Scottish Cup.... - Page 17 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup....

2 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

We are playing much better football generally than we did under Murty or Warburton, so thats a big plus. However the consistency is worrying and it may be that had those two been given the same amount of cash, they would have done the same as Gerrard.

That said very few Rangers fans would want rid of Gerrard. If Gerrard goes, it will be his decision.

If Steve Gerrard wasn’t the high profile Steven Gerrard, ex Liverpool and England, do you think he would have been given as much time? That’s why I suggested Murty or Warburton but let’s say anyone without the profile he has? I would think there would be lots wanting him that manager out.

I have watched fair bits of both losses at Tynecastle and there seems to be a complete lack of fight and quality in those two games. That being said there has been plenty of fight in the 2 OF games prior to the split. 

1 minute ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Have they? I must have missed that.

I would take Alex Thomson’s “tabloid” reporting with a pinch of salt. He was trying to claim that CBC were located in a building just outside Celtic Park and that’s where kids were abused. He even provided a very helpful map/picture with said building ringed to show how close it was to Celtic Park. Unfortunately for his claims, said building was the previous ticket office/Celtic pools shop and never housed anything to do with CBC. You would think any serious journalist making claims of this nature would have their facts correct. Obviously not....which calls into doubt all other parts of his claims IMO.

Have to say, I've never watch the actual programe, just the bit on channel four news. He said that he expect more victims to come forward after the SFA report is release in the coming months.

Thompsons are represnting the majoirty of the victims here, and they have been fairly vocal in the legal press recently about the numbers involved.

4 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

If Steve Gerrard wasn’t the high profile Steven Gerrard, ex Liverpool and England, do you think he would have been given as much time? That’s why I suggested Murty or Warburton but let’s say anyone without the profile he has? I would think there would be lots wanting him that manager out.

I have watched fair bits of both losses at Tynecastle and there seems to be a complete lack of fight and quality in those two games. That being said there has been plenty of fight in the 2 OF games prior to the split. 

Probabaly not- but you have to remember, Gerrard was pretty much a shot in the dark. We couldn't attract anyone with a decent pedegree. Have to say its worked so far overall- on the basis of the football we are playing, if not trophies. Warburton towards the end was awful to watch, and Murty never wanted the job full time.

Kent said after the game on Wednesday that they play much better when they are the underdogs. I tend to believe that. Think there a few in that team that struggle under pressure.

2 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Bold statement, with little basis in reality imo.

With Celtic now out, we get the vast majority of the marketing pool for games involving Scottish Clubs (dont think its the 100% the Daily Record said, plus a German team in the last 16). This is on top of the 7.2 million so far. Books should be pretty decent this year.

Celtic on the other have a claim lodged against them by 40 indivuduals for child abuse over a period of 40 years. Channel Four news suggested on Wednesday that this will be more than 100 by the time of the first hearing. That's a lot of compensation, if Celtic can't prove they had no links to the boys club- even if they settle out of court.

The reality I'm basing it on is (1) history. It often repeats itself (2) the club and management's level of professionalism and general competence  (3) ongoing financial losses funding by uncertain investments/debt (4)  increasing operating expenses and capital investments (e.g. Kent), funded through debt + hit and hope European adventures.

I'm speculating that after celtic got 10 in a row  investor appetite to fund ongoing losses will wane. This would be compounded should rangers fail to reach the latter stages of Europe in any season in the near future. It's obviously a prediction, but not a particularly bold one given the precarious business plan being executed, poor results on the park and the general management incompetence on display. Obviously rangers might continue to outperform in europe for the next 5 years, luck box a domestic title and win their way back to financial stability. But I think that is the less likely scenario. 

I don't see how child abuse at celtic has anything to do with whether rangers become insolvent again in the near future. 

3 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Have to say, I've never watch the actual programe, just the bit on channel four news. He said that he expect more victims to come forward after the SFA report is release in the coming months.

Thompsons are represnting the majoirty of the victims here, and they have been fairly vocal in the legal press recently about the numbers involved.

The average payout in these cases is 20-30k. Even if as many people as Thompsons claim come forward and celtic are found liable there's plenty in the bank to cover it👍

Huns clutching at straws as per 🙄

By the way Thompsons are Unison's legal reps and carved out a deal with Scottish councils that diddled equal pay claimants out of thousands so I would be wary of relying on their information 

Edited by slasher

52 minutes ago, Mox said:

Christie, as he did last season, has been abysmal from December forwards, absolutely atrocious. 

I watched the game today and although christie wasnt brilliant he was hardly as you describe.