FlyBe - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 hours ago, dohadeer said:

(I may add that I’m quite an environmentalist, so I’m happy to see any airline go bust, particularly one that operates so many domestic flights, but in this case my grudge with Flybe was over a different issue.)

You have used them so many times but you're an environmentalist?

Gies peace.

16 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Good riddance. Absolute shambles of a company, I have wasted so many hours/days of my life due to their planes being delayed, and the (lack of) response from their staff each time was appalling.

I’m sure that I made more money from them, than they did from me, because of the number of times their flights were delayed, and they were required to pay out the €250 standard compensation each time.

Thats a ridiculous viewpoint.

You haven't used them enough to form a viewpoint, so your post is utterly pointless, you clearly have a misinformed vendetta against them.

I know a few of their pilots, say the airline puts in an absolute shower of work behind the scenes, the stuff that normal punters don't see.

44 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I used to fly, but I gave up last year, when I realised just how bad flying is for the environment.

Since FlyBE tend to use turboprop planes rather than jets on their routes surely their better for the environment - or at least not as bad - as other carriers.   

Be interesting to see comparisons against other forms of transport.

36 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Thats a ridiculous viewpoint.

You haven't used them enough to form a viewpoint, so your post is utterly pointless, you clearly have a misinformed vendetta against them.

I know a few of their pilots, say the airline puts in an absolute shower of work behind the scenes, the stuff that normal punters don't see.

How do you mean that I haven’t used them enough to form a viewpoint?

13 minutes ago, aaid said:

Since FlyBE tend to use turboprop planes rather than jets on their routes surely their better for the environment - or at least not as bad - as other carriers.   

Be interesting to see comparisons against other forms of transport.

I mean, possibly, but still hugely polluting, surely?

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

You're the environmentalist, you tell me if it is or not.

Well, yes, it is still hugely polluting.

I believe that we’re decades and decades away from any kind of carbon-neutral flying being developed, that could transfer a significant number of passengers over any significant distance.

4 hours ago, dohadeer said:

I think we all have companies that have treated us badly over the years, that we have grudges against though, and would be happy to see go under? If you don’t, then you’ve led a lucky life. I’m not judging them on one incident, but in my experience, on multiple occasions, they showed themselves to be solely interested in money, and with no interest in the customers whatsoever. 

Obviously, I haven’t dealt with each of the 2000 staff, but I had a lot of poor customer service while with Flybe over the years. I’m not celebrating 2000 people losing their jobs, I’m celebrating a company that I witnessed treating me and other customers really badly on lots of occasions, now going bust, as that in some ways shows that they didn’t know how to run a business after all.

(I may add that I’m quite an environmentalist, so I’m happy to see any airline go bust, particularly one that operates so many domestic flights, but in this case my grudge with Flybe was over a different issue.)

Be honest. You didn't like their 4-3-3 seating formation did you ? 🙂

2 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Well, yes, it is still hugely polluting.

I believe that we’re decades and decades away from any kind of carbon-neutral flying being developed, that could transfer a significant number of passengers over any significant distance.

I was kind of hoping you'd back that up with some form of data, you know like transporting a similar number of people over a similar distance by various different modes of transport, that sort of stuff.

Still, if you say so...

4 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Pretentious twaddle. You cited Greta Thunberg earlier, who has been on the scene for 3 years max, so you being quite an environmentalist has been you jumping on the bandwagon like everybody else. That itself isn't a negative per se, every little helps and all that.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

1 hour ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Pretentious twaddle. You cited Greta Thunberg earlier, who has been on the scene for 3 years max, so you being quite an environmentalist has been you jumping on the bandwagon like everybody else. That itself isn't a negative per se, every little helps and all that.

By quite an environmentalist I meant that I try to make choices which benefit the environment. I’m not a chain-myself-to-a-building and get-myself-arrested level of environmentalist.

You’re right, I think it was only 18 months ago when Greta Thunberg made her first school strike for climate change, remarkable what she’s achieved in that time in raising awareness. I ‘jumped on the bandwagon’ in terms of giving up flying, due to her influence. However, I’d given up meat and driving a car long before that.

As you say, as bandwagons go, it’s certainly not one that I’m ashamed of jumping on!

1 hour ago, aaid said:

He's not the three at the back guy, Scott McTominay's dad is he?

No, I don’t know who that is, but not me!

I think that three-at-the-back should be left in 1996 where it belongs. France and Zidane’s 4-2-3-1 killed the back three stone dead.

Edited by dohadeer

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I was kind of hoping you'd back that up with some form of data, you know like transporting a similar number of people over a similar distance by various different modes of transport, that sort of stuff.

Still, if you say so...

I can search for statistics if you like, but I thought that it was fairly well-known/widely accepted how horrific flying is for the environment? Particularly domestic flights which require such a large amount of energy for a relatively short distance.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Loganair taking over 16 of their routes.

Including the SOU-GLA route - i.e. the most important one 👍

Their website is already updated with all the Southampton news, details and flights; so, I've just booked up for the October Hampden double-header.

The only negative; they aren't starting the SOU-GLA route until 30th March......... 4 days after the Israel play-off 😞

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Loganair taking over 16 of their routes.

That's an interesting development, surely must be a good thing to have these links from Scotland to her neighbours run by a Scottish firm.

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I live between london and southampton. Can you get a train to london and fly from there?

This is a disaster for southampton. I used to fly there for work quite alot using flybe. 

I'll have to I suppose, but it is complicated by the Norway/Serbia trip.

I booked SOU-GLA with FlyBE; up on matchday morning (Thursday) and back down on Sunday afternoon.

With the intention of going home and packing for Norway/Serbia (and packing accordingly i.e. will it be a Scotland away trip or not).

Then up to Gatwick in the early hours of Monday morning to fly to Belgrade via Oslo.

The thing is, I can only take hand luggage on the Belgrade via Oslo flight in case we play Norway (in which case, I'll just leave the airport in Oslo and scrap the onward leg).

Now, I'm going to have to go to London, fly to Glasgow, fly back to London, get back to Southampton to pack accordingly, then go back up to London to fly to Oslo or Serbia.

That or I stash a 2nd bag at the left-luggage at LGW, book a hotel at the airport (expensive) and then leave one of the two bags at the left-luggage until I return from Oslo or Belgrade.

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

I'll have to I suppose, but it is complicated by the Norway/Serbia trip.

I booked SOU-GLA with FlyBE; up on matchday morning (Thursday) and back down on Sunday afternoon.

With the intention of going home and packing for Norway/Serbia (and packing accordingly i.e. will it be a Scotland away trip or not).

Then up to Gatwick in the early hours of Monday morning to fly to Belgrade via Oslo.

The thing is, I can only take hand luggage on the Belgrade via Oslo flight in case we play Norway (in which case, I'll just leave the airport in Oslo and scrap the onward leg).

Now, I'm going to have to go to London, fly to Glasgow, fly back to London, get back to Southampton to pack accordingly, then go back up to London to fly to Oslo or Serbia.

That or I stash a 2nd bag at the left-luggage at LGW, book a hotel at the airport (expensive) and then leave one of the two bags at the left-luggage until I return from Oslo or Belgrade.

About those redundancies though...........

28 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

About those redundancies though...........

Terrible news for the majority of FlyBE staff. Obviously.

I haven't criticised FlyBE or their employees and I haven't expressed any pleasure at their collapse, so I'm not sure what your point is.

My seeming lack of of perspective?

Edited by Rich NATA
Map.

23 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Terrible news for the majority of FlyBE staff. Obviously.

I haven't criticised FlyBE or their employees and I haven't expressed any pleasure at their collapse, so I'm not sure what your point is.

My seeming lack of of perspective?

I suppose it depends if we are using message boards to react as if to a friend in the pub, or as if shadow minister for the the interior. Or both.