Billy Gilmour - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Squirrelhumper

PEP GUARDIOLA is "infatuated" with Chelsea wonderkid Billy Gilmour and is desperate to bring him to Manchester City, according to reports.

The former Rangers youngster impressed with his poised, all-action performance for the Blues against Liverpool on Tuesday night at Stamford Bridge.

Gilmour even picked up the man-of-the-match award against the Premier League's runaway leaders, on what was only the sixth senior appearance of his professional career.

The Scotland kid has also attracted interest from the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona, but according to El Desmarque, it is Guardiola that wants to seal his signature "as soon as possible."

Frank Lampard spoke glowingly of the Scot after Tuesday's match, saying: "I have absolute trust in Billy.

"I remember when he first came on against Sheffield United and we drew the game, people questioned this kid, but I have no problem with him.

"If he’s small in stature he’s huge in personality, and he’s also huge in talent. When I look at a midfield player I have lots of questions.

"Do you want to receive the ball in all positions and all moments? Yes, he does. Do you want to make angles and pick the right pass? Yes, he generally does. Will you put your foot in? Yes, he does."

Gilmour, who has been on the radar of youth football experts for a number of years, was recruited by the West Londoners from Gers back in 2017.

The Blues were subsequently slapped with a transfer ban by Fifa after being found guilty of "at least 29 breaches" of regulations regarding the signing of minors.

Gilmour was one of the deals in question, but had fans purring with his mature performance against the Reds.

The Ayrshire teenager made his debut in August against Sheffield United in the Premier League, and has also featured against Grimsby, Manchester United, Crystal Palace and Hull City.

He could be in line for a first senior international call-up later this month, but first he'll be hoping for more action for Chelsea - having moved from the academy to first-team building full-time of late.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I know it's paper talk - it's good seeing Scottish players with this type of talk though.

Watch this is you have a couple of mins.

When I said ‘paper talk,’ I meant is it not just a completely made up story, with no evidence behind it?

Where did you get it from and where did they get it from?

17 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

When I said ‘paper talk,’ I meant is it not just a completely made up story, with no evidence behind it?

Where did you get it from and where did they get it from?

Given the article states where they got the information from, then I thought you would be able to join the dots.

42 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Given the article states where they got the information from, then I thought you would be able to join the dots.

El Desmarque? I assume that’s a Spanish newspaper or something? I tried googling it and got a load of Spanish results.

And where is your article from? Because you’ve just written it without stating any source, as if you wrote it yourself.

(Sorry if it already says the source and I didn’t spot it, I can’t see it anywhere though.)

36 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

El Desmarque? I assume that’s a Spanish newspaper or something? I tried googling it and got a load of Spanish results.

And where is your article from? Because you’ve just written it without stating any source, as if you wrote it yourself.

(Sorry if it already says the source and I didn’t spot it, I can’t see it anywhere though.)

FFS are you wanting it fucking peer reviewed or what? It's a diddy fitba forum not a fucking dissertation. (Although I share your general concern regarding grammar, punctuation and spelling). Not from SH btw; he had familial encouragement I would wager.

3 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

FFS are you wanting it fucking peer reviewed or what? It's a diddy fitba forum not a fucking dissertation. (Although I share your general concern regarding grammar, punctuation and spelling). Not from SH btw; he had familial encouragement I would wager.

I was just interested as to the source of the article, because it looks to be 100% fictional.

A quick bit of research would suggest it’s just one paper quoting another, and there’s no actual evidence behind the story in any of them.

The initial post itself looks to be a copy of an article in The Sun. Must be a quiet news day and a quiet day on the forum.

15 hours ago, dohadeer said:

A quick bit of research would suggest it’s just one paper quoting another, and there’s no actual evidence behind the story in any of them.

The initial post itself looks to be a copy of an article in The Sun. Must be a quiet news day and a quiet day on the forum.

It's better than the inane shite you post on here to be fair.

Watching this lad recently has given me the belief he genuinely has the ability and character to transform the way we as a country currently play football. If ever there was a massive shining example that the performance schools are starting to work then it is this young lad. Everyone knows the Scotland youth sides have slowly but surely began to implement a more creative passing game at at that level playing through the lines, and this kid might just be the one to finally bring that style straight to the full team. I swear this kid must have a Spanish granny or something because he looks like he's come straight from La Masia at Barcelona. Everything he does is pure quality, and it is not just the average fan raving about him here it is some of the best midfielders in recent times to have played the game. Roy Keane, Frank Lampard praisi g him to high heavens. We have had our fingers burned with young lads in the past who have been built up and spectacularly failed but I don't think we have ever seen a kid like this from Scotland certainly not in modern times. He has backed it up in these two games, he is more than ready now and it is going to be exciting watching him play and the way our country starts playing football. I honestly think he has the potential to be that good. 

27 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

he genuinely has the ability and character to transform the way we as a country currently play football.

Might be a wee bit overboard, but the fact that in Gilmour and McTominay, we have two young center mids with awareness, workrate and ability on the ball.. that's very encouraging, given how all over the place our central midfield has been for a long while now.

Add McGinn ahead of them, and Christie and Fraser either side, and it's a solid line up. Griffiths being back up top is great too.

Our first 11 is looking decent, and young.

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Am just waiting on how long it takes before he starts getting criticised like Robertson and Fletcher, "how come he can play brilliant for his club but is shite in a Scotland shirt" etc 

Glad you have something to look forward to.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Might be a wee bit overboard, but the fact that in Gilmour and McTominay, we have two young center mids with awareness, workrate and ability on the ball.. that's very encouraging, given how all over the place our central midfield has been for a long while now.

Add McGinn ahead of them, and Christie and Fraser either side, and it's a solid line up. Griffiths being back up top is great too.

Our first 11 is looking decent, and young.

I actually tried my hardest not to go overboard but my reaction to watching him v Liverpool was exactly the same as Roy Keanes, everything he did just had class written all over it. I know he is still very very young, but that just makes his performances all the more impressive. To completely control games in the  FA cup and Premier League against real good sides in Liverpool and Everton, bearing in mind his small stature, against seasoned Premier League players is hugely impressive

5 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

I actually tried my hardest not to go overboard but my reaction to watching him v Liverpool was exactly the same as Roy Keanes, everything he did just had class written all over it. I know he is still very very young, but that just makes his performances all the more impressive. To completely control games in the  FA cup and Premier League against real good sides in Liverpool and Everton, bearing in mind his small stature, against seasoned Premier League players is hugely impressive

Agreed. But there is a difference between having and showing talent and playing to that standard every week, season after season. Over the years we've produced some decent prospects, but it seems somewhere along the way their heads have got in the way of their feet. Either thinking they've arrived, or losing the drive that made them excel in the first place.

So we can agree he's got fantastic talent. And the early signs about his mentaliy are good. But right now everything's great. He's getting accolades from ex-pros and the fans are loving everything he does. But he's going to have bad days and he's going to be criticised at some point. How he deals with those times are probably what will be the making or breaking of him.