Billy Gilmour - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Squirrelhumper

9 minutes ago, andyD said:

Crazy to think that there's zero communication between the u21s call ups and the senior side. It's a simple, 1 minute phone call.

So we should assume at this point that Gilmour is not in the senior side. Which is an equally crazy situation. Good enough for Premier League top 4, champions league and MotM against Liverpool, but Clarke doesn't think he's ready. Great. Can we have Levein back? Clarke is making him look good.

A lot of assumptions in there.  Let's wait and see whether or not he's named in the full squad first.  If he's not then questions have got to be asked.  The last thing we want is back to the "I've got to stick with the tried and tested" days.

16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

That would be classic sfa if a decision hasnt been made. How difficult is it? Clarke picks up his phone, calls gemmil

Aye aye Scott, how ye doin? Ill be taking Billy for the israel match and if we win, he will coming to norway or serbia. 

The end

We did the same with Souttar last year. Called him up for the 21s then the first team the following week.

9 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We did the same with Souttar last year. Called him up for the 21s then the first team the following week.

Lets hope its the same with gilmour. It seems very stupid to do it this way

If he isn't named in the U21s, the media (and us) automatically assume he will be in the full squad. That gives the media another week to pester and annoy him. I'm sure that's something he could do without at this stage.

If he isn't in the full squad then Clarke is a twat. McLeish would have picked him.

Edited by Orraloon

Just now, Orraloon said:

If he isn't named in the U21s, the media (and us) automatically assume he will be in the full squad. That gives the media another week to pester and annoy him. I'm that's something he could do without at this stage.

If he isn't in the full squad then Clarke is a twat. McLeish would have picked 

He will be surrounded by media attention anyway because hes playing in the most watched league in the world. That will increase if he starts against villa. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Why the hell not?!

Pick players in form, this is Scotland we're talking about.  There's plenty of other players coming back from injury or not getting a game with their clubs we can pick instead.

Apart from Tierney, when was the last time we had a teenager in the squad? We never do it, the SFA are sticklers for following the old serve your under 21 time and then move upto the first team, they've always done it, completely risk averse.

If Messi was Scottish he'd have made his senior debut at 23.

6 minutes ago, Mox said:

Apart from Tierney, when was the last time we had a teenager in the squad? We never do it, the SFA are sticklers for following the old serve your under 21 time and then move upto the first team, they've always done it, completely risk averse.

If Messi was Scottish he'd have made his senior debut at 23.

Strachan called a few up IIRC.  Oli Burke was 18 when he was first called up.   

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Strachan called a few up IIRC.  Oli Burke was 18 when he was first called up.   

That probably had a bit to do with England sniffing about him   He definitely wasn't good enough when he was called up as has been shown to be the case  

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

That probably had a bit to do with England sniffing about him   He definitely wasn't good enough when he was called up as has been shown to be the case 

He had a great start to his career in the Championship to be fair, was going past people and scoring for fun. Things only derailed a bit after his Leipzig move. He hasn't really had regular starts anywhere since, even at Celtic he never got more than 3 starts in a row and he was out of position there to boot.

22 minutes ago, andyD said:

He had a great start to his career in the Championship to be fair, was going past people and scoring for fun. Things only derailed a bit after his Leipzig move. He hasn't really had regular starts anywhere since, even at Celtic he never got more than 3 starts in a row and he was out of position there to boot.

Which effectively is my point.   There's a reason why he hasn't had regular starts.  He's got some great physical attributes, pace and power but seems to lack basic technique and game intelligence.  

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

Which effectively is my point.   There's a reason why he hasn't had regular starts.  He's got some great physical attributes, pace and power but seems to lack basic technique and game intelligence.  

And lacks work ethic the times I have seen him. If he loses the ball he does not think to work to get the ball back.

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

He's not that bad technique-wise. He's just much better running at people than stationary with the ball at his feet. He's a wide forward, not a center forward. When he plays up front he doesn't really look like he knows where he should be and what he should be doing. Understandable as he's 22, hasn't had masses of game time and was just kinda thrown up there by Lennon and expected to perform. Out wide he looks better and has more of an idea of his role. Fortunately he's playing wide in La Liga, so he should get better at it.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And lacks work ethic the times I have seen him. If he loses the ball he does not think to work to get the ball back.

Haven't seen much of him in La Liga this season, and he's only really played up front for Celtic in recent years (benched at Leipzig and West Brom), and I don't think he knows what is expected of him as a center forward. He's not experience playing there, didnt seem to be getting much instruction from Lennon and had no senior forward to learn from (it was Weah and Edouard, who are both young. Griffiths was away at the time).

Spain seems to be doing him good tho:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/nov/29/oliver-burke-i-feel-like-a-proper-footballer-again-really-good-in-myself

Just now, andyD said:

He's not that bad technique-wise. He's just much better running at people than stationary with the ball at his feet. He's a wide forward, not a center forward. When he plays up front he doesn't really look like he knows where he should be and what he should be doing. Understandable as he's 22, hasn't had masses of game time and was just kinda thrown up there by Lennon and expected to perform. Out wide he looks better and has more of an idea of his role. Fortunately he's playing wide in La Liga, so he should get better at it.

Haven't seen much of him in La Liga this season, and he's only really played up front for Celtic in recent years (benched at Leipzig and West Brom), and I don't think he knows what is expected of him as a center forward. He's not experience playing there, didnt seem to be getting much instruction from Lennon and had no senior forward to learn from (it was Weah and Edouard, who are both young. Griffiths was away at the time).

Spain seems to be doing him good tho:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/nov/29/oliver-burke-i-feel-like-a-proper-footballer-again-really-good-in-myself

I do hope it works out for him. Hopefully, he comes across a coach that can push him in the right direction and improve his all-round game as he does have some handy strengths.