When ( please, please, please fiba gods) We Qualify - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

When ( please, please, please fiba gods) We Qualify

The Bunnet

3 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

It IS lacking in class to be discussing progressing to the knockout stages, before we’ve even reached the finals, and when we have only around a 20% chance of doing so.

Its really not but you keep believing it.

4 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

It IS lacking in class to be discussing progressing to the knockout stages, before we’ve even reached the finals, and when we have only around a 20% chance of doing so.

It's called being a football fan and talking about/dreaming about potential scenarios for the team we all love.

Lacking class is pissing in fountains or getting fingered on the back of a megabus. You're taking this far too seriously.

Disrespecting the opposition? Piffle. 

No one here has said they expect to qualify, it's more hope than expectation. 

You think the Serbs and Norwegians ain't sitting at home talking about the same scenarios? 

Just to balance it out, if we don't qualify, I have 3 tickets for sale for Czech Republic v Israel/Serbia/Norway if anyone is interested 

1 hour ago, Terry Munro said:

I have tickets for the Croatia game that I have no intention of using unless the opposition is Scotland.

Been to a few club games as a neutral but couldn't think of anything worse than being one at an international

Imagine the fun if that turns out to be Croatia v Serbia..............in Glasgow.

Edited by Barney Rubble

9 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Yeah, that’s an interesting point.

I thought that I was as desperate for us to reach a major finals as the next Scotland fan, but it turns out that qualification handed to us on a plate, after losing SIX (!) matches in qualifying, doesn’t really do it for me.

The chances of us qualifying are relatively slim, and winning a match at Euro 2020 are even slimmer, so I don’t think the hypothetical situation you have described will ever see the light of day.

I don’t think that we can/will reach a major finals until we develop a higher calibre of centre backs.

Being honest, I think we need more than decent centre backs. 

57 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Being honest, I think we need more than decent centre backs. 

That’s the main issue at the moment though.

Centre backs that are only good enough to play for Aberdeen, Hearts and Motherwell. If the centre backs were of the same standard as our current midfield, then we’d be fairly regularly qualifying as one of the 24 teams for the European Championships.

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I used to think so but I don’t now. Chripper was quite intelligent. 

I’m reasonably intelligent as well, I think.

Not sure what evidence you have to think otherwise?! Just because you disagree with my viewpoint, doesn’t mean that I’m not intelligent.

All this discussion of qualification, has got me thinking......

It’s incredible how we almost used to take World Cups for granted, so many of us grew up with qualification being the norm. Amazing that we managed to qualify for five World Cups in a row, at a time when there were only 16 or 24 places up for grabs!

Unless the number of teams at each World Cup is increased, a Scotland fan born today, will probably only see Scotland at an average of two World Cups in their entire lifetime, given how few European places are realistically up for grabs, for non-elite teams. There are about 20-30 teams scrapping over four or five places.

How quickly and suddenly times changed for us, from regular qualification to wilderness, with only the 1994/1998 non-qualifying/qualifying in between. How were we so good in the 1970s and 1980s and then dropped drastically off a cliff since then? Obviously the splitting up of Czechoslovakia, Soviet Union and Yugoslavia, which created around 15 new teams in Europe, many of them of a standard to compete for qualification, had a major adverse effect on our chances of qualification. Putting that aside though, why has our level fallen so dramatically in the past 30 years?

44 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I’m reasonably intelligent as well, I think.

Not sure what evidence you have to think otherwise?! Just because you disagree with my viewpoint, doesn’t mean that I’m not intelligent.

You walked into the party, like you were walking on a yacht.....

47 minutes ago, WCTA said:

You walked into the party, like you were walking on a yacht.....

There’s not many positive things that I can say about myself, but I do believe that I am reasonably intelligent. Mind you, when you see Love Island and the like, it doesn’t take much to be of above average intelligence these days!

1 hour ago, dohadeer said:

There’s not many positive things that I can say about myself, but I do believe that I am reasonably intelligent. Mind you, when you see Love Island and the like, it doesn’t take much to be of above average intelligence these days!

You watch love island?

40 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Yeah, I think most of the country do!

Used to be Panorama and World in Action monday night prime time on bbc1 and itv (not sure what was on bbc 2) in 70s

really boring if you were a kid ; but population not that interested in gleaming teeth and bling back then

luckily ive only seen a few mins of it on trip back home ; seems an institution almost

btw ; would much rather have young home based centre halfs than guff like martin & hanley we ve had in the past

16 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Used to be Panorama and World in Action monday night prime time on bbc1 and itv (not sure what was on bbc 2) in 70s

really boring if you were a kid ; but population not that interested in gleaming teeth and bling back then

luckily ive only seen a few mins of it on trip back home ; seems an institution almost

btw ; would much rather have young home based centre halfs than guff like martin & hanley we ve had in the past

Where they’re based doesn’t matter. The current crop are equally as ‘guff’ as the two you mentioned, probably even more so, as those two reached English Premiership level in their careers.

At least they formed a bit of a regular partnership for a while, that’s got to be important in central defence too.

26 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Where they’re based doesn’t matter. The current crop are equally as ‘guff’ as the two you mentioned, probably even more so, as those two reached English Premiership level in their careers.

At least they formed a bit of a regular partnership for a while, that’s got to be important in central defence too.

Yes an almost telepathic understanding of knowing whos turn it was to fvck up