Playoff injury thread.. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Playoff injury thread..

Big Ramy 1314

14 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Armstrong has played on the right since his run in the team, very good form but no enough to displace Forrest. Unless of course he’s considered by Clarke to play in the central midfield which I would have no arguments against as he’s been good enough to make a argument for.

also, Christie has just found his way back into the team and after Ntcham’s performance in Europe I can see finding his way into the team, Fraser has been extremely poor this season, id struggle to see why he’d get ahead of Forrest or make a case for him to get in, unless he improves his from and he starts on the left and Forrest on the right. 

In regards to our midfield aswell, I’m 50/50 with McGregor, on his day he’s an exceptional player and looked like he was getting back into form but was poor against Copenhagen despite the assist had some poor decision making. Time will tell come the playoffs. 

Fraser hasn’t been extremely poor this season. Since January he’s been playing very well. Bournemouth as a whole have been poor this season. Fraser has struggled to get the assist numbers from last season because of this.

He’d be in my starting 11. 

11 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Fraser hasn’t been extremely poor this season. Since January he’s been playing very well. Bournemouth as a whole have been poor this season. Fraser has struggled to get the assist numbers from last season because of this.

Saying that, looks like he’s been dropped to the bench today 😂

On 2/21/2020 at 11:24 AM, RabtheBruce said:

It’s reported that John McGinn has been running on an anti-gravity machine and will be training on grass this weekend. Sounds promising and hopefully he’ll have a few competitive games under his belt plus a couple of under-23 games before the play-offs.

An anti-gravity machine you say.  The end of aircraft is near, we could just sit on this and wait for our destinations to revolve to us at 1000mph 😁

On 2/23/2020 at 1:18 PM, RabtheBruce said:

Great to see McTominay back on the bench for Man Utd today. Hopefully he’ll have plenty of game time and be back up to match fitness for the play-offs.

Man. United got Brugge on Thursday. Think both legs of the next round of europa are before the internationals, add in FA cup 5th round and potentially quarter finals on the 21s-22nd March and a couple of premier league games and that is more than enough to get him up to speed as he'll be a starter before long ago.

Not sure on McGinn. Seems the target is Chelsea at home on March 14th for his return. If Newcastle win their cup match then Villa's next league match would be postponed so at best it looks like he'll get one sub game before the play offs.

Guess with his quality he'll still be in the squad but can only see him on the bench. At least there are other midfielders who are in form and can chip in with goals as Fleck and Armstrong have been doing last few months. In these high intensity play offs you can't be gambling with off the pace players really.

On 2/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I think his contract situation probably hasn't helped him being in and out of the side.

On 2/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Fraser is too unreliable for a game like this. I’d play Forrest on the left and Armstrong on the right. 

7 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Fraser is too unreliable for a game like this. I’d play Forrest on the left and Armstrong on the right. 

Agree re Fraser but I'd play Christie on the right, if McGinn not fit then Armstrong in the hole

McTominay McGregor

Christie McGinn/Armstrong Forrest

Griffiths

Would be my front 6

18 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Man. United got Brugge on Thursday. Think both legs of the next round of europa are before the internationals, add in FA cup 5th round and potentially quarter finals on the 21s-22nd March and a couple of premier league games and that is more than enough to get him up to speed as he'll be a starter before long

Debatable whether he'll be back in starting 11 as they've improved

15 hours ago, Bino's said:

Debatable whether he'll be back in starting 11 as they've improved

He probably will seeing as this is a part of the season when some players begin to tire out. Injuries and suspensions will inevitably occur too. It helps that to some extent he is a favourite of his manager too.

11 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

The 6 should be - 

McGregor - McTominay

Forrest - McGinn* - Fraser

Griffiths

*Christie comes in if McGinn doesn't make it.

What about Armstrong, Fleck and McBurnie? 

I’d have all three of those players in the team, given their current club performances.

3 hours ago, dohadeer said:

I’d have all three of those players in the team, given their current club performances.

It's a nice problem to have. We can debate over at least 8 different high quality midfielders. So, if someone is not fully fit or off form, it is not as devastating. I don't think we could have said that at any time in the past 2 decades. That is the mark of a good international team.

Up front is also far healthier than it was in recent months. Naismith has proven he is a more than adequate back up striker. It's a shame he isn't more prolific, because his movement is phenomenal. Griffiths is by far and away our most natural finisher. McBurnie has his qualities, but with our midfield, we don't want any chances being wasted. Griffiths has to start, in my opinion.

4 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Armstrong starting wouldn't upset me.  I just think the players I mentioned are better, but don't think there is much in it.

Fleck is having a great season but he's so inexperienced at this level I just can't justify him ahead of any of the midfield 3.  

McBurnie ahead of Griffiths would be a huge gamble.  I've often stuck up for McBurnie on here but it's hard to make an argument for him ahead of Griffiths on current form. 

29 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It's a nice problem to have. We can debate over at least 8 different high quality midfielders. So, if someone is not fully fit or off form, it is not as devastating. I don't think we could have said that at any time in the past 2 decades. That is the mark of a good international team.

Up front is also far healthier than it was in recent months. Naismith has proven he is a more than adequate back up striker. It's a shame he isn't more prolific, because his movement is phenomenal. Griffiths is by far and away our most natural finisher. McBurnie has his qualities, but with our midfield, we don't want any chances being wasted. Griffiths has to start, in my opinion.

Our midfield has been of a consistently decent standard for pretty much all of the past two decades.

It’s the huge decline in standard of our defence and attack, that has seen us sink to where we are now.

3 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Our midfield has been of a consistently decent standard for pretty much all of the past two decades.

It’s the huge decline in standard of our defence and attack, that has seen us sink to where we are now.

We've had some good midfielders in the likes of Ferguson, Fletcher, Lambert and Brown but I'm not sure we've had anywhere near the strength we have now.  

Agree about defence and forwards.  I'd also add goalkeepers to the list.  

33 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

We've had some good midfielders in the likes of Ferguson, Fletcher, Lambert and Brown but I'm not sure we've had anywhere near the strength we have now.  

Goalkeepers have been fine I think?!

Having a choice between Gordon, Marshall and McGregor, for most of the past 15 years, has been a very nice situation to be in. All very good goalkeepers.

31 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Agreed. I didn't say we didn't have good midfielders, just far less to choose from. When McFadden, Maloney et al were injured, we were significantly weakened. Now, it seems we have a lot of strength in depth.

Forwards as well? It's maybe too soon to say Griffiths is back to his best. But having an EPL striker (Mcburnie), a proven international player with bags of experience (Naismith), an up and comer (Shankland) as well as Griffiths, is one of the strongests we've been in years. 

We were heavily reliant on Kenny Miller for many years.