Northern Ireland away - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Northern Ireland away

wanderer

Reports in the Sun that Scotland and Northern Ireland are in talks over a game in Belfast at the end of the season.

Imagine it’s one of many offers the SFA have for May/June, but first talk of any kind of friendly involving us.

Hopefully it doesn't happen at all.

Happy to meet NI in a competitive fixture, but otherwise never and certainly not in Belfast. The behaviour of many of the attendees at the last attempt at Hampden in 2012 (?? - McGregor gave away a penalty and Kevin Thomson was subbed at HT) was a disgrace.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Hopefully it doesn't happen at all.

Happy to meet NI in a competitive fixture, but otherwise never and certainly not in Belfast. The behaviour of many of the attendees at the last attempt at Hampden in 2012 (?? - McGregor gave away a penalty and Kevin Thomson was subbed at HT) was a disgrace.

No sure I'm following, you mean the Ni or Scotland fans or some players?

1 hour ago, JECK said:

No sure I'm following, you mean the Ni or Scotland fans or some players?

Sadly it'd bring out worst of sections of both supports.

Really should steer clear of a friendly given the political situation in both countries.

Obviously you can't do anything about a competitive match but there's no sense in tempting fate for very little benefit. 

9 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Am sure was full international friendly

maybe 15 yrs back ?

There has been loads of stories like that over the years, and some a lot more extreme.

I once chatted to someone who booked up for the 2001 Copa America based on a Stupid story going around a Latvia v Scotland game that we were going to be the “invited” team.... also had a large group of TA who booked up for a Finland v Scotland match around 2002ish that FIFA had on their fixtures list for months (but not a single mention of it by the SFA or in the press).... also think some people booked up for Egypt around same time, but that game was a case of letting the ink dry on the contracts, but then 9/11 happened and the game was scrapped.

Only one in recent years I can recall was a Malta v Scotland match that was suppose to happen before Croatia in 2013, but again that was a case of some of the SFA staff running their mouths off at an away game, then Levein was sacked and Strachan binned the idea.

On 3/9/2020 at 8:57 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Recall about 10 yrs back a bunch of folk on this board booked up flights & accom based upon a rumour of a game there ; that never transpired (for thosedates ) 

believe they went anyway ?

Was 2005, rumoured that it would be Walter Smith's first game in charge. The u21's played but not the full team (Maloney scored the opening goal in a 2-1 loss). A Gretna player was called up for NI so Mileson paid for all of the Gretna backroom staff to attend the game.

13 hours ago, Davied14 said:

Was 2005, rumoured that it would be Walter Smith's first game in charge. The u21's played but not the full team (Maloney scored the opening goal in a 2-1 loss). A Gretna player was called up for NI so Mileson paid for all of the Gretna backroom staff to attend the game.

thanks for that ; i knew it had happened , but could nt mind the date - jings 15 yrs back......

On 10 March 2020 at 7:52 AM, wanderer said:

There has been loads of stories like that over the years, and some a lot more extreme.

I once chatted to someone who booked up for the 2001 Copa America based on a Stupid story going around a Latvia v Scotland game that we were going to be the “invited” team.... also had a large group of TA who booked up for a Finland v Scotland match around 2002ish that FIFA had on their fixtures list for months (but not a single mention of it by the SFA or in the press).... also think some people booked up for Egypt around same time, but that game was a case of letting the ink dry on the contracts, but then 9/11 happened and the game was scrapped.

Only one in recent years I can recall was a Malta v Scotland match that was suppose to happen before Croatia in 2013, but again that was a case of some of the SFA staff running their mouths off at an away game, then Levein was sacked and Strachan binned the idea.

Without going into the realms of being a grass, there's a certain element of karma to those first two. 

The Egypt one also reminds me of a future mod on here looking into the overnight ferry from Malta to Egypt due to a post on the old Topica mailing list where someone said Graeme McPherson had been going on about it.  

Edited by aaid