Labour Leadership - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Labour Leadership

I think this could be quite harmful to her campaign which has been visibly struggling for a while now. I've listened quite a lot to the hustings as I'm generally undecided who to vote for, & RLB just comes across as a 'leftie' robot. Her answers often contain statements like "we need to build a mass movement" & "mobilise this or that group"...basically meaningless.

There was a bit of a surge I think (I don't 'do' or fully understand Twitter but picked this up on some of the forums) in the #expel_me_too from a lot of women activists who are deeply uncomfortable with the position of this debate & the increasing tendency in some left wing circles to equate disagreement, challenge or alternative perspectives with phobia.

19 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I think this could be quite harmful to her campaign which has been visibly struggling for a while now. I've listened quite a lot to the hustings as I'm generally undecided who to vote for, & RLB just comes across as a 'leftie' robot. Her answers often contain statements like "we need to build a mass movement" & "mobilise this or that group"...basically meaningless.

There was a bit of a surge I think (I don't 'do' or fully understand Twitter but picked this up on some of the forums) in the #expel_me_too from a lot of women activists who are deeply uncomfortable with the position of this debate & the increasing tendency in some left wing circles to equate disagreement, challenge or alternative perspectives with phobia.

I was about to post it is not limited to left wing circles but then realized the SNP are very much left wing circles now.

36 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

You can’t debate the trans issue, means you don’t recognise trans lives blah blah blah

Should probably have posted this is the other thread but surprised RLB took this approach, on numbers alone is seems like a vote loser. 

Damaging to her campaign? She is an absolute moron, surely that’s more damaging, she can’t construct a single sentence without sounding like an idiot.

If big labour want to copy wee labour up here, and purposely commit electoral suicide, then fine appoint her as leader, I genuinely wonder what Labour are up to these days, they seriously can’t be this stupid. 

They need to appoint Keir Starmer, or Boris will have a decade unchallenged. I mean, I really have no time for this party, but they need to wake up, for the UKs future. 

I normally have a lot of time for Jones but that’s just another meaningless statement.

What exactly are trans rights anyway? The right not to be treated unfairly in employment or whatever? Fine. That’s a basic human right & I have no problem with it. The right to be able to express a sense of themselves that others might not like? Ditto.

But as with any discussion of rights, once they start to impinge on someone else’s rights, for example to clearly defined gender-specific spaces such as the ladies loo, then simply calling it a ‘right’ is senseless.

I’m happy for the party to support a debate & potentially legislation longer-term to find a good balance, but simply saying support a set of demands by calling them rights is just more left-wing robotspeak. 

55 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

RLB would be like an even less charismatic Corbyn, ie. an electoral disaster waiting to happen.

I've not really been paying attention to the Labour leadership as generally I think they are all different shades of awful.

That said, I did see a clip of Rebecca Long Bailey talking to Ian Dale on LBC in which I thought she came across really well and Dale - no supporter of Labour in general and the left in particular - said similar.

If you can dig it out, its worth listening to.

Prior to this gaff i have always thought Long Bailey was the best candidate by a mile

Anytime she has been on Question Time she has been really good

Crazy

Edited by Ally Bongo

The short 2 minutes spent on Scotland in the Newsnight leaders debate with Starmer and Thornberry Laboursplaining Scotland was cringeworthy

I fucking hate them

Essentially the four of candidates are applying for two jobs: Labour leader and potential next Prime Minister. 

RLB, like Milliband and Corbyn, might appeal to many Labour members (and is likewise fairly likable) but she doesn't come across as a potential PM. 

Nandy comes across as ineffectual and Thornberry just full of herself.

Starmer isn't exactly overburdened with charisma but for me he's the only candidate who comes close to looking like a potential PM, and, I suspect, given his intellect and experience, the only candidate the Tories might genuinely fear.

It's a big decision the Labour membership have to make here - get it wrong and barring unforseen disasters the Tories are going to be in government for the next decade.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Essentially the four of candidates are applying for two jobs: Labour leader and potential next Prime Minister. 

RLB, like Milliband and Corbyn, might appeal to many Labour members (and is likewise fairly likable) but she doesn't come across as a potential PM. 

Nandy comes across as ineffectual and Thornberry just full of herself.

Starmer isn't exactly overburdened with charisma but for me he's the only candidate who comes close to looking like a potential PM, and, I suspect, given his intellect and experience, the only candidate the Tories might genuinely fear.

It's a big decision the Labour membership have to make here - get it wrong and barring unforseen disasters the Tories are going to be in government for the next decade.

Get it wrong, and Gordon Brown could end up being the last Labour PM of the UK!

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Labour has been taken over by a protest movement who would be happy for the party to be in opposition for years. Guys like Jones are activists who live on social media and make a good living from it. 

That's only part of it

I think what has happened is that in England when the Labour party try to become the Labour party they wont get elected and this is the fall out

I wouldnt say they have wised up to the Labour party as has happened in Scotland but it is something similar

I don’t think it’s about progressive politics, it’s that Labour people are utterly unlikable. People can’t relate to these utter buffoons. When people relate more to the Tories, despite their policies, there’s a big issue. 

Owen Jones is a cancer in the party, people like him have fucked them up massively. He plays nothing but identity politics, is he isn’t speaking about being gay, or lgbt issues, or white right, or middle class pish, he isn’t saying anything. 

People can only stand being lectured to for so long, then they switch off. Labour passed this point a long time ago. 

I don't think there's any single reason why Labour is in the state it's in however the recent election was probably a perfect storm for them with a "marmite" leader that a lot of their traditional base hated but who the party membership was in thrall to, a parliamentary group completely divided and at war with each other and a completely incoherent - for many - policy on the key question, Brexit.

Other than Brexit a lot of their individual policies were/are pretty popular the problem for Labour is that too many people liked to policies but didn't like the party proposing them.

Constitutional politics is really uncomfortable for Labour for a couple of reasons.  First of all, it isn't really what gets them out of bed in the morning, it's not what they want to be talking about or focussing on, they'd really rather it all went away.  Secondly, it splits right through their party unlike any other political party, including the Tories.

Indy and Brexit were both really difficult for Labour but it's safe to say that they dealt with both really, really badly and it's safe to say they still haven't worked out why what went wrong, went wrong in both cases.

in Scotland, the recent polls show that around 1/3 of people who voted Labour in 2019 support Independence and that's not even considering the hundreds of thousands of people who used to vote Labour but have moved to the SNP of the last decade.

Now obviously if you're an Indy supporting Labour voter, moving to the SNP doesn't involve the same ideological shift that a Brexit supporting Labour voter in the North of England would normally have with shifting to the Tories.   Perhaps they paid a little too much attention to that and not to the Unionists in Scotland who shifted to the Tories to know that people will but constitutional matters above their natural voting habits.

i honestly think that - as that woman said on Victoria Derbyshire - that Labour are an irrelevance in Scotland.  I don't think things are necessarily as bad for them UK wide but they really need to sort their shit out.  

Just now, aaid said:

The hustings was in Scotland, that probably explains it. 

Aye, they were in Scotland so they thought that they had to mention "Scotland" a few times without actually saying anything of any substance about Scotland. That will be mainly because none of them have any clue about what is happening in Scotland.