Retired/unavailable players - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Retired/unavailable players

Jmcq

Is there any players you want/ would have back in the squad that have recently retired or made themselves unavailable. Theres a lot of experience around but most  i think would struggle to even get a squad place imo.

McArthur ((wouldnt make my squad)

Ritchie (wouldmt make my squad. Really let us down before and obv doesnt care)

Brown (would struggle to get into squad and wouldnt want due to 2 regirements)

Snodgrass( would like in squad if showed full commitment)

Bardsley (wierd one. Obv doesnt want to play but would give another chance due to desperation)

Fletcher ( 50/50 unhappy at commitment but we need strikers so wouldnt mind him in next squad)

There is probably more that ive not mentioned too

13 minutes ago, Jmcq said:

Is there any players you want/ would have back in the squad that have recently retired or made themselves unavailable. Theres a lot of experience around but most  i think would struggle to even get a squad place imo.

McArthur ((wouldnt make my squad)

Ritchie (wouldmt make my squad. Really let us down before and obv doesnt care)

Brown (would struggle to get into squad and wouldnt want due to 2 regirements)

Snodgrass( would like in squad if showed full commitment)

Bardsley (wierd one. Obv doesnt want to play but would give another chance due to desperation)

Fletcher ( 50/50 unhappy at commitment but we need strikers so wouldnt mind him in next squad)

There is probably more that ive not mentioned too

Forgot Allan McGregor.

The most obvious one who we very much need.

Only players from that list I can see making any kind of return are Fletcher (I do not think it’s a case of he does not want to play for us, as he really is the only one who has not came out and said anything about his position) and had our injury problems of late in midfield had not improved, I could have seen the SOS call out to Brown (and very well have seen him accept a recall) but do not think the need is as great just now.

The rest I think we can do without.... Ritchie, while arguably one of the best dead ball players we have had in recent years, just does not have the pace for international football.

Snodgrass, apart from a period around 2012/13, he just never reached his full potential with Scotland and his last few caps where just a real disappointment.

As little as a few weeks ago I'd have said Brown would walk straight into the starting 11. But with McTominay recovering, the form of Fleck, and the emergence of Gilmour, it is less imperative. Though Brown is still well worthy of a squad place.

Fletcher isn't getting much game time of late, otherwise I'd have picked him. But Snodgrass would easily make the squad, as would Allan McGregor.

Unpopular opinion, but I think the door should be left open for every player to return. Then it is up to the manager to decide who is worthy. Especially if we make the Euros.

James McArthur has been a big loss to us I think. One of those underrated players who performs consistently, year after year in the English Premier League.

Would fit perfectly into one of our defensive midfield roles, wouldn’t have to do anything different to what he does all year round for his club. Exactly the sort of consistent player that teams like Crystal Palace/Scotland need.

11 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

James McArthur has been a big loss to us I think. One of those underrated players who performs consistently, year after year in the English Premier League.

Would fit perfectly into one of our defensive midfield roles, wouldn’t have to do anything different to what he does all year round for his club. Exactly the sort of consistent player that teams like Crystal Palace/Scotland need.

His chance has gone but he should have been involved a lot more in the past.

3 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

So, total of goals and assists combined?

He has more goals than any other Scot in the EPL (apart from Fleck who also has 5), and he has more assists than any other Scot in the EPL other than Robbo, who has 7 but only 1 goal.

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Only players from that list I can see making any kind of return are Fletcher (I do not think it’s a case of he does not want to play for us, as he really is the only one who has not came out and said anything about his position) and had our injury problems of late in midfield had not improved, I could have seen the SOS call out to Brown (and very well have seen him accept a recall) but do not think the need is as great just now.

I must have missed our upcoming game against Gibraltar.

15 minutes ago, aaid said:

I must have missed our upcoming game against Gibraltar.

Not saying we will see Fletcher back any time soon, just to answer the original posters question about players we can see back.

Sheffield Wednesdays recent run of bad results actually poses more of a concern of Palmer going into the up gaming game(s).

With Griffiths finding a bit of form, plus Naismith also being the one in Clarke’s plans just now (I think he will stick with him to start with after the last couple of games), with the remaining striker options being McBurney and one from Phillips, Brophy and Shankland.

Edited by wanderer