Lyndon Dykes - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lyndon Dykes

andyD

Paper talk that Clarke's been trying to get him to choose Scotland.

Bit of an odd one to me. A very average striker, having i guess an exceptional season for him.
9 goals in 25, up from 2 in 36 last season.

He's got some height about him, which was a reason I had suggested Ross Stewart a little bit ago.
But Dykes only seems to score unmarked tap-ins from what I can see. The odd header.
He does seem to make chances for others which is good.. but..

Griffiths, Shankland, McBurnie, Naismith, Rhodes, Hornby, Brophy..
It feels like Dykes would be bottom of this list (whatever order you want to put the other 7 in)

He could make a good foil for a Griffiths, potentially. Tend to see decent to good link up play from Dykes, he's an obvious target for the corners Leigh can swing in as well. He certainly has given Jullien and Ajer tough times for Celtic this season and has done well against Rangers, too as far as that counts for anything. I'd not be against his inclusion. 

He’s got a talent for bullying defenders which is something I like in a striker and something we don’t really have in anyone other than Paterson.

He’d be down the pecking order for me right now but as Naismith is close to being done and Rhodes/Martin/Fletcher probably are finished at international level for various reasons I’d get him on board and get him capped.

7 hours ago, andyD said:

Griffiths, Shankland, McBurnie, Naismith, Rhodes, Hornby, Brophy..
It feels like Dykes would be bottom of this list (whatever order you want to put the other 7 in)

Dykes is a much better player than Brophy. 

Hornby has barely played professional football and he’s not done well on his loan. 

Rhodes is past it, there’s no way he should be considered. 

Naismith isn’t as good as he was and should only be considered due to experience. 

Dykes has all the attributes to be a good standard international player and play at high level English Championship. 

Not sure why he’d pick us over Australia though. 

Edited by Super_Scotlandfan

6 minutes ago, p gala ta said:

Let’s get Dykes tied down , we don’t want another Martin Boyle situation.

If he doesn’t make it in international football then fair enough , he has to be better than McBurnie who never ceases to underwhelm for Scotland and Sheffield .

I don’t think he has to be better than him at all.

Livingston.

Sheffield United.

Edited by dohadeer

1 hour ago, loanhead-tartan said:

Rather give him a chance than have mcburnie kicking aboot half arsed no wanting to be there 

1 hour ago, p gala ta said:

If he doesn’t make it in international football then fair enough , he has to be better than McBurnie who never ceases to underwhelm for Scotland and Sheffield .

The amazing world of the 'TA messageboard'... A guy that scored 2 goals for QOTS last season or a guy that go a multi-million pound move to the top end of the EPL... My fucking word

1 hour ago, p gala ta said:

I'm not a giant McBurnie fan, but I think it's worth pointing out here that he's only played 195 minutes of competitive football for Scotland. Some people seem to think he's been terrible in tons of matches for some reason?

Also, his performances for Sheffield Utd haven't been that underwhelming. He might not be banging in the goals, but his link up play is excellent, and an EPL team pushing for Champions League football seem to be comfortable starting him in every game. They would tear recent Scotland teams to shreds btw.

10 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The amazing world of the 'TA messageboard'... A guy that scored 2 goals for QOTS last season or a guy that go a multi-million pound move to the top end of the EPL... My fucking word

Just because he has a multi million pound price tag on him does that make him untouchable ? Let’s be honest naebody can disagree he’s been rank rotten for Scotland .why no give other players a chance 

58 minutes ago, loanhead-tartan said:

Just because he has a multi million pound price tag on him does that make him untouchable ? Let’s be honest naebody can disagree he’s been rank rotten for Scotland .why no give other players a chance 

Because McBurnie is a quality player, as his club performances have shown for at least 2 years.

McBurnie may come good and has had a few decent games for his club this season, but let's not act like he is having some revelatory season. Let's also remember that, at least up to this stage, McBurnie has been pretty rancid in a Scotland jersey.

At best, he has been ineffective. I still cannae quite believe just how bad he was when he come on in Cyprus. For a guy playing at the level he is, with as many career appearances as he has, he was just a shambles. 

McBurnie will be included, though; we would be silly not to have him in the squad. 

Dykes might be worth a shout, but if he is not included I don't think it will be some fatal error or glaring omission. 

10 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

McBurnie may come good and has had a few decent games for his club this season, but let's not act like he is having some revelatory season. Let's also remember that, at least up to this stage, McBurnie has been pretty rancid in a Scotland jersey.

At best, he has been ineffective. I still cannae quite believe just how bad he was when he come on in Cyprus. For a guy playing at the level he is, with as many career appearances as he has, he was just a shambles. 

McBurnie will be included, though; we would be silly not to have him in the squad. 

Dykes might be worth a shout, but if he is not included I don't think it will be some fatal error or glaring omission. 

Sheffield United didn’t get to where they are by carrying any passengers. Every one of their regular players are performing to a very high level.

26 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Sheffield United didn’t get to where they are by carrying any passengers. Every one of their regular players are performing to a very high level.

I don't think he has been putting in 'very high level' performances for Sheffield United, as it happens, but regardless, when he has played for Scotland he has ranged from poor to chronic thus far. If he does get game time in this game, we can only hope this changes drastically. Otherwise, he'll be a waste of a jersey. Again. 

If he can perform at an okay level for Scotland, that would be a marked improvement on his showings thus far. 

13 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I don't think he has been putting in 'very high level' performances for Sheffield United, as it happens, but regardless, when he has played for Scotland he has ranged from poor to chronic thus far. If he does get game time in this game, we can only hope this changes drastically. Otherwise, he'll be a waste of a jersey. Again. 

If he can perform at an okay level for Scotland, that would be a marked improvement on his showings thus far. 

He’s only got 9 caps, and several of those were for a matter of minutes. Have a bit of patience. He’s shown in his club performances that he’s a good player. Don’t write him off after a few games and move on to a Livingston striker. That’s crazy talk.