Should we try to get Relegated? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should we try to get Relegated?

jimbers

With the Nations League not really being a back up route to the World Cup but it being a back up route to the Euros would it not make more common sense to get Relegated in this years Nations League so we can get an easier league in the next one meaning we have a better chance of making the Play offs?

We should always try to win, but would accept some experimentation this round.

Re. WC seeding, yes all full internationals recognised by FIFA count for FIFA ranking, and hence WC pots.

I'm going to argue with myself on my first point partly now.   Our Nations League position will be our UEFA ranking for the next Euro Qualifiers.

Hahaha, and this is exactly the reason why creating playoff routes exclusively for lower leagues doesn’t work - it risks sporting integrity being lost, ie it has the potential for teams to deliberately lose, as that may be more beneficial.

NO, we shouldn’t try to get relegated - how would you even do that anyway - and shame on you for suggesting that.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think there are two WC playoff spots up for grabs in the next Nations League.

IMO, we should be trying to win every game we play in, otherwise what is the point in taking part?

Yes, but we cannot get either of them - only teams in League A can.

As it hasn't been confirmed how the Euro 2024 qualification will be done yet.  However, I expect it will be the same except there won't be a place for the League D teams as their place will go to the host, Germany.  

Getting relegated would also likely be damaging to our WC 2022 chances.  But realistically, we're going to struggle anyway.  We simply aren't nearly one of the top 13 sides in UEFA. 

It's probably fair to say that we either want to win our group or finish last.  

2 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Hahaha, and this is exactly the reason why creating playoff routes exclusively for lower leagues doesn’t work - it risks sporting integrity being lost, ie it has the potential for teams to deliberately lose, as that may be more beneficial.

NO, we shouldn’t try to get relegated - how would you even do that anyway - and shame on you for suggesting that.

One way to do it would be to play a bunch of our younger players.

Fill the squad with players like McCrorie, G.Johnson, Campbell, McIntyre, Gilmour, Turnbull, M.Johnston, Middleton, Hornby whilst keeping the younger players already in the squad - Tierney, Taylor,  McTominay, Burke, McBurnie, Brophy - making it an under 25's team or something.  

We would be more of a developmental squad but would likely struggle against sides like Turkey, Romania and Austria.  

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

As it hasn't been confirmed how the Euro 2024 qualification will be done yet.  However, I expect it will be the same except there won't be a place for the League D teams as their place will go to the host, Germany.  

Getting relegated would also likely be damaging to our WC 2022 chances.  But realistically, we're going to struggle anyway.  We simply aren't nearly one of the top 13 sides in UEFA. 

It's probably fair to say that we either want to win our group or finish last.  

That’s incorrect about playoff spots.

UEFA are giving them to the two highest-placed GROUP WINNERS in the Nations League, who haven’t already qualified or secured a playoff place.

So we can get a playoff spot for the World Cup through the Nations League.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

I don't think that's necessarily correct. League B teams could get a Nations League playoff spot.

10 WC qualifying group winners qualify automatically. 10 runners up go into the playoffs. There is every chance that all 16 League A teams will be in that group of 20, so that both Nations League playoff spots go down to League B teams. Maybe teams like Iceland and/or Bosnia might need to use there Nations League play off route but we won't know that until long after the Nations League groups are finished.

We should trying our hardest to be the best ranked League B team. Partly because it gets us into League A for next time round and probably a guaranteed playoff spot for Euro 2024. Maybe a WC 2022 playoff spot? But most importantly it would mean that we had improved dramatically as a team. We definitely won't improve if we don't even try to.

59 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think that's necessarily correct. League B teams could get a Nations League playoff spot.

10 WC qualifying group winners qualify automatically. 10 runners up go into the playoffs. There is every chance that all 16 League A teams will be in that group of 20, so that both Nations League playoff spots go down to League B teams. Maybe teams like Iceland and/or Bosnia might need to use there Nations League play off route but we won't know that until long after the Nations League groups are finished.

We should trying our hardest to be the best ranked League B team. Partly because it gets us into League A for next time round and probably a guaranteed playoff spot for Euro 2024. Maybe a WC 2022 playoff spot? But most importantly it would mean that we had improved dramatically as a team. We definitely won't improve if we don't even try to.

You are indeed correct and I'd confused myself.  Thanks for that :ok: 

58 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Here is where I probably got my info from.   That web page is up for grabs if any stato wants to take it over.

I think they use the "National Team Coefficient" which is different from the "Nations League Rankings"

Just now, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

How about if in a similar situation to england v holland at euro 96....where boot was on the other foot

I don't dislike England enough to want Scotland to lose  to stop them qualifying.

Club football is different though, wasn't overly fussed when Aberdeen and Hearts beat Celtic to get second place ahead if the huns.

We should be aiming to get promoted into League A. If we do that we would potentially be a pot 2 team for the next Euro qualifiers and pot 3 at worst. We would also be almost guaranteed a playoff  for Euro 2024. 

Gettting a playoff from League C this time hasn’t exactly given us that easy a path to the finals anyway. 

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

We should be aiming to get promoted into League A. If we do that we would potentially be a pot 2 team for the next Euro qualifiers and pot 3 at worst. We would also be almost guaranteed a playoff  for Euro 2024. 

Gettting a playoff from League C this time hasn’t exactly given us that easy a path to the finals anyway. 

It hasn't but the format has changed a bit since the last time.

If we did go down into League C, we'd be likely up against the other teams that get relegated from B this time (Northern Ireland, Hungary and Bulgaria maybe).  

7 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

It hasn't but the format has changed a bit since the last time.

If we did go down into League C, we'd be likely up against the other teams that get relegated from B this time (Northern Ireland, Hungary and Bulgaria maybe).  

The format has changed and we would also be up against the teams that get promoted from League D but there would be no guarantee of winning our group. I guess the League C playoffs should be easier next time but I would rather stay in League B or get promoted to A.

If we get relegated then so be it but we shouldn’t be trying to achieve it.