Retired/unavailable players - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Retired/unavailable players

Jmcq

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not convinced he is the answer either but have to admit I didn't think mumps would keep him out that long.

It’s more that his club have put him in isolation for 10 days, so he will only have a week or two of action under his belt after being out for two weeks, so doubt he will be match ready in time.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not convinced he is the answer either but have to admit I didn't think mumps would keep him out that long.

I had it when I was a kid and even over forty years later remember it being pretty nasty.

Anyone that tries to come out of international retirement if we reach Euro 2020 should be told to fuck off. 

The players that get us there are the players that should play in the finals. Unless a new player emerges of course, but players that can’t be bothered with qualifiers have no right to play at the finals in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Anyone that tries to come out of international retirement if we reach Euro 2020 should be told to fuck off. 

The players that get us there are the players that should play in the finals. Unless a new player emerges of course, but players that can’t be bothered with qualifiers have no right to play at the finals in my opinion. 

Agreed.

17 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Absolutely. Apart from Allan McGregor 

29 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I agree.

Just now, mrniaboc said:

To be fair, I he did actually get us to the playoffs.

No he didn’t.

He contributed with some decent saves with one amazing save at the end of the Israel game at Hampden. 

It would be fair to say we wouldn’t be in the playoffs if it wasn’t for McGregor but you could say the same about James Forrest, Naismith, Fraser and whoever else scored on the games we won or prevented goals by good defending.

McGregor doing his job by stopping the ball going in the back of the net before he retired doesn’t give him the right to come out of retirement if we qualify for the finals. If he tried to then it would ultimately be up to Steve Clarke but I would hope McGregor wouldn’t be so brazen. 

34 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Absolutely. Apart from Allan McGregor 

Football has an uncanny knack of biting people on the arse.

Typically, here's what would happen...

We qualify.

Allan McGregor makes himself available.

Allan McGregor starts tournament as Manager's first choice.

Allan McGregor f*cks up and costs us a place in the 2nd phase.

Football, eh?!   

On 3/8/2020 at 8:36 AM, Jmcq said:

Is there any players you want/ would have back in the squad that have recently retired or made themselves unavailable. Theres a lot of experience around but most  i think would struggle to even get a squad place imo.

McArthur ((wouldnt make my squad)

Ritchie (wouldmt make my squad. Really let us down before and obv doesnt care)

Brown (would struggle to get into squad and wouldnt want due to 2 regirements)

Snodgrass( would like in squad if showed full commitment)

Bardsley (wierd one. Obv doesnt want to play but would give another chance due to desperation)

Fletcher ( 50/50 unhappy at commitment but we need strikers so wouldnt mind him in next squad)

There is probably more that ive not mentioned too

McGregor is the worst of them all

Guaranteed starter

Doesn't want to play cause he got fined

Guest ElChris04

Agreed with the stance on players who want to come out retirement if we make the euros.  

you weren’t wanting to play in the games that mattered so we certainly don’t want passengers who only want to help there career CV. Any player who comes out retirement IF, we make Euro 2020 can be told to fuck off. Simple as that. 

8 hours ago, Bino's said:

McGregor is the worst of them all

Guaranteed starter

Doesn't want to play cause he got fined

McGregor was about 37 when he retired.

Also played for nearly 15 years with a lot of turning up for squads to sit on the bench and watch Craig Gordon play. 

He was a very good servant.

And he would be a godsend to have back. 

Just now, ProudScot said:

McGregor was about 37 when he retired.

Also played for nearly 15 years with a lot of turning up for squads to sit on the bench and watch Craig Gordon play. 

He was a very good servant.

And he would be a godsend to have back. 

Dino Zoff was playing at 40

but he didnt act like a spoilt bairn in the stands