UEFA nations league 20/21 - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

UEFA nations league 20/21

Terry Munro

26 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Well you just brought the discussion back on-point way to go. Some of the squabbles on here are amusing to read , usually when news is lean.  I like the Nations League, I thought it was a good idea to make international dates meaningful.  I would like to see B internationals brought back so we try other formations and players.  

I would much prefer under 23's than B internationals

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I would much prefer under 23's than B internationals

I think it needs something because it's suddenly become quite difficult to give new players a chance without putting them into a meaningful match.

11 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

Had a wee read at the article on the BBC website regarding this. How does the #1 ranked team by fifa end up in pot B for the top group? 

The pot 1 teams are presumably the four teams who reached the Nations League finals last time around?

14 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

Really? Which of those four teams would beat Belgium?!

I don’t personally think that any of them are better than Belgium - in fact, I don’t think that any international team is better than Belgium. I’m just explaining how the seeding system works.

1 hour ago, sjd1972 said:

Group of death - Russia Scotland Turkey Romania. 

Group of life - Wales Scotland N.Ireland Bulgaria. 

I’m always amazed at how little respect our fans seem to give to the standard of Northern Ireland and Wales!

1 hour ago, dohadeer said:

I’m always amazed at how little respect our fans seem to give to the standard of Northern Ireland and Wales!

Not disrespecting them, just saying that they are a less difficult prospect than playing Russia and Turkey.

9 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

Really? Which of those four teams would beat Belgium?!

Nations League (like the Euros) was based on UEFA co-efficient, not the FIFA world ranks, and your placing in that determined your placing in the next tournament (Belgium and Switzerland basically fished neck and neck in their group last time, but because Switzerland hammered Iceland, they had the better goal difference and progressed to the final, and making them a top seed for the next tournament) 

Edited by wanderer

6 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

Not disrespecting them, just saying that they are a less difficult prospect than playing Russia and Turkey.

I think that you were implying that Wales and Northern Ireland were the easiest teams in their respective pots?!

55 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Nations League (like the Euros) was based on UEFA co-efficient, not the FIFA world ranks, and your placing in that determined your placing in the next tournament (Belgium and Switzerland basically fished neck and neck in their group last time, but because Switzerland hammered Iceland, they had the better goal difference and progressed to the final, and making them a top seed for the next tournament) 

I could be wrong here but I think the Nations League pots are determined by the Nations League Ranking and not UEFA coefficient which is a different thing?

28 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I think that you were implying that Wales and Northern Ireland were the easiest teams in their respective pots?!

To be fair, I think he's probably right about that. 

Russia and Austria are better than Wales, for my money, so a toss up between them and Czechs for weakest in that pot. I'd fancy Czech Republic to beat Wales more often than not. 

Slovakia and Turkey are better than NI, so a toss up between the two Irelands for weakest in that pot. They are much of a muchness but NI will likely be in rebuild territory with a new manager and will suffer more from the loss of O'Neil and the broad swathe of retiring senior players who will likely follow in his wake than I expect the Republic will post-McCarthy. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I could be wrong here but I think the Nations League pots are determined by the Nations League Ranking and not UEFA coefficient which is a different thing?

Yes, that is the case for tournaments going forward, I was meaning the original (last one) was based on that to start with.

Will be happy if we avoid Russia, Turkey and Israel.... not so fussed on Austria or Czech Republic, but would take Wales (Austria my preferred option)

Got a feeling we will get one of the Ireland's from pot 3 (way draw is stacked, would be shocked if we did not end up with one of them and/or Wales)

Will take Bulgaria or Romania from pot 4 (preferably Romania).

Edited by wanderer

2 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Yes that is correct.  Just as I would expect Wales, NI and all other countries to likely view Scotland as the weakest in Pot 2.  

29 minutes ago, sjd1972 said:

Yes that is correct.  Just as I would expect Wales, NI and all other countries to likely view Scotland as the weakest in Pot 2.  

Our fans don’t seem to rate/respect Wales and Northern Ireland’s recent successes though. Twenty years ago, they both had no chance of qualifying, and were way down the pecking order in Europe. I wouldn’t say the situation has quite flipped, but they’ve certainly both overtaken us in recent times. I worry that many of our fans still see them both as ‘diddy’ teams that are there for the taking.

Just now, dohadeer said:

Our fans don’t seem to rate/respect Wales and Northern Ireland’s recent successes though. Twenty years ago, they both had no chance of qualifying, and were way down the pecking order in Europe. I wouldn’t say the situation has quite flipped, but they’ve certainly both overtaken us in recent times. I worry that many of our fans still see them both as ‘diddy’ teams that are there for the taking.

What teams in Wales/NI pots are a better draws for us?

I want Wales and NI as they are weakest teams we can draw from that pot.

5 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

If I had the choice, it would certainly be Northern Ireland, as while certainly no push over, they have shown in recent years that they can get past the likes of Luxembourg, Estonia, Belarus etc.... they had a really poor 2018, and long since peaked from Euro 2016 (plus they will be on the hunt for a new manager soon).

Wales, with Bale alone he could inflict damage on us without breaking a sweat, but would still take them ahead of Russia.

Edited by wanderer