When ( please, please, please fiba gods) We Qualify - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

When ( please, please, please fiba gods) We Qualify

The Bunnet

26 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Website is http://www.eloratings.net/

A bit like FIFA rankings, but not a volatile (though FIFA have recently changed to something more like ELO's), plus ELO have backwards calculated to 1872.

It may be of interest to you that if we get beaten by three goals by Israel, we'll be on our worst ever rating :oops:

They kept us on edge last time, but I don't see that.   We're on an upward trajectory now, I hope.

So, they give us around a 20% chance of qualifying. Seems about right. 

Looks like they go somewhere around 40% Norway, 35% Serbia, 20% Scotland and 5% Israel, which all seem pretty fair to me. Nothing extraordinary in that.

Not sure that I agree with you that we’re on an upward trajectory - we desperately need to produce some centre backs in the next 5-10 years, or else we’re going to be stalling/going backwards for a while yet.

7 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Again, not something we should be discussing at this stage, and also a big under-estimation of Croatia and Czech Republic’s abilities. 

If you could just let me know what I should and shouldn't be discussing that would be good. 

I like talking about fitba, but if it's only the next game I'm allowed to talk about, I'll focus my attentions to Saints v Motherwell on Wednesday, could impact the squad for the next game, don't want to get to far ahead of myself though. Sorry

18 minutes ago, saintydave said:

If you could just let me know what I should and shouldn't be discussing that would be good. 

I like talking about fitba, but if it's only the next game I'm allowed to talk about, I'll focus my attentions to Saints v Motherwell on Wednesday, could impact the squad for the next game, don't want to get to far ahead of myself though. Sorry

Putting sarcasm aside....... one of the main reasons for disliking the England football team, is that the pundits are so arrogant, and are routinely talking up their chances of achievements that are way down the line, and getting way ahead of themselves.

I didn’t expect to see Scotland supporters displaying the same arrogance. It’s pretty classless behaviour, and the lack of respect being shown for the likes of Israel, Norway, Serbia, Croatia and Czech Republic is staggering.

We have just endured - I believe - the worst 18 months in our history, in terms of competitive results, and there’s somebody starting a thread about how easy it will be for us to reach the knockout stages of the European Championships?! They want their head checking.

It’s obviously not up to me to dictate what people discuss on here. Equally however, if someone writes something which is clearly absolute nonsense, then I’m going to call them out on it.

Edited by dohadeer

On 2/9/2020 at 3:30 PM, dohadeer said:

I think that we don’t deserve to qualify,

I know this is hypothetical but IF we qualify you will be watching the tournament sitting with friends saying we don't deserve to be playing in this tournament and IF Scotland win a match you will be saying we don't deserve to win because we don't deserve to be here? God you must be the life and soul of the party.

59 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

I know this is hypothetical but IF we qualify you will be watching the tournament sitting with friends saying we don't deserve to be playing in this tournament and IF Scotland win a match you will be saying we don't deserve to win because we don't deserve to be here? God you must be the life and soul of the party.

Yeah, that’s an interesting point.

I thought that I was as desperate for us to reach a major finals as the next Scotland fan, but it turns out that qualification handed to us on a plate, after losing SIX (!) matches in qualifying, doesn’t really do it for me.

The chances of us qualifying are relatively slim, and winning a match at Euro 2020 are even slimmer, so I don’t think the hypothetical situation you have described will ever see the light of day.

I don’t think that we can/will reach a major finals until we develop a higher calibre of centre backs.

2 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

There will be a major meltdown if we qualify. I will be expecting a protest to the SFA, UEFA and FIFA about how we don't deserve to be in a tournament.

If we qualify, the fans in norway or serbia will hear me celebrating in hampshire. Any scotland fan who then thinks we dont deserve to be at.a tournement is either A) not a scotland fan or B) saying it for attention

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If we qualify, the fans in norway or serbia will hear me celebrating in hampshire. Any scotland fan who then thinks we dont deserve to be at.a tournement is either A) not a scotland fan or B) saying it for attention

I think that it’s more that I don’t want us to go to the finals as ‘whipping boys,’ which Belgium and Russia showed that we are at the moment.

If we can go to the finals and be competitive, then great, but at the moment, with our defence, I’m not convinced that qualification for the sake of it is such a great achievement.

Other fans may slate me for this, or may disagree, but I’d rather Scotland not be there, than we qualify and end up scoring no goals and conceding around 10. I am worried that that is where our level is at at the moment.

Just now, dohadeer said:

I think that it’s more that I don’t want us to go to the finals as ‘whipping boys,’ which Belgium and Russia showed that we are at the moment.

If we can go to the finals and be competitive, then great, but at the moment, with our defence, I’m not convinced that qualification for the sake of it is such a great achievement.

Other fans may slate me for this, or may disagree, but I’d rather Scotland not be there, than we qualify and end up scoring no goals and conceding around 10. I am worried that that is where our level is at at the moment.

Or we get to the finals and the boys gain some much needed experience and learn some valuable lessons about tournament football. Theres the added bonus of the fans being excited and happy for once. 

7 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Yeah, that’s an interesting point.

I thought that I was as desperate for us to reach a major finals as the next Scotland fan, but it turns out that qualification handed to us on a plate, after losing SIX (!) matches in qualifying, doesn’t really do it for me.

The chances of us qualifying are relatively slim, and winning a match at Euro 2020 are even slimmer, so I don’t think the hypothetical situation you have described will ever see the light of day.

I don’t think that we can/will reach a major finals until we develop a higher calibre of centre backs.

You're obviously a glass half empty kind of a guy.

IF we qualify we will qualify in the way that EUFA have set out for all slots to be filled.

Whether it be by qualification group or nations league the slot there to be filled and if Scotland manage to fill one of them I'm gonna celebrate. 

You may see it as sneaking in the back door or being handed on a plate. I see it as what it is, a chance (that we earned) to qualify .

Exactly the same chance that every other team had at the start of the campaign. 

You really should try to be more positive and upbeat

On 2/7/2020 at 3:32 AM, dohadeer said:

For goodness sake.

I thought that it was bad enough that people were looking beyond the Israel match. Now we’ve got people looking ahead to Scotland appearing in the finals AND even to Scotland progressing to the second round. What an utterly shameless post.

Firstly, have a bit of respect/common sense, and take one match at a time. You’re not Gary Lineker/Ian Wright/Mark Lawrenson etc etc etc. 

Secondly, our team is abysmal at the moment. Coming through the home match with Israel is the limit of our abilities. Where are you getting the idea that we could be in the knockout stages of the finals? Look at our central defence and our attack. They are not of a quality to reach the last 16 of the European Championships. You did see what Belgium, Russia and even Kazakhstan did to us, didn’t you?

Bet you're some buzz at parties fs

18 minutes ago, Bono79 said:

You're obviously a glass half empty kind of a guy.

IF we qualify we will qualify in the way that EUFA have set out for all slots to be filled.

Whether it be by qualification group or nations league the slot there to be filled and if Scotland manage to fill one of them I'm gonna celebrate. 

You may see it as sneaking in the back door or being handed on a plate. I see it as what it is, a chance (that we earned) to qualify .

Exactly the same chance that every other team had at the start of the campaign. 

You really should try to be more positive and upbeat

I think that I’m just being realistic, rather than negative?

11 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I think that I’m just being realistic, rather than negative?

If you put the lottery on, realistically you're not gonna win but you hope you do?

You're saying you hope we don't win/qualify as we dont deserve it.

I'd say that's more negative than realistic

I started this thread only to say IF we qualified...IF....we could probably expect more tickets, and with home advantage might have a daft wee chance of progressing.... And qualifying this way is not a backdoor in...Every team knows the criteria and bigger countries do not worry as the majority will be there....As a PS...Scotland missed out way back in the day I think because the SFA would only go to a WC if they won the home internationals....Though not 100% on that.

1 hour ago, The Bunnet said:

I started this thread only to say IF we qualified...IF....we could probably expect more tickets, and with home advantage might have a daft wee chance of progressing.... And qualifying this way is not a backdoor in...Every team knows the criteria and bigger countries do not worry as the majority will be there....As a PS...Scotland missed out way back in the day I think because the SFA would only go to a WC if they won the home internationals....Though not 100% on that.

Yeah, that’s correct - 1950 World Cup I believe, Scotland refused their qualification/invitation (as you can imagine, I find that behavior pretty admirable!)

Qualifying through League C or League D in the Nations League is very much a backdoor in. I didn’t understand/agree at the time why they were giving those places, and I still don’t. Scotland being one of the teams to benefit doesn’t change that. Getting to a major finals by progressing through matches with Albania and Israel, and then a one-off knockout tie with Norway/Serbia is far too easy, and  doesn’t justify a place at a major finals.

Similarly, any of the paths in League D are also too easy a route, and don’t justify a place at a major finals. It’s bizarre to not want as close as possible to the 24 best teams in Europe to be playing at the finals.

As I said elsewhere, I’m a Scotland fan in 2020, but I‘ve also been a Scotland fan for the previous 20+ years of not qualifying. The blood, sweat and tears (and money!) that previous teams, and myself and other fans put in, to reach major finals, especially the Euro 2008 effort, it would seem an insult to that Scotland team in particular, if this shambles of a current team achieved a place by coming through a few matches against teams ranked 60-90 and then a one-off knockout tie against a team ranked either 23 or 39. That’s frightening that you could end up in the finals, having beaten nobody ranked higher than the 66 of Albania.

Why are you even thinking about the knockout stages of the finals, at this moment in time? Obviously if we qualified we would have a ‘daft wee’ chance of progressing, but surely that is so daft, so wee, and so distant, that it’s not worth mentioning at this point?

1 hour ago, The Bunnet said:

Its a good thread mate. Almost everyone is happy to discuss qualifying or even.better with you. 

18 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Yeah, that’s correct - 1950 World Cup I believe, Scotland refused their qualification/invitation (as you can imagine, I find that behavior pretty admirable!)

Qualifying through League C or League D in the Nations League is very much a backdoor in. I didn’t understand/agree at the time why they were giving those places, and I still don’t. Scotland being one of the teams to benefit doesn’t change that. Getting to a major finals by progressing through matches with Albania and Israel, and then a one-off knockout tie with Norway/Serbia is far too easy, and  doesn’t justify a place at a major finals.

Similarly, any of the paths in League D are also too easy a route, and don’t justify a place at a major finals. It’s bizarre to not want as close as possible to the 24 best teams in Europe to be playing at the finals.

As I said elsewhere, I’m a Scotland fan in 2020, but I‘ve also been a Scotland fan for the previous 20+ years of not qualifying. The blood, sweat and tears (and money!) that previous teams, and myself and other fans put in, to reach major finals, especially the Euro 2008 effort, it would seem an insult to that Scotland team in particular, if this shambles of a current team achieved a place by coming through a few matches against teams ranked 60-90 and then a one-off knockout tie against a team ranked either 23 or 39. That’s frightening that you could end up in the finals, having beaten nobody ranked higher than the 66 of Albania.

Why are you even thinking about the knockout stages of the finals, at this moment in time? Obviously if we qualified we would have a ‘daft wee’ chance of progressing, but surely that is so daft, so wee, and so distant, that it’s not worth mentioning at this point?

No its not daft and you are no authority to say it is. Football fans across the world dream of and discuss potential success all the time. 

Edited by vanderark14

I agree with vanderark. This is a good thread, Bunnet. Don't let one poster put you off. If everybody put the annoying, repetitive chripper impersonator on ignore and stopped quoting him it would be a great thread.

Personally. I'm not planning any further ahead than the playoffs, as I don't think we will get any further than that, but there is no reason why folk can't discuss what might happen if we do somehow sneak through. 

16 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Again, not something we should be discussing at this stage, and also a big under-estimation of Croatia and Czech Republic’s abilities. 

Not something the PLAYERS or MANAGEMENT should be discussing. A bunch of fuds on a message board that struggle playing 5 a sides discussing it will make not a jot of difference.

33 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

No its not daft and you are no authority to say it is. Football fans across the world dream of and discuss potential success all the time. 

I was quoting another poster, when I used the word ‘daft.’

I’d use the words miniscule and irrelevant at this stage.