Billy Gilmour - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Squirrelhumper

I think the lad has earned a call up but it is a bit premature to expect him to start. He plays holding midfield so do Mctominay he Mclean both of whom are playing in the EPL and are more experienced than Gilmour. The lad has a very bright future in front of him but I don't think we should put the pressure of playing for his country in a must win game on his young shoulders. Especially as a mistake in his playing position can cost the game. Bring him in to the squad and let him know he is part of the set up but also protect him especially from the over critical Hampden crowd. I think we will be comfortable against Israel so a little cameo near the end would be good.

2 hours ago, Mox said:

Apart from Tierney, when was the last time we had a teenager in the squad? We never do it, the SFA are sticklers for following the old serve your under 21 time and then move upto the first team, they've always done it, completely risk averse.

If Messi was Scottish he'd have made his senior debut at 23.

Yup. Scotland are shitebags when it comes to chucking in young raw talent. Pretty much every other country does it. We think a guy getting a cap at 21 or 22 is ‘young’. Pathetic.

I was really hoping Steve Clarke would buck this ridiculous archaic unofficial policy and show some balls. Still time.

I can remember the last time we took a chance with a young player that had a glowing reputation who had played a handful of first team games. fletcher  in the squad for the lithuania game who came on to score the winner! 

gilmour has already made more of a mark on the premiership than fletcher had at that time 

2 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

I can remember the last time we took a chance with a young player that had a glowing reputation who had played a handful of first team games. fletcher  in the squad for the lithuania game who came on to score the winner! 

gilmour has already made more of a mark on the premiership than fletcher had at that time 

Took a bigger chance with Burke.

3 hours ago, hoofitharder said:

I think the lad has earned a call up but it is a bit premature to expect him to start. He plays holding midfield so do Mctominay he Mclean both of whom are playing in the EPL and are more experienced than Gilmour. The lad has a very bright future in front of him but I don't think we should put the pressure of playing for his country in a must win game on his young shoulders. Especially as a mistake in his playing position can cost the game. Bring him in to the squad and let him know he is part of the set up but also protect him especially from the over critical Hampden crowd. I think we will be comfortable against Israel so a little cameo near the end would be good.

He plays anywhere in midfield.

Did you see the Everton game? He got stuck up to attacking mid last 20 and played very well. 

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

That would be classic sfa if a decision hasnt been made. How difficult is it? Clarke picks up his phone, calls gemmil

Aye aye Scott, how ye doin? Ill be taking Billy for the israel match and if we win, he will coming to norway or serbia. 

The end

Maybe Clarke wants to wait until after the weekend’s matches to finalise his squad? Why does he need to decide right now?

24 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He plays anywhere in midfield.

Did you see the Everton game? He got stuck up to attacking mid last 20 and played very well. 

I noticed that too but the  the game was over by then. Perhaps they just wanted to let him  get a sight of the goal.

Probably like most technically good players he could play any were in the midfield,

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Maybe Clarke wants to wait until after the weekend’s matches to finalise his squad? Why does he need to decide right now?

Clarke will know his squad. Picking gilmour for the under 21s only causes confusion. No need to fuck around. Pick him or dont

29 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Clarke will know his squad. Picking gilmour for the under 21s only causes confusion. No need to fuck around. Pick him or dont

How on Earth do you know this?

I would imagine Clarke might want to watch Gilmour again before making his final decision. Nothing wrong with that. 

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

The general pronunciation of his name in the media has been bothering me. Is Gil-more correct? Where I grew up, anyone with the surname Gilmour would have had it pronounced more like Gil-mur with the last vowel sound being very clipped and not drawn out like ‘more’. ???

Gil-mur.

49 minutes ago, belfast billy said:

I was thinking the same thing if he has grandparents say from some other country who could come in and gazzump us . Still remember the James McCarthy situation where we didn’t bother giving him a full cap

McCarthy was nowhere near full cap level.  I think the problem was that he wasn't getting picked for the lower age groups as the coaches at the time felt we had better players elsewhere and the RoI then pounced.  As it turns out he's been no great loss.

As for Billy Gilmour - never mind capping him, we need to get him into a breeding program with Erin Cuthbert.

7 minutes ago, daviebee said:

McCarthy was nowhere near full cap level.  I think the problem was that he wasn't getting picked for the lower age groups as the coaches at the time felt we had better players elsewhere and the RoI then pounced.  As it turns out he's been no great loss.

As for Billy Gilmour - never mind capping him, we need to get him into a breeding program with Erin Cuthbert.

Both Gilmour and Cuthbert were born in Irvine Central!

Wiki somehow says Glasgow for Gilmour but his full family are from Saltcoats/Ardrossan and the Chelsea website has him down as Irvine.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/03/09/all-you-need-to-know-about-billy-gilmour

Presumably the squad won't be announced until Tuesday or Wednesday. Absolutely no harm in waiting to see how folk get on this weekend. Players have been named in under 21s squads then promoted to the main squad before, so there's no reason that his inclusion in Under 21 squad initially precludes him from being named in the senior squad next week. 

We shall but see. Hopefully he is included. 

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Both Gilmour and Cuthbert were born in Irvine Central!

Wiki somehow says Glasgow for Gilmour but his full family are from Saltcoats/Ardrossan and the Chelsea website has him down as Irvine.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/03/09/all-you-need-to-know-about-billy-gilmour

So they might be cousins then?  Oh well, good idea but webbed-foot fitba players...

38 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Presumably the squad won't be announced until Tuesday or Wednesday. Absolutely no harm in waiting to see how folk get on this weekend. Players have been named in under 21s squads then promoted to the main squad before, so there's no reason that his inclusion in Under 21 squad initially precludes him from being named in the senior squad next week. 

We shall but see. Hopefully he is included. 

Omitting him from the U21 squad would be early confirmation that he would be in the full squad. Clarke probably wants to wait until his press conference on Tuesday to announce Gimour's call up (assuming he does select him) rather than everyone finding out because he is not in the U21 squad.

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Omitting him from the U21 squad would be early confirmation that he would be in the full squad. Clarke probably wants to wait until his press conference on Tuesday to announce Gimour's call up (assuming he does select him) rather than everyone finding out because he is not in the U21 squad.

Aye, exactly. It becomes a foregone conclusion if he isn't included in that and they'd maybe rather keep the announcement to themselves. 

There is nothing about his being included in this unders squad that means he cannot also be named by Clarke in the senior one. 

5 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

The general pronunciation of his name in the media has been bothering me. Is Gil-more correct? Where I grew up, anyone with the surname Gilmour would have had it pronounced more like Gil-mur with the last vowel sound being very clipped and not drawn out like ‘more’. ???

Particularly in Gil-mur Street.