Favorite Scottish meal, and other meal.. - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Favorite Scottish meal, and other meal..

1 hour ago, irnbruman said:

Just recovering from the virus and got ma appetite back. I cant get back to Scotland just now ..could fucking murder a couple of rolls on square sausage wi a couple of pies. 

Otherwise for me its Chicken Dopiaza and any sort of ice cream.

Fuck man. Glad you ok that the main thing.. 👍👍

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Fuck man. Glad you ok that the main thing.. 👍👍

It never got any worse than mild symptoms for me.I was lucky .but thw tight chest and not being able to take a deep breath was the worst it got. However I went out shopping on Thursday after nine days isolation and ive been goosed since in terms of being really tired. Still craving a pie 

5 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

It never got any worse than mild symptoms for me.I was lucky .but thw tight chest and not being able to take a deep breath was the worst it got. However I went out shopping on Thursday after nine days isolation and ive been goosed since in terms of being really tired. Still craving a pie 

Did you get tested for COVU-19?

How did the bog roll situation go? Did you ever get to the stage of rationing and/or recycling?

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Did you get tested for COVU-19?

How did the bog roll situation go? Did you ever get to the stage of rationing and/or recycling?

Didn't get tested but if you get it , it seems quite obvious. Never had anything other than a cold since 2012, any other virus has you feeling like shit , but this one for me was all the symptoms - dry persistent cough, fever feeling hot all over, tight chest where I couldbnt take a deep breath - but never felt unwell. 2 of my 3 colleagues doing the same job in different locations all had the same - but one common thing we had that they don't mention is one instance of coughing up blood - fortunately only occurred once - nearly shit myself. As I said elsewhere my daughter got it (not seen her since xmas) she's 31 and it was a close call with her nearly having an ambulance called when she had breathing difficulties - fortunately subsided - shes recovered now but still feeling washed out.

I was down to one bog roll before I could get out - special mention to Co-op own brand soft tissued - superb . I had enough food to last but its a strange feeling picking what to eat cos once its gone its gone. Appetite was a bit down so I was only snacking and I eat like a horse normally,

The whole experience showed me how lucky I was and how serious it is and how it can easily destroy people if their body can't fight it.

Decided to make a nice dinner the night for me and the misses, (I know I'm a chef, and I should make her a nice dinner all the time, but I am usually working, and on my days off, the last thing I want to do, is fecking cook).

So given the fact that I ain't working just now, I thought I would put in a wee bit of effort, and make her a nice meal, put a wee smile on her face, and you never know, maybe a wee bit of romance later.

So anyway, I spend 4 hours in the kitchen making a wee 3 courser for the pair of us,

For starters

Pan fried Scallops (Saw them in Aldi, and thought feck it, the wet suit and saw table can wait) on a bed of wilted spinach, with Parmesan,  lardon's, and croutons.

Main

Steak Pie, turned veg and Mash Tatties

Dessert

Cranachan with shortbread fingers

Afters

Cup a coffee for her, and 4 can for me.

Result

Complete waste of fecking time, she's currently on the couch, half pished after her 2nd bottles of vino colapsso, and is currently putting a pretty big dent into her 3rd, watching some sh^te on the telly, about lard ersed yanks buying wedding dresses, and I'm on a fecking message board.

So who ever said romance was dead, was fecking right.

8 hours ago, irnbruman said:

Didn't get tested but if you get it , it seems quite obvious. Never had anything other than a cold since 2012, any other virus has you feeling like shit , but this one for me was all the symptoms - dry persistent cough, fever feeling hot all over, tight chest where I couldbnt take a deep breath - but never felt unwell. 2 of my 3 colleagues doing the same job in different locations all had the same - but one common thing we had that they don't mention is one instance of coughing up blood - fortunately only occurred once - nearly shit myself. As I said elsewhere my daughter got it (not seen her since xmas) she's 31 and it was a close call with her nearly having an ambulance called when she had breathing difficulties - fortunately subsided - shes recovered now but still feeling washed out.

I was down to one bog roll before I could get out - special mention to Co-op own brand soft tissued - superb . I had enough food to last but its a strange feeling picking what to eat cos once its gone its gone. Appetite was a bit down so I was only snacking and I eat like a horse normally,

The whole experience showed me how lucky I was and how serious it is and how it can easily destroy people if their body can't fight it.

I think the breathing thing is the difficult side of it. People tend to panic and fight for breath when you really need to relax and battle your natural instincts. 

Good to hear you've come through it bud 👍

13 hours ago, Grumpyauldgit said:

Decided to make a nice dinner the night for me and the misses, (I know I'm a chef, and I should make her a nice dinner all the time, but I am usually working, and on my days off, the last thing I want to do, is fecking cook).

So given the fact that I ain't working just now, I thought I would put in a wee bit of effort, and make her a nice meal, put a wee smile on her face, and you never know, maybe a wee bit of romance later.

So anyway, I spend 4 hours in the kitchen making a wee 3 courser for the pair of us,

For starters

Pan fried Scallops (Saw them in Aldi, and thought feck it, the wet suit and saw table can wait) on a bed of wilted spinach, with Parmesan,  lardon's, and croutons.

Main

Dessert

Afters

Result

Complete waste of fecking time, she's currently on the couch, half pished after her 2nd bottles of vino colapsso, and is currently putting a pretty big dent into her 3rd, watching some sh^te on the telly, about lard ersed yanks buying wedding dresses, and I'm on a fecking message board.

:lol:

Four hours????????

You cannae be much of a cook, Jamie Oliver would have done it in a fraction of that. And, probably got a hump anaw.

14 hours ago, Grumpyauldgit said:

For starters

Main

Dessert

Afters

Result

Using my life experience... how did wake up time go for you this morning?

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

:lol:

Four hours????????

You cannae be much of a cook, Jamie Oliver would have done it in a fraction of that. And, probably got a hump anaw.

I can't be that bad of a chef, I've managed to survive 27 years in the business, got trained by John Weatherburn (Manager of the Scottish culinary team), Willie Deans (Scottish chef of the year 3 year on the bounce if I remember correctly) and John Mullen (Former sugarcraft world champion).

I have worked with Nick Nairn (I was part of his team that got a star), John Webber (The guy that taught Gary Rhodes), and the late and very great Andy Fairlie (I can cook, but Andy was a fecking genius, far better in my opinion than Ramsay, and a hell of a better human being). I then spent 12 years as Scottish area chef for one of Britain's largest pub/restaurant chains, before stress, depression and a change of management, forced me out of that job.

Since then I have worked for my mate, just as a chef, nothing fancy, just straight forward cooking, and I love it.

I can go into work, do my job, have a laugh, sometimes even have a wee cheeky beer or 10, and go home at night, no working away for month's on end, no hassel worrying about stars, stocks or what some wee smarmy food critic has to say about the quality of a goga berry flavored panna cotta (It tasted sh^te, but It wasn't my recipe, so I really didn't give a feck).

As for taking 4 hours to make the meal, if had a kitchen the size of that wee lispy cockney fud nugget, I could have done it in 2, but when your kitchen is the size of a fecking shoebox, and you can only do 1 job at a time, 4 hours is no bad, when you consider I had to make everything from scratch, (pastry, shortbread, cook the stew, ect).

As for the lack of romance, ask your maw, she said I gave her the best 30 seconds of her life (30 sec includes cuddles, and a fag).

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Using my life experience... how did wake up time go for you this morning?

Rough as a badger, 4 can became 15 with some voddie thrown in, thank feck I am off work.

On 4/1/2020 at 10:26 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Yassssssss. Ma best mince n tatties yet.. Wee bit more curry and Worcestershire sauce.. Ya beauty..🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

20200401_172433.jpg

I ain't never seen mince like that before. Don't get me wrong my missus is a terrible cook and I dissuade her from cooking at every opportunity and only eat her food if I have no choice. Your mince makes me realise I have been unfair to her.

Yassssssss. Ma best mince n tatties yet.. Wee bit more curry and Worcestershire sauce.. Ya beauty..🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

20200401_172433.jpg

Jeez Ramy, I hope you're a good ride 🤣

On 3/24/2020 at 5:23 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Chef Ramy at it again. Stewed sausages and onions wae curry powder in the crock pot.. 👍👍👍🍽🍴

Screenshot_20200324-132128_Gallery.jpg

20200401_172433.jpg

Ramy, have you ever tried ‘browning’ your meat ? 

20200401_172433.jpg

That looks fuckin horrendous. I just showed it to my cat and it turned around and coughed up a furball in protest. 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Ramy, have you ever tried ‘browning’ your meat ? 

4 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

That's what that plug is for..🤣🤣🤣🤣

Aw man, I've just choked on my beer 😂