HELP!!! Repair the Hampden mural - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

HELP!!! Repair the Hampden mural

Bzzzz

Come on everyone let's get on this, its OURS!!! Its OUR history and it tells the world who gave the world fitba.... 

Let's get on it, £1, £2, a pint... just do it... it's a belter, no... it's beautiful.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/repair1sthampdenmural

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=652653692161803&id=169399850487192

Donated 40 quid. 👍

It’s an absolute travesty why our authorities are not behind this. A bloody sin that we could genuinely have proof of our contribution to World fitba’ and the powers that be don’t give a fuck.

For anybody who whines about historic jerseys, classic World Cup games or just memories of old stadiums then waken up and see that we have some real history here that gave the World all of the aforementioned. 

Edited by WCTA

A serious question. The choice of match depicted on the mural of the 1882 fixture has always puzzled me.

It was by no means the first time Scotland had played at the first Hampden which was back in 1878.

The result then - 7-2 in Scotlands favour - was at least ass impressive as the 5-1 victory and there was  also a 5-4 win in 1880.

We never actually lost to the Auld Enemy at that stadium so can someone explain the choice of the 1882 game being showcased?

29 minutes ago, Catchart Circle said:

A serious question. The choice of match depicted on the mural of the 1882 fixture has always puzzled me.

It was by no means the first time Scotland had played at the first Hampden which was back in 1878.

The result then - 7-2 in Scotlands favour - was at least ass impressive as the 5-1 victory and there was  also a 5-4 win in 1880.

We never actually lost to the Auld Enemy at that stadium so can someone explain the choice of the 1882 game being showcased?

Isn’t it something to do with Andrew Watson?

7 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

Possibly as Watson is depicted in the mural. Always assumed the point was to highlight the site of the first Hampden though.

Yes, main thing is the first Hampden but there is SO much history attached to it! 

Watson was part of the Scotland team at the time and captained us too! a real pioneer of his time! 

15 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Yes, main thing is the first Hampden but there is SO much history attached to it! 

Watson was part of the Scotland team at the time and captained us too! a real pioneer of his time! 

Appreciate that Watson - one of the players featured - played in the 5-1 game.

Still doesn't explain why this result was chosen.

For me it should have been the first International played there which, incidentally, had a more impressive scoreline.

Just curious as to what the thinking was behind the decision.

13 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t want to be a merchant of doom or anything but if the mural is restored what’s to stop it being defaced again? 

Tend to agree that the perpetrators will look upon this as a tit for tat challenge.

Examples of similar graffiti can be seen all along the railway line from Central Station.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was desecrated within a day of any restoration.

7 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

Tend to agree that the perpetrators will look upon this as a tit for tat challenge.

Examples of similar graffiti can be seen all along the railway line from Central Station.

We will make sure it and we are well prepared. 

21 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t want to be a merchant of doom or anything but if the mural is restored what’s to stop it being defaced again? 

8 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

Sadly agree. I would imagine it was targeted by someone with an anti Scotland mentality. This will be defaced over and over.

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

From the guy who makes his whole identity on here anti scotland.

Bzzzz min... looks like it was inside job.

😂😂😂 cannae see it somehow 🤩😂

Well, it wisnae me anyway! 🤣

9 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Sadly agree. I would imagine it was targeted by someone with an anti Scotland mentality. This will be defaced over and over.

I'm not convinced it was anti Scottish as similar grafitti can be seen the length of the railway line.

Unfortunately the publicity could be counter productive as not only can their handiwork be seen by rail passengers it has also been highlighted in the newspapers.

These people thrive on publicity and exposure.

On 2/23/2020 at 9:23 PM, thplinth said:

From the guy who makes his whole identity on here anti scotland.

Bzzzz min... looks like it was inside job.

I have donated twice so in message board logic I am a bigger fan than you. 

On 2/23/2020 at 9:26 PM, Catchart Circle said:

I'm not convinced it was anti Scottish as similar grafitti can be seen the length of the railway line.

Unfortunately the publicity could be counter productive as not only can their handiwork be seen by rail passengers it has also been highlighted in the newspapers.

These people thrive on publicity and exposure.

True, but we will be putting up some pretty substantial measures to try and avoid repeat attacks. No point asking for funding for something that could just happen all over again!  ;)

BOOM!!!! We've done it! Well done and thanks to all those that donated! Can't wait to get going with the repair work! 

We are going to keep the crowwdfunder open until the Play Off, the more we raise the better protected it will be!!! 

Watch this space! 

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/repair1sthampdenmural

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent night at the TASA quiz night last night 👍 

£527 raised from a fantastic night which went very well (if I do say so myself....) of which £200 went towards the restoration of the mural and the rest towards TASA which every penny of will go straight to future donations.

Hopefully the first of many events at a fantastic and historical venue 

Edited by wanderer

23 hours ago, wanderer said:

Excellent night at the TASA quiz night last night 👍 

£527 raised from a fantastic night which went very well (if I do say so myself....) of which £200 went towards the restoration of the mural and the rest towards TASA which every penny of will go straight to future donations.

Hopefully the first of many events at a fantastic and historical venue 

Agree 100%, well done fella! a great night indeed! Fingers crossed many more to come ! 

• 3 months later...