Gigs 2020 - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Being an old fart who's been going to gigs for a long time, I've noticed in recent years that audiences(particularly youngre ones) only want to hear replicas of the original recording so they can treat it as a Karaoke sort of thing. Changing arrangement of somgs seems not to go down well.

Maybe it's just me being old but I think it's down to the Spotify generation where attention is only on one song generally.

5 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

First live concert in ages ;

Skydiggers at Danforth music hall in Toronto

Seemingly a xmas tradition here ; few guest appearances by singer from bare naked ladies and blue rodeo etc

Blue Rodeo are one of my favourite bands. They played in the centre of whistler the day Canada won gold in the ice hockey 2010 winter Olympics it was unreal, the place was buzzing.

Saw them a couple of other times in free gigs in whistler too. Top band

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Blue Rodeo are one of my favourite bands. They played in the centre of whistler the day Canada won gold in the ice hockey 2010 winter Olympics it was unreal, the place was buzzing.

Saw them a couple of other times in free gigs in whistler too. Top band

Ive only seen them once before ; at stampede in Calgary 

tbh not my taste in sounds ; but jim cuddy has a great voice

On 12/28/2022 at 2:11 AM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Ive only seen them once before ; at stampede in Calgary 

tbh not my taste in sounds ; but jim cuddy has a great voice

Sorry meant to reply at the time. Fair enough, what about a bit of Tragically Hip? Saw them a few times too. 

Some great musicians from Canada, and then Chad Kroeger 🤢

On 12/20/2022 at 11:36 AM, jailender said:

Being an old fart who's been going to gigs for a long time, I've noticed in recent years that audiences(particularly youngre ones) only want to hear replicas of the original recording so they can treat it as a Karaoke sort of thing. Changing arrangement of somgs seems not to go down well.

Maybe it's just me being old but I think it's down to the Spotify generation where attention is only on one song generally.

It's not just you! That's why I shelled out to watch Bob Dylan last year. Was a bit peeved to have my phone locked in a bag for the gig but what a great concert. The band were excellent, a couple of classics with different arrangements and he can still sing at 81 years old.....and not a single phone to block the view😎.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the James Orchestral tour at the Usher Hall in April (and I'll probably go to the Hydro too).  Springsteen at Murrayfield booked too although I find stadium gigs a bit of a grind these days, especially standing, but I'm sure I'll love it when I'm there.  And then it's Pulp at TRNSMT in July when I'm pretty sure I'll be the oldest person there (well actually, Mrs F will!!).

My mate and I have been talking for ages about picking a band we don't know at random and going to see them so we're going to see The Clause at King Tuts in March.  Know nothing about them and we're resisting the temptation to listen before we go.  I'm sure they'll be great....

25 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Got the James Orchestral tour at the Usher Hall in April (and I'll probably go to the Hydro too).  Springsteen at Murrayfield booked too although I find stadium gigs a bit of a grind these days, especially standing, but I'm sure I'll love it when I'm there.  And then it's Pulp at TRNSMT in July when I'm pretty sure I'll be the oldest person there (well actually, Mrs F will!!).

My mate and I have been talking for ages about picking a band we don't know at random and going to see them so we're going to see The Clause at King Tuts in March.  Know nothing about them and we're resisting the temptation to listen before we go.  I'm sure they'll be great....

Nope.

On 1/7/2023 at 1:40 AM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Belle@Sebastian playing the Bronson Center here in Ottawa this May. Just found out. Never seen them live, definitely won't miss this... 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍

You won’t be, the tour’s been cancelled due to illness - Stuart Murdoch. They are playing in Europe later in the year though.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I’m trying to convince her to stay an extra night after Def Leppard to go to trnsmt and see Pulp, my assumption is the original gig was moved from Hampden to GG as it’s logistically easier to set up stages etc. 

48 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I’m trying to convince her to stay an extra night after Def Leppard to go to trnsmt and see Pulp, my assumption is the original gig was moved from Hampden to GG as it’s logistically easier to set up stages etc. 

Aye they usually have something on at GG the night before TRNSMT each year.  Think it was Biffy last year if I remember correctly.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

You don't know how old my wife is! 😉

I raise you ‘Mr Tidy’. 

Are you going general admission? Last time we went to Transmt we paid a bit more for VIP as I am old and need a seat if we are there hours on end 😊 You also got access to an area close to the stage and could just wander up before the act came on. It worked really well and wasn’t too pricey. There was only 2 levels last time, general admission and VIP.

But this time there are 3 categories. The normal VIP get you benches and better loos but you need to pay even more if you want near the front. I am not sure its worth it , I am no exactly 18 anymore and as everyone knows I don’t throw my knickers at the groups…

Edited by TDYER63