UEFA nations league 20/21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

UEFA nations league 20/21

Terry Munro

Not seen a thread for this so starting one as the draw is on Tuesday

Some potentially good ties. Not sure if it's going to be part of world cup qualifying like the last one was with the Euros, but either way it still beats loads of shite friendlies

Pot 1: Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Republic
Pot 2: Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland
Pot 3: Slovakia, Turkey, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland
Pot 4: Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary, Romania

2 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

Not seen a thread for this so starting one as the draw is on Tuesday

Some potentially good ties. Not sure if it's going to be part of world cup qualifying like the last one was with the Euros, but either way it still beats loads of shite friendlies

Pot 1: Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Republic
Pot 2: Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Finland
Pot 3: Slovakia, Turkey, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland
Pot 4: Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary, Romania

We look a lot more out of our depth in that league than we did in the previous one.

I believe that there’s a play-off route through the Nations League again, but obviously far trickier than last time round, given that there are far fewer European qualification places up for grabs in the World Cup than the European Championships. There certainly won’t be the ‘sympathy spots’ up for grabs next time either.

Not sure about getting Wales, they always seem to turn us over ; but surely payback time. I'd take Czech Republic (even if we do get to the Euros and meet them again)

NI probably the weakest out of those third seeds and under a new manager, aging pros, how will they get on?

Bulgaria probably out of those.

3 hours ago, dohadeer said:

We look a lot more out of our depth in that league than we did in the previous one.

I believe that there’s a play-off route through the Nations League again, but obviously far trickier than last time round, given that there are far fewer European qualification places up for grabs in the World Cup than the European Championships. There certainly won’t be the ‘sympathy spots’ up for grabs next time either.

Considering it’s a level above the last one is this not a bit obvious? 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Considering it’s a level above the last one is this not a bit obvious? 

Yeah, I was just surprised at how big the jump was - from easy-looking, to looking like we’re in too deep. I suppose a lot of that is more to do with the fact that we got an easy draw last time, than the standard of the actual leagues themself.

Edited by dohadeer

1 minute ago, dohadeer said:

Yeah, I was just surprised at how big the jump was - from easy-looking, to looking like we’re in too deep. I suppose a lot of that is more to do with the fact that we got an easy draw last time, than the standard of the actual leagues themself.

Depends on the draw though. 

For instance, the following group wouldn’t be that difficult:

Czech Republic, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Israel. 

Higher quality than the last group (apart from Israel of course) but that’s to be expected. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Depends on the draw though. 

For instance, the following group wouldn’t be that difficult:

Czech Republic, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Israel. 

Higher quality than the last group (apart from Israel of course) but that’s to be expected. 

That is pretty difficult.

Israel obviously significantly lower-ranked than us, (although obviously we lost the last time we went there,) but the other two would be tough matches. Was that about the easiest draw it could be? If that’s the easiest draw, then it’s a tough league for us to be in.

Just now, dohadeer said:

That is pretty difficult.

Israel obviously significantly lower-ranked than us, (although obviously we lost the last time we went there,) but the other two would be tough matches. Was that about the easiest draw it could be? If that’s the easiest draw, then it’s a tough league for us to be in.

Of course they would be difficult. Doesn’t mean we’d be out of our depth though. 

If it was France, Germany, Italy etc. you would have a valid point. This is just your usual doom and gloom negative dross. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Of course they would be difficult. Doesn’t mean we’d be out of our depth though. 

If it was France, Germany, Italy etc. you would have a valid point. This is just your usual doom and gloom negative dross. 

You said in your previous post that the group wouldn’t be that difficult.

This post you’re saying the group WOULD be difficult.

Edited by dohadeer

We should have the courage of our convictions and have faith in our own abilities.

On that basis, out of the potential opponents I'd prefer to avoid Russia and Turkey as they are both difficult at any time.

Any of the rest I'd be happy to take on, although I'd rather avoid Wales and the Republic out of sheer boredom, having played them both several times in the last 15 years.

Favoured draw: Austria, NI, Bulgaria.

4 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

You said in your previous post that the group wouldn’t be that difficult.

This post you’re saying the group WOULD be difficult.

There is a subtle difference between being “difficult” and “that difficult”. 

The group would be difficult to win as we would not be favourites. It wouldn’t be that difficult to get enough points to avoid relegation though. 

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

There is a subtle difference between being “difficult” and “that difficult”. 

The group would be difficult to win as we would not be favourites. It wouldn’t be that difficult to get enough points to avoid relegation though. 

Yeah, agreed.

Not sure why we’re listed as pot 2, rather than pot 3, but yeah, if we drew Israel in our group, it wouldn’t be that difficult to avoid relegation!

5 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Yeah, agreed.

Not sure why we’re listed as pot 2, rather than pot 3, but yeah, if we drew Israel in our group, it wouldn’t be that difficult to avoid relegation!

The seedlings were decided using the final positions of the last Nations League with the exception that teams that should’ve been relegated were seeded below teams that were promoted. 

Please don’t ask me to clarify any of this as that is all I know. There’s plenty of info on the UEFA website if you are interested. 

23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The seedlings were decided using the final positions of the last Nations League with the exception that teams that should’ve been relegated were seeded below teams that were promoted. 

Please don’t ask me to clarify any of this as that is all I know. There’s plenty of info on the UEFA website if you are interested. 

Ah, so those pot 3 teams should have been relegated from League B, if the format hadn’t changed?

Doesn’t really matter which pot is called pot 2 and which is called pot 3, I just wondered why that was the case, but that makes sense now, thanks.