Labour Leadership - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Labour Leadership

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Angela Rayner threatening to come and stay in Scotland to help Labour win 2021 Scottish elections. Start worrying if she moves next door to you.

Because exactly what Scottish Labour needs is some gobby Northerner coming up and Britsplaining to everyone.  That'll help.

13 hours ago, kumnio said:

I don’t think it’s about progressive politics, it’s that Labour people are utterly unlikable. People can’t relate to these utter buffoons. When people relate more to the Tories, despite their policies, there’s a big issue. 

Owen Jones is a cancer in the party, people like him have fucked them up massively. He plays nothing but identity politics, is he isn’t speaking about being gay, or lgbt issues, or white right, or middle class pish, he isn’t saying anything. 

People can only stand being lectured to for so long, then they switch off. Labour passed this point a long time ago. 

Yep and doesn’t appear to see it, or if he does, he doesn’t care. He’s a dangerous character and labour has a few of them. 

The writing on the front of the roof looks a bit like "Burton" so maybe Burton Albion, but it's very blurry so maybe not.

ETA: Just googled and the images don't tally with Burton Albion's ground at all.

Edited by Alibi

9 minutes ago, Alibi said:

The writing on the front of the roof looks a bit like Burton so maybe Burton Albion, but it's very blurry so maybe not.

Too small for Burton Albion, definitely a non league ground. 

Goid spot though, I reckon it's Curzon Ashton who're in her constituency. 

Edited by aaid

7 hours ago, aaid said:

Mystery solved.  It's Hurst Cross, the home of Ashton United.

https://images.app.goo.gl/5dWKoyzYVtEmtQVw8

The nicer of the two Ashton teams.

However, totally off topic, there’s a statue at Curzon Ashton’s ground of the three players to hold World Cup winners medals who were born in Tameside. 

Anyone know who they are without Google assistance?

7 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

However, totally off topic, there’s a statue at Curzon Ashton’s ground of the three players to hold World Cup winners medals who were born in Tameside. 

You're wrong, only Simone Perrotta has won the World Cup born there.

12 minutes ago, kumnio said:

You're wrong, only Simone Perrotta has won the World Cup born there.

One other certainly won it. But the question said holder of a winners medal. Which the third one was through squad membership apparently. If not you need to let Curzon Ashton know to alter the stature 😂😂

25 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

One other certainly won it. But the question said holder of a winners medal. Which the third one was through squad membership apparently. If not you need to let Curzon Ashton know to alter the stature 😂😂

Not having it, the other two didnt win anything in my opinion 😃

47 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I do, but only because I was looking at the Wiki page earlier on.

interesting you describe Ashton United as the nicer of the two teams.  I was wondering what the dynamics of football in Ashton-under-Lyne is.   Ashton United are the older club, formed in the 1870s whereas Curzon Ashton were formed in the 1960s but somehow they play in a new ground built and paid for by the local council.  I wondered how that came about. 

i reckon if I lived there, I'd be a United man.

Reminds me of being in Harrogate last season where more than one person said "up the Railway, fuck the Town"

3 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Not having it, the other two didnt win anything in my opinion 😃

Who do you think the other two are? The tricky one you got. Perotta’s mum & dad we’re running a chippy in Ashton when he was born before they went back to Italy when he was about 5. 

Second one scored in a final so definitely earned it. He lived in a part of Ashton that had the same name-for ages I thought they must have renamed it after him!

The third was awarded the medal years later so the question being ‘holder of a winners medal’ answers the question but I agree he never won it. 

2 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Who do you think the other two are? The tricky one you got. Perotta’s mum & dad we’re running a chippy in Ashton when he was born before they went back to Italy when he was about 5. 

Second one scored in a final so definitely earned it. He lived in a part of Ashton that had the same name-for ages I thought they must have renamed it after him!

The third was awarded the medal years later so the question being ‘holder of a winners medal’ answers the question but I agree he never won it. 

I don't think youre getting the simple idea, a Scotsman denies England ever won anything joke. The other two are (IMO) obviously English, Id guess Hurst and and someone else.

6 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

If VAR had been around they'd have won loser's medals.

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

I do, but only because I was looking at the Wiki page earlier on.

interesting you describe Ashton United as the nicer of the two teams.  I was wondering what the dynamics of football in Ashton-under-Lyne is.   Ashton United are the older club, formed in the 1870s whereas Curzon Ashton were formed in the 1960s but somehow they play in a new ground built and paid for by the local council.  I wondered how that came about. 

i reckon if I lived there, I'd be a United man.

Reminds me of being in Harrogate last season where more than one person said "up the Railway, fuck the Town"

Your logic is the same as mine. Ashton is a very old school working class town. I worked around there for years & like the place for all it’s a dump. Ashton United still has the old ‘working class’ vibe about it. Curzon have been given a ground by the council which I don’t know the history of really, but it all seems a bit plastic (if you can have plastic fans in the 20th tier or wherever they are). You also have Stalybridge Celtic close by plus Mossley, Droylesden & Hyde (sold their soul...used to be Hyde United & they wore red but they were bought out by Man City to use the ground for their reserves. They had to drop the United & start wearing sky blue!). Anyway it’s a fairly crowded market around there. 

6 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I don't think youre getting the simple idea, a Scotsman denies England ever won anything joke. The other two are (IMO) obviously English, Id guess Hurst and and someone else.

Ah fair point. I’ve got too used to arguing the point about no. 3 😂😂  

Hurst is the second one, yes. Grew up I believe in the Hurst district of Ashton-under-Lyne. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...