Scotland v Israel - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Israel

Shaundy

9 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Me too. More than likely.

You wearing colours?

Are we gonna have hundreds of TA stoating about Oslo and Belgrade, no matter what.

If we are playing then yes .  Being a woman I feel a bit less intimidated. But I wont be stoatin about in Scotland top if its a Serbia/Israel final 😁

We have booked flights and hotel so just making a few days of it no matter what. Totally scunnered by the whole thing but what can you do . Football is way down the pecking order when folk are dying.  

The discussion on Sportsound is usually utter wank during the week but they did have a decent feature on this-

"The science says that large-scale events are not at risk just now and the science in fact says outdoor large-scale events are particularly not at risk. The virus doesn't tend to live long in that environment. There will be a time where we start to change our advice. We may never stop large-scale events. We will follow the science as it tells us what to do."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51824771

The professor they spoke to, there saying that large-scale outdoor events are actually less bad than you might think, given the (relatively) fresh air making it harder for the virus to survive for long. What they aren't taking into account there, though, is the fact that public transport gets much more full with people going to and from and these are obviously enclosed. 

Interestingly, it would likely be a lot safer from a scientific perspective to cancel public transport than to cancel outdoor sports events. 

nothing in the press about the game being closed doors. i'm sure they would have got hold of it by now if this had been decided over the last couple of days. its 2 weeks tomorrow to the game so if it is going to be played behind closed doors you would think they would do so tomorrow rather than allow people to be making plans to be in attendance from all over and call it off last minute

10 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

The discussion on Sportsound is usually utter wank during the week but they did have a decent feature on this-

"The science says that large-scale events are not at risk just now and the science in fact says outdoor large-scale events are particularly not at risk. The virus doesn't tend to live long in that environment. There will be a time where we start to change our advice. We may never stop large-scale events. We will follow the science as it tells us what to do."

The professor they spoke to, there saying that large-scale outdoor events are actually less bad than you might think, given the (relatively) fresh air making it harder for the virus to survive for long. What they aren't taking into account there, though, is the fact that public transport gets much more full with people going to and from and these are obviously enclosed. 

Interestingly, it would likely be a lot safer from a scientific perspective to cancel public transport than to cancel outdoor sports events. 

Good point.   Let's have a march.

8 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

nothing in the press about the game being closed doors. i'm sure they would have got hold of it by now if this had been decided over the last couple of days. its 2 weeks tomorrow to the game so if it is going to be played behind closed doors you would think they would do so tomorrow rather than allow people to be making plans to be in attendance from all over and call it off last minute

Maybe. Hopefully. 

But the issue I suppose is just how fast moving this can be; it really is hard to say with any great confidence what the state of play will be this time next week, or the week after. 

As far as the science is concerned, there's no basis to call the game off or close the doors yet. Key word there, though, is yet. 

It's okay, the SFA have managed to swing it so that the very next game we are set to play, outwith the potential Euros themselves, is at home to Israel. So we will all be offered entry to that in place of entry to the March edition of the same fixture... No refund needed... 

4 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Good point.   Let's have a march.

Haha, cute. 

Obviously public transport is of more import to society than a football game, so one is more suitable to calling off than the other. Nonetheless, scientifically you are more likely to catch the virus on a bus or train than an open air sports event. Apparently.

Just need to see how it goes. 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Where there's a will, there's a way. :ok:

Game won't 100% be behind closed doors, there will be folk there. Just not 50,000.

Might see if I can be a ball boy!

I’m intrigued now.

It’s amazing what you can achieve with a high-vis jacket, or a fake press or security pass, or just confidence, but I would have thought that they’d be extra vigilant to that sort of thing in these circumstances.

37 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I’m not sure how accurate that is, given that so many events in other countries have been cancelled/held ‘behind-closed-doors.’

I suppose, like you say, if that we’re true, it’s the public transport, rather than the event itself that causes the problem. In which case, a bit of a waste of time the professor making the point about outdoor gatherings. Strange one.

19 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I’m not sure how accurate that is, given that so many events in other countries have been cancelled/held ‘behind-closed-doors.’

I suppose, like you say, if that we’re true, it’s the public transport, rather than the event itself that causes the problem. In which case, a bit of a waste of time the professor making the point about outdoor gatherings. Strange one.

I'm pretty sure that guy is the medical advisor to the Scottish parliament? So he probably has his finger on the pulse?

3 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

What about asystematic carriers that can have it for up to two weeks spreading without any symptoms? 

Dunno if this still holds, but last I read (2 days ago?) was that there is no evidence for it being spread by anyone who is not showing symptoms.   No Typhoid Marys hopefully.

20 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

You'd have to check with the quoted Prof, or get a second opinion. Just going with the expert. But I suppose it's not hard to imagine organisations deciding to take an ultra-precautions approach to safeguard themselves even if it goes beyond the science as it currently stands. Also best keeping in mind that, as yet, it is not as severe here as it is in many of those other countries who have taken these steps. 

31 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I'm pretty sure that guy is the medical advisor to the Scottish parliament? So he probably has his finger on the pulse?

Yeah, if he’s an expert, then what he says will be accurate. However, no point saying ‘outdoor events are safe’ if that ignores the fact that the majority of people are using public transport - which isn’t safe - to get there.

19 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Dunno if this still holds, but last I read (2 days ago?) was that there is no evidence for it being spread by anyone who is not showing symptoms.   No Typhoid Marys hopefully.

That's not quite what the studies have said. Based on the data gathered so far, it would appear that asymptomatic transfer is unlikely to be a major driver in the spread this infection. That doesn't mean it can't happen. It just means that there are much more likely ways of you catching it. Like being close to folk who do have symptoms and touching contaminated surfaces. Some corona viruses can survive for up to 9 days on surfaces depending on the conditions. This is a brand new virus never seen in humans before. They are still at the early stages of learning about it.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

That's not quite what the studies have said. Based on the data gathered so far, it would appear that asymptomatic transfer is unlikely to be a major driver in the spread this infection. That doesn't mean it can't happen. It just means that there are much more likely ways of you catching it. Like being close to folk who do have symptoms and touching contaminated surfaces. Some corona viruses can survive for up to 9 days on surfaces depending on the conditions. This is a brand new virus never seen in humans before. They are still at the early stages of learning about it.

We are going off topic, but this is important topic.  I am looking at this, trying to figure out what it means in regards to symptomatic transfer - https://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/view/Johns_Hopkins_ABX_Guide/540747/all/Coronavirus_COVID_19__SARS_CoV_2_