Playoff injury thread.. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Playoff injury thread..

Big Ramy 1314

Tierney won’t make it. Even if he does return to the Arsenal squad before the playoffs there’s no way he’ll join up with the Scotland squad. 

McGinn and McTominay are almost ready to return I think and will hopefully get at least 2 or 3 matches under their belts before the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Tierney won’t make it. Even if he does return to the Arsenal squad before the playoffs there’s no way he’ll join up with the Scotland squad. 

McGinn and McTominay are almost ready to return I think and will hopefully get at least 2 or 3 matches under their belts before the playoffs.

Great news👍

I hope McGinn is back as he would be a sure bet to start. McTominay would be close to starting but would be great to have in the squad especially if we get to the final as no doubt we will pick up injuries.

I gave up on Tierney a while back, but hope the lad can at least kick start his club career soon.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

There's no way we should be playing anyone who's had 2 games back after months lay off

They'll be well below par

25 minutes ago, Bino's said:

There's no way we should be playing anyone who's had 2 games back after months lay off

They'll be well below par

Three full games should be more than enough. If they are fit enough to play a full 90 minutes for their clubs they can play 90 minutes for Scotland. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

As long as both are back and match fit aye it will be good news. 

Won’t be taking anything for granted until the they are back playing and the squad is announced though. 

Question for clarity. Say McGinn is fit and playing for Villa and wants to play for Scotland, does Villa have the right to not release him as a fear of injury reoccurring. I honestly dont know the answer.. Think I have seen in the past some clubs not letting their players go on International duty as they pay their wages..?

1 minute ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Question for clarity. Say McGinn is fit and playing for Villa and wants to play for Scotland, does Villa have the right to not release him as a fear of injury reoccurring. I honestly dont know the answer.. Think I have seen in the past some clubs not letting their players go on International duty as they pay their wages..?

Clubs can’t prevent players from playing for their country (in theory anyway). They can do what Arsenal did with Tierney last year and as the relevant FA not to select a player for whatever reason. It’s up to that FA whether to allow this or not.

If a player misses an international match the relevant FA can invoke the 5 day rule which would prevent the player from playing for their club for 5 days after the international break ends. This is rarely used although the Northern Irish FA did it a while back when Kyle Lafferty pulled out of a squad. 

Plenty of players would happily skip a Scotland game if their club asked them to but I don’t believe John McGinn would do this. Certainly not for such a big game anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Clubs can’t prevent players from playing for their country (in theory anyway). They can do what Arsenal did with Tierney last year and as the relevant FA not to select a player for whatever reason. It’s up to that FA whether to allow this or not.

If a player misses an international match the relevant FA can invoke the 5 day rule which would prevent the player from playing for their club for 5 days after the international break ends. This is rarely used although the Northern Irish FA did it a while back when Kyle Lafferty pulled out of a squad. 

Plenty of players would happily skip a Scotland game if their club asked them to but I don’t believe John McGinn would do this. Certainly not for such a big game anyway. 

Cheers, thought I remembered something to this nature with Tierney. Makes sense now.. 👍

9 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I hope Dohadeer, The Dark Knight, Chripper, TDK & all their other personalities fingers are badly injured during the play offs and they can type hee-haw 

He has no interest in the playoffs so i expect he wont be posting.

2 hours ago, RabtheBruce said:

It’s reported that John McGinn has been running on an anti-gravity machine and will be training on grass this weekend. Sounds promising and hopefully he’ll have a few competitive games under his belt plus a couple of under-23 games before the play-offs.

That's good news if true. His scoring record for Scotland in his last few matches is very good.. 

9 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Stuart Armstrong please.

Now he’s getting a regular a Southampton I wouldn’t disagree. Finding our ideal midfield will give Clarke a real headache as he has several good players to choose from.

It’s a pity we don’t have the same problem with central defenders. 

Guest ElChris04
15 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Now he’s getting a regular a Southampton I wouldn’t disagree. Finding our ideal midfield will give Clarke a real headache as he has several good players to choose from.

It’s a pity we don’t have the same problem with central defenders. 

Armstrong has played on the right since his run in the team, very good form but no enough to displace Forrest. Unless of course he’s considered by Clarke to play in the central midfield which I would have no arguments against as he’s been good enough to make a argument for.

also, Christie has just found his way back into the team and after Ntcham’s performance in Europe I can see finding his way into the team, Fraser has been extremely poor this season, id struggle to see why he’d get ahead of Forrest or make a case for him to get in, unless he improves his from and he starts on the left and Forrest on the right. 

In regards to our midfield aswell, I’m 50/50 with McGregor, on his day he’s an exceptional player and looked like he was getting back into form but was poor against Copenhagen despite the assist had some poor decision making. Time will tell come the playoffs. 

Edited by ElChris04

4 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Armstrong has played on the right since his run in the team, decent form but no enough to displace Forrest. 

also, Christie has just found his way back into the team and after Ntcham’s performance in Europe I can see finding his way into the team, Fraser has been extremely poor this season, id struggle to see why he’d get ahead of Forrest or make a case for him to get in, unless he improves his from and he starts on the left and Forrest on the right. 

In regards to our midfield aswell, I’m 50/50 with McGregor, on his day he’s an exceptional player and looked like he was getting back into form but was poor against Copenhagen despite the assist had some poor decision making. Time will tell come the playoffs. 

Maybe exceptional in the league but never for Scotland 

Guest ElChris04
Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

Maybe exceptional in the league but never for Scotland 

Won’t argue with that, but saying that how many players who have been good for there clubs perform for Scotland? Not many.