie not to make the grade at a top half epl team. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As I said though you cannot judge players on 'what ifs' only on judging players at the same level. Griffiths and McBurnie have both played international football and Griffiths has been much more potent than McBurnie - the stats tells us that. Griffiths 19 Caps 4 Goals with McBurmie 9 Caps 0 Goals.

McBurnie is a young guy who has a long career ahead of him, he's not prolific at the top level but he's clearly got enough to his game to suggest that he'll have a better career than a guy who has score 4 goals for his country in 8 years? 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think he would probably get a start for some of the lower half epl clubs. I think he could get a start for Sheffield United as well because they have such poor strikers. I think long run mcburnie won't make the grade at top half epl team, I think he will end up back in the championship or at a relegation battler in the epl. Sheffield United have had a good team spirit this season and punched well above their weight but in the long run they don't have the talent to sustain a top half finish every season and will end up a bottom half team. They do have some cracking players like fleck but they also have some poor players. As I said I expect mcburnie not to make the grade at a top half epl team. 

I wonder why the blades didn't buy Griffiths for a couple of million rather than spend megabucks on McBurnie

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I jest. 

I agree. It’s like Robertson and Tierney.

Some insane Celtic fans probably still think Tierney is better.

Its a shame McBurnie is such an unlikeable helmet though. 

Granted its been difficult to gauge due to his injury problems, but I think Tierney is a bit better than Robertson. And I'm not insane. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As I said though you cannot judge players on 'what ifs' only on judging players at the same level. Griffiths and McBurnie have both played international football and Griffiths has been much more potent than McBurnie - the stats tells us that. Griffiths 19 Caps 4 Goals with McBurmie 9 Caps 0 Goals.

Tiny sample size and also far too simplistic to be judging them solely on goals scored.

12 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

If they're not insane, they are either blind, thick or a tim

Not insane (although my maternal great-grandmother had issues), not blind (though have had a stye that has lingered a few weeks),

not thick (honestly), am a Celtic fan. 

Ah, that must be it. Can't have an opinion as am a Celtic fan. Think Robertson's a very good player. Think Tierney's better. Not much in it.

9 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Not insane (although my maternal great-grandmother had issues), not blind (though have had a stye that has lingered a few weeks),

Ah, that must be it. Can't have an opinion as am a Celtic fan. Think Robertson's a very good player. Think Tierney's better. Not much in it.

Tierney isn’t even a first-choice in the Arsenal team, is he?

16 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It took Griffiths 12/13 games to score his first goal for Scotland. Also he has only 2 goals from open play in 19 games. 

Griffiths like McBurnie doesn't really suit playing as a lone striker. They could actually work well as a tandem but I highly doubt we'll play 2 up front.

26 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

It took Griffiths 12/13 games to score his first goal for Scotland. Also he has only 2 goals from open play in 19 games. 

Griffiths like McBurnie doesn't really suit playing as a lone striker. They could actually work well as a tandem but I highly doubt we'll play 2 up front.

Griffiths was excellent in the lone striker role in the second half of the wc qualifying campaign. He should of got a chance to continue in that role as he had earned it. 

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Griffiths was excellent in the lone striker role in the second half of the wc qualifying campaign. He should of got a chance to continue in that role as he had earned it. 

Did you watch the thumb against Belgium at Hampden? Without doubt the worst performance from a centre forward I've seen

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

See, all Tierney-over-Robertson types, fit into the categories outlined 

20 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Did you watch the thumb against Belgium at Hampden? Without doubt the worst performance from a centre forward I've seen

I was at that game and Griffiths played reasonably well. Scotland actually played quite well in the first half but obviously Belgium are several levels above us. 

25 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Griffiths was absolutely howling in that match 

Not from where I was sitting, I remember being pissed off because he was subbed at half time for naismith. It was a friendly Tbf so maybe mcleish was wanting to give more players gametime. I have seen Griffiths have relatively poor games for Scotland and celtic but the difference is that he is still able to control a ball and make a pass. In all the games I have seen of mcburnie he has struggled to do even the basics of that. I have often watched mcburnie and wondered how he managed to make it as a pro footballer. 

22 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

He was disgracefully bad,... And I'm a guy that likes him as a player 

Well it comes down to opinions. Most on here agree that mcburnie has been terrible for Scotland. We should have a poll up of who we want up front for this game. I can guarantee it won't mcburnie. 

17 hours ago, duncan II said:

Granted its been difficult to gauge due to his injury problems, but I think Tierney is a bit better than Robertson. And I'm not insane. 

I think Tierney is the better defender of the two, but Robertson is the better all round footballer.

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well it comes down to opinions. Most on here agree that mcburnie has been terrible for Scotland. We should have a poll up of who we want up front for this game. I can guarantee it won't mcburnie. 

We shouldn’t be writing McBurnie off because of that though. Players can have bad games. He’s proving in the English Premier League that he’s a good player - certainly by our recent standard of strikers. We can’t judge him solely on a few Scotland games, games during which we’ve been pretty rotten on the whole as a team.

19 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

We shouldn’t be writing McBurnie off because of that though. Players can have bad games. He’s proving in the English Premier League that he’s a good player - certainly by our recent standard of strikers. We can’t judge him solely on a few Scotland games, games during which we’ve been pretty rotten on the whole as a team.

So you would start him in the upcoming game despite him being terrible for us.