Nevis Rescue - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Absolutely. As was the windsurfer who was rescued by a RNLI lifeboat crew the other day when he was out in the middle of that storm against warnings issued. 

Absolute fucking rockets in both incidents. Not only being stupid enough to put their own lives at risk, but being so irresponsible that you involve others and endanger theirs.

Everybody in the RNLI and mountain rescue squad deserves at least one free punch to all involved.

4 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I’d either make them pay for the cost of the rescue or spend at least the next 10 years producing publicity material explaining how being a complete & utter moron put at least half a dozen lives at risk. 

You’d hope they would donate a decent amount after that. 

Lochaber Mountain Rescue are a charitable organisation are they not?   So did not cost youz anything.   (Chopper was not going up in that schecht.)

Plus the guys in MR do it for the bantz.   (OK, so you'd maybe check with them for confirmation 😀 )

They sound a bit daft, but the half-way lochan is pretty easy for young fit folk to reach.   They probably did not realize how thing could turn on the mountain.

Myself, I'd have said feck that for a game o' sogers.

12 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Lochaber Mountain Rescue are a charitable organisation are they not?   So did not cost youz anything.   (Chopper was not going up in that schecht.)

Plus the guys in MR do it for the bantz.   (OK, so you'd maybe check with them for confirmation 😀 )

They sound a bit daft, but the half-way lochan is pretty easy for young fit folk to reach.   They probably did not realize how thing could turn on the mountain.

Myself, I'd have said feck that for a game o' sogers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news-2-15012/tourist-22-freezes-to-death-while-on-ben-nevis-tourist-path-1-1667482/amp

This guy died not that long ago at the half-way lochan. 

10 minutes ago, WCTA said:

This guy died not that long ago at the half-way lochan. 

24 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I'd have said feck that for a game o' sogers.

Uphill is hard work, but easily doable young and fit.   Downhill if the weather turns is frightning.   Going out in Ciara was not a good decision is what I was trying to say.

You cant just leave people to die, cmon now, thats Toryesque stuff.

Ive never been up Ben Nevis, but its 'only' 1345m, so its probably not seen as dangerous by many people, which is the actual danger with it. Ive been up mountains 4 times the height, and theres been no danger at all. People will always take stupid risks, but it doesn't mean they should die.

1 hour ago, in5omniac said:

Seen on FB the guys who got rescued have given Mountain Rescue some wine, whisky chocolates and a donation.

Maybe some of the more rabid types on here might be interested in what Lochaber Mountian Rescue had to say themselves about it.

Thanks to everyone for their messages of support to the Team - very much appreciated. The incident has created a huge amount of media/public/government and international interest and comment.
The casualties admit that they made a significant error of judgement and are extremely sorry for the results of their actions. The guys were just members of the public who perhaps were unaware of what they were getting into. Not being from the UK and with very limited English, a lot of the information available to mountaineers and hill walkers would not have been accessible to them, so perhaps there is an element of mitigation in respect of their actions, clothing and lack of equipment.
At present money from the Scottish Government is channeled, via Sportscotland, quite rightly so, into the Avalanche Information Service and for training and education through centers like Glenmore Lodge and agencies such as Mountaineering Scotland. Most of this will be targeted at people who are either engaged in the sport or have an interest in taking it up. Perhaps more thought needs to be given into how to inform the general public/casual tourist about how dangerous our small mountains are and how severe our weather can get and how it will catch-out the unwary and uninformed at any time of the year.
Unfortunately it takes incidents like yesterdays to raise the profile in the media and the message has definitely got out. So there is a positive from the incident. Therefore, let us just cut the guys a little bit of slack. For those who call for charging and insurance for mountaineers/hill walkers, be careful for what ask for, as where do you stop, insurance for fishing, rugby, football all of which have more incidents and injuries than mountaineering.
Mountain rescuers are all mountaineers who volunteer their services at absolutely minimal cost to the public purse. Insurance would lead to a professional service, which, for yesterdays incident would have required about 30 full time paid people on one single shift plus equipment etc to have been able carry out and then you have the admin, health and safety, bean counter et al - all funded by tax payer. Leave as is, as we have a world class voluntary mountain rescue service which delivers via public donations.
To ensure it is sufficiently funded, we need public donations so please give to a mountain rescue team. Not all mountain rescue is about mountains and many teams outwith the Highlands, and even those in the Highlands, do provide resilience cover at times of severe weather/flooding and when the full time agencies cannot cope with scale of an incident. This is also significantly funded by donations for mountain rescue but we are sure our supporters would not grudge some of their money going back to the communities which we live in and allow access to our mountains and countryside.
Finally, we would like to thank the guys from yesterday's rescue for making the donation shown in the picture attached. These were very young guys who without any prompting made a very generous gesture which is very much appreciated. Not everyone rescued appreciates that we are not full time or not paid to be at their beck and call.
Stay safe.

But what do they know, eh.
Edited by aaid

I remember when I was over about 20 year ago, I tried this. Not to the extreme these eedjits did. I was up in Glencoe. I decided to go for a wee hike. Funnily enough I was wearing football trainers, a jumper and my bunnet of course. It was raining and a bit foggy. So I ran into these proper hikers at the bottom of the hill I was going to attempt. They were very polite. Basically told me the weather can get very ugly and the mist can come in quick and I could get disoriented, and then I'm lost. I honestly appreciated their advice and turned back. Was I an eedjit? Yes, but thankfully I bumped into experienced hikers that were kind enough to talk me out of it. That's the thing, if your not experienced or dressed for the occasion, dont so it. I will never attempt that again..

55 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I remember when I was over about 20 year ago, I tried this. Not to the extreme these eedjits did. I was up in Glencoe. I decided to go for a wee hike. Funnily enough I was wearing football trainers, a jumper and my bunnet of course. It was raining and a bit foggy. So I ran into these proper hikers at the bottom of the hill I was going to attempt. They were very polite. Basically told me the weather can get very ugly and the mist can come in quick and I could get disoriented, and then I'm lost. I honestly appreciated their advice and turned back. Was I an eedjit? Yes, but thankfully I bumped into experienced hikers that were kind enough to talk me out of it. That's the thing, if your not experienced or dressed for the occasion, dont so it. I will never attempt that again..

I cannae believe a mountain gave “The Scotsman” the heebie jeebies.

58 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Knob oot Munro bagging.....hardcore 😂