The Alex Salmond Trial - Politics - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Alex Salmond Trial

exile

The Alex Salmond trial and the dangers of writing about it

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18289604.alex-salmond-trial-dangers-writing/?ref=ar

"If you are tempted to speculate on Twitter about a person’s guilt in a live criminal case before the court reaches its verdict, consider this."

(A thread relating to the trial, but avoiding speculation on the accused during the live trial, and avoiding being part of the existing thread that already does.)

Edited by exile

1 minute ago, exile said:

The Alex Salmond trial and the dangers of writing about it

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18289604.alex-salmond-trial-dangers-writing/?ref=ar

(A thread relating to the trial, but avoiding speculation on the accused during the live trial, and avoiding being part of the existing thread that already does.)

And yet

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

And yet

Yes, I know. But I suppose those are facts, the charges being brought, rather than speculation.

The Sunday Times has lawyers, we don't. Hence the new thread.

As if that article in the Herald could be any worse, the kid in the top row between Fred and Rose West and the Moors Murderers is James Bulger.  His mother's aware and isn't happy about it for pretty obvious reasons.

14 hours ago, aaid said:

As if that article in the Herald could be any worse, the kid in the top row between Fred and Rose West and the Moors Murderers is James Bulger.  His mother's aware and isn't happy about it for pretty obvious reasons.

So it seems they pulled the article - at least online - but it already shos the depths they're prepared to go.

I imagine they knew they couldn't get away with bringing the innocent little kid into it, even if they'd be happy to run with something linking a politician to torturers, murderers and cannibals.

Edited by exile

2 hours ago, exile said:

And an interpretation from Craig Murray, some things not in the mainstream reporting of the trial

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2020/03/the-alex-salmond-trial-your-man-excluded-from-the-gallery/

Other than Craig Murray's own spin on things, there's nothing in there that you couldn't have picked up from the mainstream media - and in fact those are the sources he's using.

8 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I remember reading stuff very similar to your caltonjock post before this one (I think from Craig Murray?) and reaching the same conclusion.   How could you not?   I wondered whether NS hired these people willingly.   I have a theory that is complete invention on my part, so will not give it here.

One other thing that is worth remembering is that the First Minister of Scotland does not have full control over which civil servants are hired. 

19 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

Reading the day to day account it doesn't look good for Alex Salmond.

One of the accusers is an SNP politician celebrating a Holyrood budget. An MSP??

All the complainers so far have been in the SNP in some form or other.  TBH, it'll amaze me if they aren't all SNP members if for no other reason that they'll be people in his wider general circle, not random women.

7 hours ago, aaid said:

Other than Craig Murray's own spin on things, there's nothing in there that you couldn't have picked up from the mainstream media - and in fact those are the sources he's using.

Yes, as I say it's Murray's interpretation - which is as you say, is drawing from the same sources - but puts things together in a different way, that gives a different perspective, a different complexion on things, compared with the mainstream storyline, but most people will only hear the mainstream version.

2 minutes ago, exile said:

Yes, as I say it's Murray's interpretation - which is as you say, is drawing from the same sources - but puts things together in a different way, that gives a different perspective, a different complexion on things, compared with the mainstream storyline, but most people will only hear the mainstream version.

I haven't read any "opinion" type pieces in the press, I'm not sure there are any given contempt laws, only factual reporting of what's been said in court, as far as it's possible to.

What don't you think you're being told, or what do you think is being spun by the MSM?

FWIW, I think Murray is skating on very thin ice as regards jigsaw identification in that piece.   

41 minutes ago, aaid said:

I haven't read any "opinion" type pieces in the press, I'm not sure there are any given contempt laws, only factual reporting of what's been said in court, as far as it's possible to.

What don't you think you're being told, or what do you think is being spun by the MSM?

FWIW, I think Murray is skating on very thin ice as regards jigsaw identification in that piece.   

I too was surprised at what was in here, given all that's been said about what people should or shouldn't say.

Murray himself says what he thinks is being told or not being told (near the end). He claims they are missing a lot of what was actually said in court and claims "It is extraordinary that mainstream media reports that I have seen mention none of this".

I wasn't intending to keep posting on this topic. The Grouse Beater blog seems to be summarising factual detail of the case in a concise report. But the existence of the Murray 'coverage' (as he did, more directly, for the Assange trial) also seemed relevant.

Edited by exile

18 minutes ago, exile said:

I too was surprised at what was in here, given all that's been said about what people should or shouldn't say.

Murray himself says what he thinks is being told or not being told (near the end). He claims they are missing a lot of what was actually said in court and claims "It is extraordinary that mainstream media reports that I have seen mention none of this".

I wasn't intending to keep posting on this topic. The Grouse Beater blog seems to be summarising factual detail of the case in a concise report. But the existence of the Murray 'coverage' (as he did, more directly, for the Assange trial) also seemed relevant.

Grouse beater seems good as does James Doleman in terms of straight reporting of what's been said.  

• 2 weeks later...