Gigs 2020 - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

35 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I take it you meant £250-£350?

That does remind of me how much gig tickets have inflated though. I remember going to see David Bowie at the SECC in the 90s, decided at the last minute. Morrissey had been billed as special guest but he'd pulled out in the huff over something so they were offering a full refund. I turned up at the box office where there was a massive queue, but soon realised it was folk wanting their money back. There was an empty kiosk selling tickets next along, the woman seemed astonished "you actually want to buy a ticket?!!"

The reviewer in the Record the next day had also interviewed some of the people queuing for refunds, and the quote that's always stuck with me was "Bowie's ok but he's not worth 25 quid".

Bowie played The Barras 25 years ago today and it was 15 quid a ticket!!

• 1 month later...

Coldplay at Hampden tonight was brilliant.

They set up a wee acoustic stage right in front of us and brought on Edwin Collins. They did ' A girl like you' .

Edwin was greetin, it was his birthday and Chris got us all to sing a wee happy birthday to him 

Twas quite emotional.

they put on a guid show.

who knows I might get to see some fitba there sometime...

that's 3 gigs there in 8 weeks

😎💛🤘

Edited by stocky

6 hours ago, stocky said:

Coldplay at Hampden tonight was brilliant.

They set up a wee acoustic stage right in front of us and brought on Edwin Collins. They did ' A girl like you' .

Edwin was greetin, it was his birthday and Chris got us all to sing a wee happy birthday to him 

Twas quite emotional.

they put on a guid show.

who knows I might get to see some fitba there sometime...

that's 3 gigs there in 8 weeks

😎💛🤘

I’m off to see them tonight, looking forward to it. Only seen then once before in Dublin and it was a cracking gig. 

• 2 months later...

Can't believe people like Coldplay 😂

So far this year seen 

Simon and Oscar of OCS play in Paisley was brilliant.

Gave counting crows a miss due to my knee.

Band called Balado from Neilston/Barrhead playing King Tuts on the 10th December I think. Not bad if anyone wants to see a small band that are trying to make it for a tenner.

They are on Spotify if anyone wants a listen 

Edited by Kirk

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Shout out to my daughters pals band, Declan Welsh and the Decadent West. Playing the barras on Friday , only a few tickets left. 

Brilliant, if I was fit this is the kind of thing I try to go to.

6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

👍 they are good , try and get along next time when you recover. 

I'll give them a listen tonight when i canny sleep 
Yeah don't fancy the Barras stairs, I could manage but it's just a hassle. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They are superb.

Did you see them last night by any chance? My daughters were there, I was watching the dug for them. They told me to come but  I felt I would need to pretend to be a family member of the band to maintain any degree of respect at my age.  
My friends son is in a band, Retro Video Club, my friend retired a few years ago and travels everywhere with them, he loves it. Gets all over Europe. 

7 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Did you see them last night by any chance? My daughters were there, I was watching the dug for them. They told me to come but  I felt I would need to pretend to be a family member of the band to maintain any degree of respect at my age.  
My friends son is in a band, Retro Video Club, my friend retired a few years ago and travels everywhere with them, he loves it. Gets all over Europe. 

My daughter was at the Barrowland last night and absolutely loved it, she showed me a few clips of the gig and they looked very good.

I, on the other hand am going to see the Vintage Explosion at the ferry next weekend 😂

16 hours ago, slasher said:

My daughter was at the Barrowland last night and absolutely loved it, she showed me a few clips of the gig and they looked very good.

I, on the other hand am going to see the Vintage Explosion at the ferry next weekend 😂

😂 I had to google Vintage Explosion. They look good fun , ‘Vintage’ meaning  ‘cool’ for over 40’s  😁 

Glad your daughter enjoyed herself. My daughter did too , she was saying there was actually quite a mixed crowd which is probably to be expected when a band is trying to breakthrough and friends and family are supporting them. To sell out the barras without mainstream advertising is a big achievement .  

• 2 weeks later...

Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott last night and although Jacqui couldn't make it due to illness it was a great night loads of stuff from the housemartins, beautiful south to the present day. Billy Bragg was supporting and he was brilliant as usual. 

On 11/19/2022 at 10:55 AM, TDYER63 said:

Just saw this, no wasn't at the gig unfortunately!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Was at Paolo Nutini at the Hydro on Friday and he was superb.  Hydro was the busiest I've ever seen it.

My daughter was there with her friend on Tuesday and said it was a pretty crap crowd who didn’t seem up for it. They enjoyed it , said he was really good, but folk were moaning because he wasn’t playing all his hits . 
The crowd has a big impact. 

A good artist/band will tour their latest album with the new + a mix of old favourites and (if they've been around a while) some early stuff that folk coming to them late may not have heard.

If they're just playing a string of hits they are lucky IMO.   At least one of them's no deid.

Oanyhoo, interesting the different perspectives on the Nutini gig.   I've been to the Hydro a few times and not that keen on it.   I've found it very different depending on where I was.   Loud and colourful standing front and centre (not for everybody), but wishy-washy sounding standing round the edges.   Seated felt pretty detached to me, particularly if stuck behind a perspex screen.

Then again, my experience is limited as I've declined some gigs there. Prefer wee ones.... grotty and smelly 😀

15 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

My daughter was there with her friend on Tuesday and said it was a pretty crap crowd who didn’t seem up for it. They enjoyed it , said he was really good, but folk were moaning because he wasn’t playing all his hits . 
The crowd has a big impact. 

He did play a a few of his older hits (Candy, Pencil Full of Lead, Jenny, New Shoes) but they were all very different arrangements and a lot more bluesy/soulful than the originals.  I've heard a few people complaining about them but I thought they were all excellent.  The band played a really long, trippy LA Woman influenced intro to Pencil Full Of Lead and it was probably the highlight of the night for me!

In terms of the crowd we were standing but probably about as far back as you can get so didn't really get a feel for how into it or not they were but I think it's testament to how good Paolo was (or how much I was enjoying it) that it didn't really impact us, and I say that as someone who isn't exactly a die hard fan.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

He did play a a few of his older hits (Candy, Pencil Full of Lead, Jenny, New Shoes) but they were all very different arrangements and a lot more bluesy/soulful than the originals.  I've heard a few people complaining about them but I thought they were all excellent.  The band played a really long, trippy LA Woman influenced intro to Pencil Full Of Lead and it was probably the highlight of the night for me!

In terms of the crowd we were standing but probably about as far back as you can get so didn't really get a feel for how into it or not they were but I think it's testament to how good Paolo was (or how much I was enjoying it) that it didn't really impact us, and I say that as someone who isn't exactly a die hard fan.

Yeah, my daughter was saying he was in a legal dispute with an old manager or something and that is maybe why he was restricted on the songs he played and also the fact the ones he did play were different arrangements. 
She enjoyed it anyway. That said, she is a teacher and got a text on the way to the gig that the school was closed next day due to the cold weather. So she was able to have a couple of glasses of wine ! That always helps 😁

( don’t tell Orraloon , it will set him off on teachers again…)