Labour Leadership - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Labour Leadership

51 minutes ago, aaid said:

Jackie Baille was elected as deputy branch manager yesterday. 

British Labour in Scotland clearly still not listening

Doubling down it would seem

Leonard's tea is oot

Edited by Ally Bongo

30 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Surprised Lisa Nandy did so poorly. 

I'm not, she was always likely to be squeezed out by the two factions.  She got a bit more that I thought she'd get.

Probably most people's second choice though.  

Edited by aaid

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

British Labour in Scotland clearly still not listening

Doubling down it would seem

Leonard's tea is oot

Apparently the only other candidate couldn't even get his local branch to nominate him. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Keir Starmer elected with 56% on the first round.

Angela Rayner elected deputy on the third round.

The best result for IndyRef2. His stance on it has been more of a wait and see but continued wins for the SNP in 2021 and IndyRef2 would need to be considered. The other two were far more against it saying 'once in a generation' and no not on my watch sort of spiel.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The best result for IndyRef2. His stance on it has been more of a wait and see but continued wins for the SNP and IndyRef2 would neeb to be considered. The other two were far more against it saying 'once in a generation' and no not on my watch sort of spiel.

Dont know where you're getting that from.  Rebecca Long Bailey's view was along the lines of we don't support independence and would campaign against it but we can't stand in the way of democracy.  Starmer was pretty non-committal.  Nandy was clearly being fed lines from Ian Murray (who was fourth in the deputy leadership vote BTW)

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Dont know where you're getting that from.  Rebecca Long Bailey's view was along the lines of we don't support independence and would campaign against it but we can't stand in the way of democracy.  Starmer was pretty non-committal.  Nandy was clearly being fed lines from Ian Murray (who was fourth in the deputy leadership vote BTW)

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18193570.labours-keir-starmer-says-snp-win-2021-mandate-indyref2/

https://news.stv.tv/politics/keir-starmer-indyref2-a-matter-for-people-in-scotland?top

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/snp-mandate-indyref2-win-2021-21378673

Far more open to the idea than the other two candidates by a long way who are very anti-Scottish Independence.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Do not kid yourself

Nobody in British Labour will ever entertain the idea of Scottish Independence when it comes to the crunch

NOBODY

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Keir Starmer elected with 56% on the first round.

Angela Rayner elected deputy on the third round.

Starmer was definitely the best candidate of the three, if Labour are serious about winning a general election this decade.

Jackie Baillie though...seemingly her opponent was a councillor.  Not an MP, not an MSP, but a councillor!  When your choices for deputy leader are a councillor and Jackie fecking Baillie you know your party is in the doldrums. Slab are in Lib Dem territory at the moment!

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't think for one second any of the support independence, the difference is whether or not they would block a referendum.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/15/rebecca-long-bailey-labour-cannot-refuse-scottish-referendum-request-leadership

16 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Do not kid yourself

Nobody in British Labour will ever entertain the idea of Scottish Independence when it comes to the crunch

NOBODY

Well apparently there were around about one third of their voters at the last general election that did.  

Not being in favour is perfectly acceptable, not a position I agree with but a valid one nonetheless.   What isn't acceptable is blocking that even being put to the electorate.  

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That is not my point. My point is that he is much less anti-independence than the other two candidates. Do you disagree with that?

When it comes to the crunch Yes IMO

British Labour are every bit Unionist and Establishment as the Tories 

Now he is leader you will see a different tone anytime he is asked about it from now on or the closer it gets

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

When it comes to the crunch Yes IMO

British Labour are every bit Unionist and Establishment as the Tories 

Now he is leader you will see a different tone anytime he is asked about it from now on or the closer it gets

Becoming leader did not depend on him appearing susceptible to IndyRef2 so why did he come across that way? I'd say he does not feel so strongly about it as the other two candidates most certainly did. They would rather have their innards taken out that allow Scotland IndyRef2. Would not say the same of Starmer.

On 4/4/2020 at 6:00 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Becoming leader did not depend on him appearing susceptible to IndyRef2 so why did he come across that way? I'd say he does not feel so strongly about it as the other two candidates most certainly did. They would rather have their innards taken out that allow Scotland IndyRef2. Would not say the same of Starmer.

Just made Quisling Murray his shadow Scottish Secretary

Didnt take me long to be proven right

16 hours ago, aaid said:

Wasn't really much in the way of competition was there. 

Exactly.

I am staggered that people cannot see that the two losing candidates are vehemently against ANY second indy ref. The winning candidate has not aired those same opinions and has been open to IndyRef2. Seemingly, though some here would have preferred the former to win?

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Exactly.

I am staggered that people cannot see that the two losing candidates are vehemently against ANY second indy ref. The winning candidate has not aired those same opinions and has been open to IndyRef2. Seemingly, though some here would have preferred the former to win?

You still spouting that nonsense.  Lisa Nandy might have been but Rebecca Long-Bailey certainly didn't take that view

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

You still spouting that nonsense.  Lisa Nandy might have been but Rebecca Long-Bailey certainly didn't take that view

Perhaps it was other candidates knocked out before the last three then. Apologies to Rebecca Long-Bailey but what she has said is only what Starmer said too.