Scottish Cup.... - Page 20 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup....

11 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

Could play the game in a neutral city for a change, a bit radical but maybe even a neutral ref 🇮🇩🇮🇩🇮🇩

Not sure if you’re being serious or not, but the games always have and always will be played at hampden, quite rightly. The amount of folk if folk that greet about this fact is incredible. 

3 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Not sure if you’re being serious or not, but the games always have and always will be played at hampden, quite rightly. The amount of folk if folk that greet about this fact is incredible. 

Thought you were smart enough to see I wasn’t being serious about where the games played, the ref part tho 😜

17 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Thought you were smart enough to see I wasn’t being serious about where the games played, the ref part tho 😜

As I said, the worrying thing is that people are serious all over Aberdeen. 

The ref thing will never happen.......😆

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Agreed. It's the National Stadium, has been for near enough 150 years (give or take a couple of hundred yards)

4 hours ago, dandydunn said:

No they haven't - been to plenty Semi-Finals at Dens, Tynecastle etc. IMO Hampden should be for Finals only, would make it more of an occasion.  

I think we'll be lucky to sell 7 or 8 thousand for this game. The McInnes years have taken away the novelty factor of Semi Finals & Hampden so spending the guts of £100, and an entire day getting to neutral Glasgow, for a guaranteed defeat will have limited appeal I reckon. If I thought we had a 10-20% chance of winning it might be different. 

2 minutes ago, mr mojo risin said:

No they haven't - been to plenty Semi-Finals at Dens, Tynecastle etc. IMO Hampden should be for Finals only, would make it more of an occasion.  

I think we'll be lucky to sell 7 or 8 thousand for this game. The McInnes years have taken away the novelty factor of Semi Finals & Hampden so spending the guts of £100, and an entire day getting to neutral Glasgow, for a guaranteed defeat will have limited appeal I reckon. If I thought we had a 10-20% chance of winning it might be different. 

I agree about the semi finals. Move them to to other venues, with exceptions like Hearts v Hibs or Celtic v sevco

11 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Must piss every non old firm fan off having to borrow the Celtic or rangers ends when they play at Hampden tho.

Doesn't bother me - not played Rangers at Hampden since 94 and last 5 or 6 times against Celtic we've got West Stand which is the best for boozers (and closest to Killie)!

18 minutes ago, mr mojo risin said:

People always talk about fans being locked out of games, taken you suggest that they should be played at 20,000 seater stadiums. 

If Aberdeen can’t sell 50% of the tickets, then that’s their problem, other fans shouldn’t be made to suffer because of that. 

The problem with folk always suggesting moving games away from hampden is, after hampden at 50,000 odds capacity there’s a big drop to tynecastle/Easter road at 20,000.

Slight tangent, but even the worst attended Scotland home games get over 20k. How many games at hampden have been played in front of a sub 20,000 crowd (possibly a dead rubber like San Marino? But it was scheduled long before it was known it was a dead runner...)

Id presume the SFA and possibly SPFL are contractually obliged you use hampden too?

13 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

From a selfish point of view then I'd actually love that 

Ha, TBF you were going to RP etc when Celtic couldn't even fill one stand under Delia, so rightfully you'd be guaranteed a ticket.

I'd be the same. Was kinda like that when we got the Nomads (shudder) and only got something like 1200 official tickets. Folk were doing their dinger in about buses etc getting an allocation of tickets.

11 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

People always talk about fans being locked out of games, taken you suggest that they should be played at 20,000 seater stadiums. 

If Aberdeen can’t sell 50% of the tickets, then that’s their problem, other fans shouldn’t be made to suffer because of that. 

I'm agreeing with you very much these days Dandy.

On 3/6/2020 at 1:28 PM, dandydunn said:

Just pointing out semi-finals haven't always been at Hampden;

St Mirren (Celtic Park) - after they complained about Perth, presumably it was too neutral?

Dundee (Tynecastle)

Dundee Utd (Tynecastle) a few times

Hibs (Dens)

Dundee Utd (Dens) a few times

Dundee (Tannadice)

Hibs (Tynecastle)

St Johnstone (Tynecastle)

Bit tougher to do it since the Taylor Report but even then they could use Ibrox / Celtic Park / Murrayfield if needed. Playing the like of Morton or Motherwell at Hampden is crazy.

14 hours ago, mr mojo risin said:

Just pointing out semi-finals haven't always been at Hampden;

St Mirren (Celtic Park) - after they complained about Perth, presumably it was too neutral?

Dundee (Tynecastle)

Dundee Utd (Tynecastle) a few times

Hibs (Dens)

Dundee Utd (Dens) a few times

Dundee (Tannadice)

Hibs (Tynecastle)

St Johnstone (Tynecastle)

Bit tougher to do it since the Taylor Report but even then they could use Ibrox / Celtic Park / Murrayfield if needed. Playing the like of Morton or Motherwell at Hampden is crazy.

United also played Rangers at ‘neutral’ Ibrox a few years ago.........